DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad 4 Mini as Your Tablet

ScottTX

Reactions
I find my iPhone screen to be way to small for the DJ Fly app. I was thinking about getting an iPod 4 Mini.
However, I ran across a comment that this combination is "laggy".
Is anybody using an iPod 4 Mini that can comment? I would probably also tether it to my iPhone so I have (live) access to various other UAV programs.

I just purchased a refurbed Ipad mini 4 to use with my new air2s.
It's a no go.
I thought if maybe I turned off all the apps, and everything that might run in the background except the flyapp, that there would be enough ram to run it. I even turned off the video cache feature.
Barely minutes into flight I get the CPU jam packed up warning with the note that performance will be affected.

It's getting sent back as soon as my recently ordered mini 5 shows up.
Trust me, the mini 4 which I guess once worked, has now become obsolete.

I find my iPhone screen to be way to small for the DJ Fly app. I was thinking about getting an iPod 4 Mini.
Is anybody using an iPod 4 Mini that can comment? I would probably also tether it to my iPhone so I have (live) access to various other UAV programs.
It depends on the iOS installed on the mini4. If it's any version of 12 it works OK. If its 13 or 14 it becomes laggy. Sadly the iOS cannot be rolled back to an earlier version. This happened to my mini4 and I ended up purchasing a mini6.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
It depends on the iOS installed on the mini4. If it's any version of 12 it works OK. If its 13 or 14 it becomes laggy. Sadly the iOS cannot be rolled back to an earlier version. This happened to my mini4 and I ended up purchasing a mini6.
I just checked, my mini 4 says 13.4.1. So I would be forced to say that the hummingbird is speaking truth.

Thanks everyone! - So the issue is maybe insufficient RAM as opposed to insufficient CPU MIPS?

Thanks everyone! - So the issue is maybe insufficient RAM as opposed to insufficient CPU MIPS?
Somehow I believe the ram and the CPU are good buds.
I have a mini 5 coming from chinazon Bezo's, er, Amazon tomorrow.
It has 1 or 2 gigs more ram, and the Superduper plutonium A12 bionic modulator, or something.
The price wasn't too bad, but then I figured I might as well make it cell capable, even if I don't put in a sim.
I know sure as all get out, a month down the road I'll want it....
Oh, and ya might as well load 'er up with the 256 as well.
I think I spent more than I wanted, but dammit, I want to learn this thing, but don't want all those crowds of Washington's to fly off into the blue, so dammit. It's a done deal.

Anyways, if ya wanna hang tight, I'll fire it up tomorrow, if it makes it, and let you know how the 5 works.
But you'll probably move on something by then.
Here's a link https://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPad-W...+256gb+-+gold+renewed+,electronics,257&sr=1-1

Reactions: Hummingbird.UAV
Somehow I believe the ram and the CPU are good buds.
I have a mini 5 coming from chinazon Bezo's, er, Amazon tomorrow.
It has 1 or 2 gigs more ram, and the Superduper plutonium A12 bionic modulator, or something.
The price wasn't too bad, but then I figured I might as well make it cell capable, even if I don't put in a sim.
I know sure as all get out, a month down the road I'll want it....
Oh, and ya might as well load 'er up with the 256 as well.
I think I spent more than I wanted, but dammit, I want to learn this thing, but don't want all those crowds of Washington's to fly off into the blue, so dammit. It's a done deal.

Anyways, if ya wanna hang tight, I'll fire it up tomorrow, if it makes it, and let you know how the 5 works.
But you'll probably move on something by then.
Here's a link https://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPad-Wi-Fi-Cellular-256GB/dp/B07XZJC6GS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=U5JJA1NHCTH1&keywords=Apple+iPad+Mini+5th+Generation+(Wi-Fi+++Cellular,+256GB)+-+Gold+(Renewed)&qid=1644188896&s=electronics&sprefix=apple+ipad+mini+5th+generation+wi-fi+++cellular,+256gb+-+gold+renewed+,electronics,257&sr=1-1
Thanks, I'll solder on with my iPhone 8 until I get an iPad. I watch for your test results :)

Thanks, I'll solder on with my iPhone 8 until I get an iPad. I watch for your test results :)
I thought that what we were talking about, an ipad, I'm suggesting the next one up.
Oh wait, unless you're thinking big screen tv ipad.😅

Well, I actually also dug out an iPad air that I am also experimenting with - but no, an iPad mini 5 is probably what I'll end up with.
I've been using Apple products since the Apple II PC..., but Ii also help design Android Tablets.

Well, I actually also dug out an iPad air that I am also experimenting with - but no, an iPad mini 5 is probably what I'll end up with.
I've been using Apple products since the Apple II PC..., but Ii also help design Android Tablets.
If it's any consolation my mini2 with iOS 12 still works acceptably with the Mavic Air 2.

Reactions: Mr. Rocketman
The iPad Air that I am experimenting with is running iOS 12.5.4, so that's probably why this combo may work. 12.5.4 was the last iOS upgrade that was available for the iPad Air.
I am getting the "CPU overloaded" error" message though...
For an iPad Mini solution & a contemporary version of iOS, It looks like I need to go with a Mini 5.
Refurbished Apple iPad Mini 5 64GB Wi-Fi Tablets can be had for around $300.00

Last edited:
It's doesn't have enough power to run the DJI apps...I had to upgrade to the iPad 5...it works great

Sounds like the DJ Fly app is a resource hog?

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
I also had to upgrade to the mini 5 to use FLY since the updates. My mini 4 will still work with the Litchi app so all is not lost. Works great with Go 4 app too.

Reactions: buddb55
I use a Mini4 to fly my Mini (and my M2P before I bought a Smart Controller). I'm on 13.7 and while the video occasionally gets laggy I've been told that is an issue with the Wifi transmission and not the software. I've never got a CPU overloaded message.

I haven't upgraded the Fly app since last summer — saw lots of reports about it hogging resources and decided as I have no plans for a Mavic 3 I'd stick with what worked. I was given an iPhone 6s in the fall (also on iOS 13) and it gets overloaded running Fly (the newest version) even when in airplane mode — so even though the 6s is listed as a usable device it no longer is.

Reactions: Capt KO
The mini 5 didn't show up yesterday as promised, maybe today.
It's probably upside down in a big truck flipped on the Ohio turnpike in the latest wave of snow storms.:rolleyes:😂

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum