DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad for drone

xAli3Nz

Reactions
Hello!
Looking for some advice from iPad users out there.

I've been looking to get an Ipad to fly my Mavic for a while now, time has come and I'm currently deciding between Ipad mini 4 and Ipad 9.7 (6th gen 2018)
These are my thoughts on both:

Ipad mini 4: small, lightweight, easy to carry, easy to mount on controller. - Way outdated in terms of performance/price.
Ipad 9.7: Bigger screen, A10 chip. twice the performance of the ipad mini 4 but same price, high perfomance/price ratio. - Bigger, heavy.

So if the ipad 9.7 can fit in the controller easy, and is not that heavy i'd go for it, any advice from someone that actually owns one? How big/heavy really is?

Thank you!

https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?ur...94-1-1.html&text=Best+ipad+for+Mavic?&via=DJI

I went through the same thought process and ended up begrudgingly getting a iPad mini 4. The biggest factor is it fits the controller perfectly without needing other faffy bits. For me it’s all about portability/convenience. The price really annoyed me though .

There's no way I'd pay full retail for an iPad Mini at this point. If I couldn't have found a great deal on a 128GB LTE model then I'd have definitely went the iPad Pro & MavMount route.

I use an iPad Pro (10.5-inch) because it was on sale right before Christmas for not much more than the non-Pro iPad.

IMO processor speed wins out. Always go for the faster processor. I disagree that the full-size iPads are heavy, especially if you're using a lanyard.

Yes, the Mini mounts directly in the controller arms. That's a plus. But a $20 iPad mount takes care of that and I have a bigger screen and faster processor.

I use an iPad Pro (10.5-inch) because it was on sale right before Christmas for not much more than the non-Pro iPad.

IMO processor speed wins out. Always go for the faster processor. I disagree that the full-size iPads are heavy, especially if you're using a lanyard.

Yes, the Mini mounts directly in the controller arms. That's a plus. But a $20 iPad mount takes care of that and I have a bigger screen and faster processor.

I was just looking at the pro, it really is a beauty, it you say its not heavy I'd probably go for that one. May I ask what mount do you use? for the controller

I also use a 10.5 and don't have any issues with weight (don't always wear a lanyard). Never had any issues whatsoever. I use a Mavmount 3.0 and keep my ipad in its case (inc integrated pencil holder) and its spot on

How is the iPad Pro in the sunlight? Do you need to use a shade?

Last edited:
I was just looking at the pro, it really is a beauty, it you say its not heavy I'd probably go for that one. May I ask what mount do you use? for the controller
I use the previous version of this mount. I like the idea of the new one having an aluminum tightening nut rather than plastic: https://www.amazon.com/SKYREAT-Upgr...9367719&sr=8-3&keywords=skyreat+tablet+holder

If I ever have to replace it it will probably be with a LifThor, but I've been spending all my money lately on new batteries for the Mavic 2.

The Pro has an anti-reflective screen and has the brightest display of any iPad (600 nits I think, but don't quote me). Still, it isn't a Crystal Sky, so I generally still do use a shade on sunny days, which works great.

The 10.5-inch iPad Pro weighs a hair over 1 pound (469 grams). A lanyard is nice for balance, or even if you just want to let go of the controller for a bit (not while flying!) to use your hands for something else.

Reactions: Brewbud

I have a shade but don't always need or use it, just rotating myself a little can help. Going from a S8+ to the iPad was one of the best moves (albeit pricey) I did for my drones

I "assumed" the mini 4 was relatively inexpensive, :oops: wow was I surprised.
I am an Android person but researching which display (MPP) I quickly became a dedicated iPad Pro 10.5" / with cellular. I do not have it on a network. At home I can D/L maps or if I need them in the field I can create a hot spot with my cell phone. Not cheep but compared to the "4" it is not that bad.
I use a hood when I fly in the direct sun (300+ days a year of sunshine).
I want to have direct access to my RC so I use a LifThor Sif if I am not using my Titan Switch. If I am using the Titan, I use the Skyreat holder.
Just my $0.02

Just recently purchased an iPad 9.7 6th gen 32gb. Updated the iOS and stripped it of apps I could, adjusted all settings to GFY, Installed Go4 and set it to let it manage cache for video. Butter smooth and decent brightness on a nice sized display.
Hoodman combo and Mavmount 3.0 on the way!

Just recently purchased an iPad 9.7 6th gen 32gb. Updated the iOS and stripped it of apps I could, adjusted all settings to GFY, Installed Go4 and set it to let it manage cache for video. Butter smooth and decent brightness on a nice sized display.
Hoodman combo and Mavmount 3.0 on the way!
That's my setup. Love it. Went from Galaxy 5(terrible) to Wunderphone(good) to 9.7, MavMount & 2 tunnel hood. ZERO issues. Works fantastic. 20180704_122359.jpeg

Reactions: Niblett
Oh...I just ordered a Garmin GLO so I will have home position updates when filming from boats. I live in Newfoundland, Canada, we have an awesome amount of things to be filmed from the water.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet