DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad mini 4

Fergy

Reactions
Researching 1Pad mini 4 128Gb WiFi tablet it appears that it does not have GPS enabled, will I need to purchase the cellular model to fly my Mavic.

thanks John

No it will suffice to fly but you cant use the two modes iguess active track and follow me. :)

As above no GPS so you can't update your home point to the controller. You can still update to wherever the Mavic currently is if your moving around.

Personally I went for a refurb 16GB WiFi model just for the Mavic.
It has been absolutely flawless and transformed my experience compared to S8 when I started.

Its not as big as a deal as you think. I don't have celluar and everything seems to work just fine. If I want to have my home point updated on the ipad I do have to have to be tethered to my cell phone. There is also a stand alone GPS receiver you can use if you want. I have been out in the boonies without celluar service and the mavic operates just fine.

I do same as above, use my phone as a hotspot and ipad connects. I didn't buy the cellular version because my cellphone company charges $10.00 a month for an added device.

Reactions: Merlin23
Is there such thing as an iPad mini non cellular version that has GPS though? Or could you perhaps download offline maps if you know where you're flying ahead of time? Sorry, I'm an android guy but considering iPad for the mavic

Is there such thing as an iPad mini non cellular version that has GPS though? Or could you perhaps download offline maps if you know where you're flying ahead of time? Sorry, I'm an android guy but considering iPad for the mavic

I don't believe there is such an ipad.
The ios version doesn't allow offline maps unfortunately.

OK OK I have finally been worn down and have decided to go whole hog and get the iPad mini 4 WiFi Cellular, it does seem to be the most favoured and reliable.
This is a great forum for exchanging ideas and information.

thanks
fergy

Hi Active track will work just not the follow me mode
thanks

G'day EsiMavic,
Just curious why would it not work in Follow me mode.

Also while I am here, Just charging up the Tablet, anything in regards to the settings for flying the Mavic am not familiar with Apple.

thanks
fergy

Fergy, if is cellular, it has GPS, so should work with follow me and you can cache maps any time any where you have a cell signal. Besides loading the software, plugging it in to the RC you should be good to go.

I only things I got extra was a non-glare screen shield. right angle plug and don't use a back protection sleeve, then it will fit into the RC jaws.

Reactions: k3vnnyork
OK OK I have finally been worn down and have decided to go whole hog and get the iPad mini 4 WiFi Cellular, it does seem to be the most favoured and reliable.

thanks
fergy
I have the same and simply turned off Data, so no cell bill, had no issues flying close to home with cached maps and across country without the terrain maps.

As dbyantis says, just because an iPad has cellular doesn’t mean you have to activate the cellular in order to take advantage of the GPS functionality.

And there are options. T-Mobile, for example, gives you 250 MB a month of free cellular data, no other account with them necessary. And if you’re traveling and need more data you can add it in chunks for a small fee.

With Verizon, you don’t need to add it to an existing Verizon account. You can leave cellular data turned off, then buy it by the gigabyte right from the iPad as you need it.

Good point Salty. Didn't think of that. Oh well, I am stuck with my WiFi only iPad. Live and learn. But saved $100 though.

thanks
fergy
Don't forget to keep the home button on the right. Internal magnets can affect joysticks.

G'day EsiMavic,
Just curious why would it not work in Follow me mode.

Also while I am here, Just charging up the Tablet, anything in regards to the settings for flying the Mavic am not familiar with Apple.

thanks
fergy

It will not work if it is wifi only but with gps enable devices it will work
Coz it relies on gps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom