DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad mini 4

G'day EsiMavic,
Just curious why would it not work in Follow me mode.

Also while I am here, Just charging up the Tablet, anything in regards to the settings for flying the Mavic am not familiar with Apple.

thanks
fergy
Hi. It doesn't`t work in follow me mode because You need GPS in your display device to use that mode. Thanks

I only paid for my iPad mini 4 120€. the power button doesn't`t work and both cameras doesn't`t work but as a display for my baby it works perfectly. no cellular though but I don`t use follow me mode and always cacheing maps before flight. Also I don`t update my mavic, the iOS or the dji go4 so I never have any issues with my equipment

Reactions: Callum
you can purchase a Gps separately. I have a DUAL bluetooth model, but there are many others out there and you can always tether it to your iphone

N
Researching 1Pad mini 4 128Gb WiFi tablet it appears that it does not have GPS enabled, will I need to purchase the cellular model to fly my Mavic.

thanks John
Nope. You can use your cellphone as a mobile hot spot and the mini will then have the Google map screen. Works every time. After you're set, you can turn off the Hotspot. Uses very little data.

Don't forget to keep the home button on the right. Internal magnets can affect joysticks.
Wow, I have an iPad mini 4 and like to keep the home button on the left so the camera lens is not jammed into the gripping area of the controller. I don't understand your comment on keeping the home button on the right. Interesting what you say about the internal magnets affecting the joysticks. Never heard about that or had a problem yet????

Reactions: HVYMTL
Researching 1Pad mini 4 128Gb WiFi tablet it appears that it does not have GPS enabled, will I need to purchase the cellular model to fly my Mavic.

thanks John
I have used the iPad mini 2 128 gb for over 6 months and have had no problems. It fits in the controller arms.

Wow, I have an iPad mini 4 and like to keep the home button on the left so the camera lens is not jammed into the gripping area of the controller. I don't understand your comment on keeping the home button on the right. Interesting what you say about the internal magnets affecting the joysticks. Never heard about that or had a problem yet????

Neither have I! I have used my iPad mini 4 with my Mavic since the beginning (10 flight hours so far). Used it directly into the remote clamp and used a tablet holder. Both ways home button on the left. Only time I had a stick error for a split second was when my iPad cover with a magnet in it touched the remote directly. Took it away and never seen an error again.

I also have the mini 4 and home button on the left with no problems.

I have flown with my Mini4 both ways, home Botton on left and on right. Haven't had problems either way, but some have. And it makes since, There are more magnets on the left side, for the iPad covers, there is also one small magnet on the right side for the cover lock. When the side with the most magnets is located upclose to the bottom of the RC, they can effect the stick controls on the RC, and caused errors when calibrating the stick controls. If you find the MP not flying straight, some have tried to recalibrate the gimbles and found that they couldn't until they turned the iPad so that the home button was located on the right, which placed the magnets towards the bottom. If you are not having problems, do worry about it, if you are try this change and see if it will go away. If it doesn't then there is something else, probably more serious wrong.

cellular *does* have GPS, i have the cellular ipad mini 128 gb and it's awesome. loooots of space to store videos so i can edit them in DJI go 4, and I move around alot when I fly. i'll pull off the road, fly around, drive down the street, then update my home location and fly to where I'm at. the gps works without a data plan or any paid cellular service or without a sim card installed.

Because there are magnets embedded into the left edge of the iPad, used for hold the case cover closed.

If the put the home button on the left those magnets are so close to the Hall effect sensors used in the joysticks that they effect joystick calibration. Putting the Home button on the right moves the magnets far enough away the they don’t effect the joysticks.

cellular *does* have GPS, i have the cellular ipad mini 128 gb and it's awesome. loooots of space to store videos so i can edit them in DJI go 4, and I move around alot when I fly. i'll pull off the road, fly around, drive down the street, then update my home location and fly to where I'm at. the gps works without a data plan or any paid cellular service or without a sim card installed.
I assume you also hotspot your iPad mini to your cellphone?

After seeing the response to the post about having the home button on the right vs the left when mounting in the controller, I guess it makes sense if there are magnets on the left side of the iPad mini for the cover to snap into position that can effect the joy stick response. Guess I might start installed so the home button is on the right in the mounting clamps then.

I was always told to keep the home button on the left. Have been flying for over a year with no problems.
It could also be that different people are holding it differently so right to one person might be left to another. When you are referring to the magnets being in the left, is that with the home button on top or the bottom?

with the home button down, the cover magnets are along the left side. run a paper clip along the edge and see for your self. Those magnets, when unclose to the bottom of the RC, was causing the joy sticks not to properly calibrate for some. when the mini4 was turned 180 degrees, with home button on your right, the magnets were further away and did not effect the joy stick calibration. I, like probably most of us, started using the mini with the home button on the left, because that is where the iPhone button, cable connection is located, so just naturally set up the iPad that way, not knowing about the magnet issue until problems started showing up that didn't happen with the phone. Then someone mentioned the magnets. The tests and discussions took off from there. Not everyone has/had a problem, I for one did not, but then I never tried to calibrate the joy sticks with the iPad in place. but some did.

OK OK I ... decided to go whole hog and get the iPad mini 4 WiFi Cellular...." thanks
fergy

Good decision -- even better if you have actual cellular service.

After purchasing the Mavic Pro and discovering that I did not like using my Android Smartphone with it, I got the iPad Mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular version because with AT&T Next I could put nothing down and pay $26.50 per month for 20 months instead of $520 up front to ow the phone. The $10/month for the added line seemed reasonable enough for the additional access to the internet, as I was already paying for 3GB/month of data and not using it all with my Smartphone.

At that point, I was clueless with regard to the discussion in this thread -- but now that I am, I would still choose the cellular version for the continuous GPS without the hassle of tethering. Would I also be willing to pay AT&T $10/month for actual cellular service?

Yes. I'm a believer that, in the words of the famous prepper Steven Harris, "one is none, two is one, three is two," etc. In other words, it's worth $10/month for cellular service on the iPad to know that, if ever my Smartphone fails for some reason -- such as it fell out of my pocket into the ocean, or on to a rock -- I will still have not only GPS-related services but also continued access to the internet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078