DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad mini 4

From the research i have done and read on here. The cellular enabled devices have an internal GPS antenna that works if you have the data plan or not. Where as the wifi only models do not have the gps antenna.

I currently use a mini4 that is a att cellular device. but i do not have a data plan currently on. But have had no problems with it so far.

Last edited:
What is the downfall of using an iPad mini without cellular?
Without cellular (the Wi-Fi only model) or a cellular model without the cellular plan activated?

As @Bcrone82 noted above, the cellular model contains a GPS receiver. GPS on the mobile device is required in order to use the Follow Me flight mode or reset the home point to your current location after taking off (if you move away from the original home point). If neither of those features are important, you won't benefit from having a mobile device that contains a GPS receiver.

If the cellular plan is activated, you'll also be able to use features that require an Internet connection (like downloading maps or unlocking a DJI GEO Zone). Without cellular service on the iPad, you could set up a hotspot on a mobile phone and connect the iPad to that Wi-Fi network to share the Internet connection.

Is an IPad mini 4 with just wifi ok?
If you don't need to use the features I mentioned above, then a Wi-Fi only iPad Mini would be the better choice for you (if budget is important).

I have the iPad Mini 5 (non-cellular) I can still cache maps and if need I can tether to my Samsung Note 8. I do tether when I am in unlock areas.

You can also always buy an external BT GPS device for a Wifi only iPad, to reset the home point to the tablet location, if that ever becomes necessary. They are around $100.

You can also always buy an external BT GPS device for a Wifi only iPad, to reset the home point to the tablet location, if that ever becomes necessary. They are around $100.

I just picked up an Apple refurbished iPad Mini 4 128GB Wi-Fi + 4G Cellular for $249 on Fleabay it was about $100 more than a refurb 16gb wifi only.
apple refurbish are eligible for extended warranties

Last edited:
I just picked up an Apple refurbished iPad Mini 4 128GB Wi-Fi + 4G Cellular for $249 on Fleabay it was about $100 more than a refurb 16gb wifi only.
apple refurbish are eligible for extended warranties
Sounds good. Lots of deals available on used older Apple equipment. Mini 4 is now 4 years old, replaced earlier this year by the Mini 5. As long as you have no performance issues with GO 4, and any future GO 4 updates, you'll be fine. Personally, for flying, I prefer the larger 9.7” iPadPro. It feels lighter to me because the tablet weight is distributed more widely over the center of gravity of the RC, than with the Mini 4, where it feels heavier with most of the weight in the center.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki