DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad mini 6 not working with DJI Fly

As I've mentioned, I've tried multiple cables in every orientation possible to try to get a connection. The ipad was brand new, so I didn't feel I'd have an issue with the USB-C port, and it looked clean inside it, but just in case I did try to blow it out with air. Even with USB-C I've had issues with pocket lint and such getting jammed in there and causing connection issues, and it's a good suggestion, but I don't believe that to be the case here.
I appreciate you have tried everything and yet there is no logical explanation why it isn’t working. I’ve had a few of those and it’s very aggravating 😡

I’ve tried early versions of minis for various reasons and they just seemed to be a compromise so I stopped. Have multiple IPads in my household but they are all full size. Great system.

I ordered a Tripltek 8 that should arrive soon. Time will tell but reports are good and the durability, use it in all kinds of weather (boating etc) sold me on giving it a go. Bought it via Amazon so if I really don’t like it - easy return.

It just irks me because I believe Apple makes a solid product that will see a longer usable life span than most android products, and the inclusion of USB-C was the deciding force to get me to try it. I was not going to mess with yet another connector when nothing I have uses lightning. Now I believe it's apples implementation of USB-C that is causing the problem after reading the thread you linked to.

When I get home I may try a USB-C to A adapter with an A to C cable and see if I have success. At this point it would be more out of curiosity, as that thread has shown me that even the same cable works for some and not others, and I'm not going to order more cables trying to find a winner. That issue would have to be solidly on Apple and how they chose to implement USB-C in their devices.

I'm actually a little shocked. I realized I don't have any USB c to a adapters, only A to C but just out of curiosity, knowing it wouldn't work, I downloaded the fly app to my 5 year old Galaxy tab S3 and.... it worked. I took the air 2 out for a short spin, not a lot because it's pretty windy out, but it worked. At least I got to get a preview of flying with a big screen.

Starting a new thread so that I don't take over an unrelated one

Hey guys. So I just purchased my first apple device, a mini 6 to use when flying my mavic air 2. The problem is, I can't get it to work.
When I plug the tablet into the RC, a message on the tablet will say this accessory is not supported with this device. I have tried multiple cables, in every combination of flipping the connectors around and nothing. I have the latest firmware according to DJI Assistant 2, my fly app is 1.5.4, the mini 6 is up to date. I've deleted and reinstalled the fly app multiple times, I performed a reset on the tablet, and nothing has worked.
The RC connects to the aircraft fine, and my android phone works fine with everything as it has been. I bought this Ipad because people have confirmed that the mini 6 is working with their Mavic air 2, and I've read in many places that IOS devices tend to have fewer problems and play nicer with DJI than android devices, but I'm seriously regretting it at the moment.
Can anyone think of anything else I can do? I'm completely new to apple and ios so maybe I'm just missing a setting somewhere (I hope).
Any help would be appreciated.
I have a new Mini 6 with C type and MA2 with standard contrôler. It work perfect. I even use a long TypeC cable which I was expecting to give delays. Is a IKEA 1 meter cable. It work in all combination. I tried however with the IPad original cable and it does not work at all. It seams the original cable is only good for charging. I add below the Ikea cable tag

Attachments

• 497946A1-2FE8-4A1A-BCFD-68F231452F9E.jpeg
    497946A1-2FE8-4A1A-BCFD-68F231452F9E.jpeg
    868.7 KB · Views: 8
I would be seriously impressed if my Android devices worked while plugged into the blank socket

There is the possibility the iPad was defective. Since others are using the Mini6 with the MA2, this points to the tablet's integrity. I presume it charged up OK using the Apple cable. But did you try moving data to and from the iPad using the USB C port? Such as storing data to a SSD via USB C, or reading an SD card with a USB C card reader? It's possible one of the data lines in the USB C connector is defective, but if you can move data back and forth using other devices, that eliminates that possibility.

Reactions: Aerophile
I would be seriously impressed if my Android devices worked while plugged into the blank socket
I feel for you. These types of issues can be incredibly frustrating. I think your best bet is to get a new iPad. Just seems like you have a bad unit. I'm an android guy myself, but none of the DJI software will even launch on my Galaxy S21. It's a known issue, and it's mind-boggling that DJI doesn't address it since there are significantly more Android devices in the world than iOS. As an aside, the reason Apple went to USB-C is because the EU mandated that all devices must use that type of connector. I agree.

none of the DJI software will even launch on my Galaxy S21
I have the S21 Ultra with Fly running on it. When you download the app from the DJI site, you have to go into the phone settings and allow installation of unknown apps, found in the Biometrics and security section. After you allow the phone to install NON PLAYSTORE apps, you can load the DJI app that you downloaded from the DJI website. You will get a couple of warnings about the software being insecure or risky during the install process, so you have to trust DJI that nothing is nefarious with the DJI Fly app and simply click to allow unknown apps, then approve the warnings to get the Fly app to install.

I have the S21 Ultra with Fly running on it. When you download the app from the DJI site, you have to go into the phone settings and allow installation of unknown apps, found in the Biometrics and security section. After you allow the phone to install NON PLAYSTORE apps, you can load the DJI app that you downloaded from the DJI website. You will get a couple of warnings about the software being insecure or risky during the install process, so you have to trust DJI that nothing is nefarious with the DJI Fly app and simply click to allow unknown apps, then approve the warnings to get the Fly app to install.
And if you have a corporate device that doesn't allow for installation of unknown apps... you're SOL.

Starting a new thread so that I don't take over an unrelated one

Hey guys. So I just purchased my first apple device, a mini 6 to use when flying my mavic air 2. The problem is, I can't get it to work.
When I plug the tablet into the RC, a message on the tablet will say this accessory is not supported with this device. I have tried multiple cables, in every combination of flipping the connectors around and nothing. I have the latest firmware according to DJI Assistant 2, my fly app is 1.5.4, the mini 6 is up to date. I've deleted and reinstalled the fly app multiple times, I performed a reset on the tablet, and nothing has worked.
The RC connects to the aircraft fine, and my android phone works fine with everything as it has been. I bought this Ipad because people have confirmed that the mini 6 is working with their Mavic air 2, and I've read in many places that IOS devices tend to have fewer problems and play nicer with DJI than android devices, but I'm seriously regretting it at the moment.
Can anyone think of anything else I can do? I'm completely new to apple and ios so maybe I'm just missing a setting somewhere (I hope).
Any help would be appreciated.
Strange…I have the MA2 and the iPad mini 6 with 256gb and have absolutely no problems.

Hi all, so my issue is iPad mini 6 and mavic air 2, plugged the cable in and all it does is the noise to say charging beeps as though the cable is not in right on a iPhone charging! Tried my iPhone connected straight away so tried another cable! Nothing. Mine a type c to type c! Even bought one for data transfer and still won’t connect!!

I got an iPad mini 6 yesterday. I wasn’t going to use it for my Mavic, but I’ll give it a go a report back.

So, just tested. Initially it wouldn’t connect, but I realised I was only using a power only USB C cable. I swapped it for a USC Data cable and it was fine.

We’ve had the same problem with different cables not connecting the iPad Mini 6 to the RC until we tried the short cable that came with the RC. It works as expected. We are going to try adding an extension USB 3 cord to find out which end, if any, is causing the problem. Thanks a million to the amazing Craig R for being brilliant.

We’ve had the same problem with different not connecting the iPad Mini 6 to the RC until we tried the short cable that came with the RC. It works as expected. We are going to try adding an extension USB 3 cord to find out which end, if any, is causing the problem.

I started a return on Amazon and boxed the ipad back up. I tried the cable that comes with the Mavic, the same cable I use without problem with my Note 20, I tried the cable that came with my StartRc tablet holder, I tried the Skyreat cable I had ordered and youtube showed to work with the Ipad mini, I tried the cable that came with the Ipad just to try, and I tried a couple of random USB C and thunderbolt 3 cables that I had lying around. If it's a cable issue, it's a doozy.

I've tried turning the drone on first, I've tried launching the fly app first. I tried it with the RC plugged in and charging. I've tried everything that they very limited amount of information I can find online said to try.

The funny thing is, the entire reason I can do a completely legit return to Amazon other than buyers remorse, is the option that they give for finding a lower price. But that lower price was also Amazon, the same exact listing that I ordered from. They lowered the price by $20 after I ordered, but before they shipped. Customer service would not credit me the difference, telling me I could return it (on their dime) and order again to get the $20 discount.
Same probl
As I've mentioned, I've tried multiple cables in every orientation possible to try to get a connection. The ipad was brand new, so I didn't feel I'd have an issue with the USB-C port, and it looked clean inside it, but just in case I did try to blow it out with air. Even with USB-C I've had issues with pocket lint and such getting jammed in there and causing connection issues, and it's a good suggestion, but I don't believe that to be the case here.
12.9 iPad Pro 3rd gen. Same problem but if I turn on remote and bird and have iPad plugged in and unlocked let the remote and bird connect, then plug a battery pack or charger to remote and bingo fly pops up, then I can unplug charger and good to go.

Hello everyone!

I've got a problem regarding the use of an ipad mini 6 with the dji air 2. When connecting the ipad to the controller, it charges for about 1 sec, then stops charging for about 6 seconds. This chargingcycle then constantly repeats itself. I'm not able to get a solid connection between the controller and ipad/dji fly app. I've tried multiple usb-c data cables, ipad has newest software (ipadOS 15.7), latest version of the dji fly app, and flashed the latest firmware to the drone. When connecting my mobile phone (android) i don't have any issues at all. Can anyone relate to this problem, and is there a possible fix?
Thanks in advance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato