DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad mini 6 not working with DJI Fly

Travis798

Reactions
Starting a new thread so that I don't take over an unrelated one

Hey guys. So I just purchased my first apple device, a mini 6 to use when flying my mavic air 2. The problem is, I can't get it to work.
When I plug the tablet into the RC, a message on the tablet will say this accessory is not supported with this device. I have tried multiple cables, in every combination of flipping the connectors around and nothing. I have the latest firmware according to DJI Assistant 2, my fly app is 1.5.4, the mini 6 is up to date. I've deleted and reinstalled the fly app multiple times, I performed a reset on the tablet, and nothing has worked.
The RC connects to the aircraft fine, and my android phone works fine with everything as it has been. I bought this Ipad because people have confirmed that the mini 6 is working with their Mavic air 2, and I've read in many places that IOS devices tend to have fewer problems and play nicer with DJI than android devices, but I'm seriously regretting it at the moment.
Can anyone think of anything else I can do? I'm completely new to apple and ios so maybe I'm just missing a setting somewhere (I hope).
Any help would be appreciated.

Wish I could help. I’m an iOS fan, but not Fly app.
Hope you get it fixed.

Wish I could help. I’m an iOS fan, but not Fly app.
Hope you get it fixed.
I appreciate it. So far I'm not much of a fan. The gesture controls seem to be lacking compared to modern android versions, the ability to go back with a swipe from the side of the screen is greatly missed already. The screen seems less responsive, with me having to stab at certain things multiple times to click them. Maybe I'll get used to it and it'll grow on me, but if I can't get this working I don't think I'll be keeping the tablet.

Not sure this will help, but make sure the tablet is unlocked before you plug it in - and the fly app is up and running. there is a setting to disable plugged in accessories - go to settings -> Touch ID and Passcode. At the bottom is "USB Accessories". make sure that is selected.

Not sure this will help, but make sure the tablet is unlocked before you plug it in - and the fly app is up and running. there is a setting to disable plugged in accessories - go to settings -> Touch ID and Passcode. At the bottom is "USB Accessories". make sure that is selected.
You had me hopeful. USB accessories was not selected when I went into settings, but selecting it didn't change anything. I even did a reboot after to be certain. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Seems to be something going on with the 15.2 and the Go4. I wonder if this is related in some way.

My understanding is that the Air 2 doesn't use Go4, so I haven't tried it. I've been trying the Fly app and just in case it was an issue with it, I bit the bullet and purchased Litchi as well, and still have no connection. My android phone works beautifully, the Ipad connects to the computer just fine, the Drone and RC both connect to assistant fine, after I finally found the app version that supports both, the Ipad and controller just won't work together.

I have been using Mini 6 (just upgraded from Mini 4) with my Mavic 3. Both Go 4 (for Mavic Platinum) and Fly(For M3) works fine. So the issue is not with your iPad - Try resetting the iPad.
I reset the ipad 3 times. It adamantly refuses to connect with the controller. My Note 20 connects fine, with the fly app automatically launching when I turn on the controller as it should, and camera view appearing as soon as the controller and drone link together. At this point the only thing I can think of that I haven't done is to return the ipad and purchase the tripltek, which isn't my preference but the ipad is no good to me if I can't use it for my Air 2

Interesting... I got a iPad Mini 6 less than 2 weeks ago but have had a different issue than yours. The error message that I've been getting is that no device is connected to the controller. Like you tried many cables, plugging at the top, bottom reversing UBC-c orientation, etc. I called DJI and they were trying to help and spontaneously it suddenly connected. I'm not sure what I did.

Yesterday I got another failure to connect, did all the cable variations, turned controller off and on and nothing. What seemed to have made it work was turning on the drone (Mini 2) first. The it all connected and worked as it should. I'll play around with it today and see if that routine continues to work reliably. I'm also going to play a bit with my Mavic 2 pro and the iPm6, but don't recall any issues yet with Go4.

I started a return on Amazon and boxed the ipad back up. I tried the cable that comes with the Mavic, the same cable I use without problem with my Note 20, I tried the cable that came with my StartRc tablet holder, I tried the Skyreat cable I had ordered and youtube showed to work with the Ipad mini, I tried the cable that came with the Ipad just to try, and I tried a couple of random USB C and thunderbolt 3 cables that I had lying around. If it's a cable issue, it's a doozy.

I've tried turning the drone on first, I've tried launching the fly app first. I tried it with the RC plugged in and charging. I've tried everything that they very limited amount of information I can find online said to try.

The funny thing is, the entire reason I can do a completely legit return to Amazon other than buyers remorse, is the option that they give for finding a lower price. But that lower price was also Amazon, the same exact listing that I ordered from. They lowered the price by $20 after I ordered, but before they shipped. Customer service would not credit me the difference, telling me I could return it (on their dime) and order again to get the $20 discount.

I started a return on Amazon and boxed the ipad back up. I tried the cable that comes with the Mavic, the same cable I use without problem with my Note 20, I tried the cable that came with my StartRc tablet holder, I tried the Skyreat cable I had ordered and youtube showed to work with the Ipad mini, I tried the cable that came with the Ipad just to try, and I tried a couple of random USB C and thunderbolt 3 cables that I had lying around. If it's a cable issue, it's a doozy.

I've tried turning the drone on first, I've tried launching the fly app first. I tried it with the RC plugged in and charging. I've tried everything that they very limited amount of information I can find online said to try.

The funny thing is, the entire reason I can do a completely legit return to Amazon other than buyers remorse, is the option that they give for finding a lower price. But that lower price was also Amazon, the same exact listing that I ordered from. They lowered the price by $20 after I ordered, but before they shipped. Customer service would not credit me the difference, telling me I could return it (on their dime) and order again to get the $20 discount.
well good to know, ive been looking for a mini 6 to use with my mavic 3. I guess ill wait a little.

Sorry you had no luck. Did you try calling DJI? They might have been able to trouble shoot if for you. Maybe there is a glitch in the firmware? At "this device is not supported" message is quite odd sounding. But it could be a glitch in the iPad. There are refurbished Apple products out there for a reason. You also might have made a trip to your Apple store for help. I don't think I would have given up so quickly with avenues of help at hand.

I got my iPad Mini 6 from B&H Photo. They have there own, "Payboo" credit card, currently through Synchony Bank but soon to change. Using that credit card they credit the tax. Where I live it's 10.25% which saved me $66. I bought my Mini 2 from them, again about $60 saved. They are also very responsive in customer service. Not as quick or convenient sometimes as Amazon, but I get dinged for tax via Amazon.

Correct. The air2 doesn’t use the Go4. I just thought there may be a connection between your issue and others having an issue with the Go4.

well good to know, ive been looking for a mini 6 to use with my mavic 3. I guess ill wait a little.

In all fairness, others have reported no issues with using the Mini 6. This issue may be isolated. I did purchase the cellular version. I'm not sure that would make a difference but most of the success stories I've read are dealing with the wifi version.
Sorry you had no luck. Did you try calling DJI? They might have been able to trouble shoot if for you. Maybe there is a glitch in the firmware? At "this device is not supported" message is quite odd sounding. But it could be a glitch in the iPad. There are refurbished Apple products out there for a reason. You also might have made a trip to your Apple store for help. I don't think I would have given up so quickly with avenues of help at hand.

I got my iPad Mini 6 from B&H Photo. They have there own, "Payboo" credit card, currently through Synchony Bank but soon to change. Using that credit card they credit the tax. Where I live it's 10.25% which saved me $66. I bought my Mini 2 from them, again about $60 saved. They are also very responsive in customer service. Not as quick or convenient sometimes as Amazon, but I get dinged for tax via Amazon.
I posted this exact post on the DJI forums but I did not try calling them. Considering the RC and Mavic both connect to the computer and my android phone without issue, I'm not sure they would be much help. While most of my google searches found the error "this accessory may not be supported" instead of "this accessory is not supported", it seems to be a rather common issue, typically resolved with a different cable.

My ipad was not refurbished, and I do not believe there is an apple store within a 75 mile drive from me. It's just not worth a 150+ mile round trip to visit a store on the chance that they might be able to help.

I wasn't really impressed with the iPad anyway. From a longevity standpoint I feel like I'd be happier using it, but after using the newer versions of android IOS just feels dated. The Tripltek uses an older version of Android, but it does have Android 10 which supports the gesture controls I'm used to is the version that I feel started to make Android shine and give it that polished feel.

While I would still be willing to break the ipad back out and try some more things to get it working, so far it seems I've tried about everything, as my posts on DJI and reddit have gone unanswered. There was some attempt here to help me resolve the issue, which I greatly appreciate, but I seem to be out of steps to troubleshoot.

A very similar thread here:

I know you have already done about everything but there might be some merit in how the cable inserts into the controller and/or IPad.

Over the years I’ve had some weird issues that were resolved by “cleaning” the lightning port on the IPhone, IPad. I appreciate that these are USB C but if the “pins” don’t make full contact you can have trouble.

Just throwing that out there as a possible.

A very similar thread here:

I know you have already done about everything but there might be some merit in how the cable inserts into the controller and/or IPad.

Over the years I’ve had some weird issues that were resolved by “cleaning” the lightning port on the IPhone, IPad. I appreciate that these are USB C but if the “pins” don’t make full contact you can have trouble.

Just throwing that out there as a possible.
As I've mentioned, I've tried multiple cables in every orientation possible to try to get a connection. The ipad was brand new, so I didn't feel I'd have an issue with the USB-C port, and it looked clean inside it, but just in case I did try to blow it out with air. Even with USB-C I've had issues with pocket lint and such getting jammed in there and causing connection issues, and it's a good suggestion, but I don't believe that to be the case here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78