Get more from your Mavic
The largest Mavic community in the world
Join Us Now

iPad Pro will not connect to Mavic 3 Controller Via USB C

blackie36

Reactions
Has anyone tried connecting the standard Mavic 3 controller to a USB C iPad Pro? That has always been my go-to setup with my Mavic 2 Pro, but it turns out that this combination is currently a no-go with the Mavic 3 controller.

Have tried multiple cables, and multiple iPad pros via USB C, with the same result every time.

The iPad Pro will not see the remote / aircraft in DJI Fly. Switching to iPhone via Lightning cable, it works every time. Reading through the Mavic 3 Facebook groups, it seems that I am not alone with this issue, but I haven't seen mention of it in these forums?

Anyone else had this issue or found a workaround? I understand that USB C connections to Android Tablets work, and this only impacts iPad's with USB C connectivity.

MavicAir2Marc

Premium Pilot
Reactions
old is your iPad Pro? The DJI Fly app is a much bigger CPU hog than the Go app and requires a 64bit architecture (which shouldn't be a problem on an iPad). It does tax the system of older Apple devices.

brett8883

Solutions
Reactions
Has anyone tried connecting the standard Mavic 3 controller to a USB C iPad Pro? That has always been my go-to setup with my Mavic 2 Pro, but it turns out that this combination is currently a no-go with the Mavic 3 controller.

Have tried multiple cables, and multiple iPad pros via USB C, with the same result every time.

The iPad Pro will not see the remote / aircraft in DJI Fly. Switching to iPhone via Lightning cable, it works every time. Reading through the Mavic 3 Facebook groups, it seems that I am not alone with this issue, but I haven't seen mention of it in these forums?

Anyone else had this issue or found a workaround? I understand that USB C connections to Android Tablets work, and this only impacts iPad's with USB C connectivity.
I still suspect a cable issue. There’s a wide misunderstanding with USB-C cables because you can’t tell different USB-C cables apart but there is multiple USB protocols that use the USB-C connector and 99% of cables you find on Amazon or come as charging cables with devices are not the cable you need.

What you need is a USB-C to USB-C USB 3.1 gen 2. Another issue is the wide confusion in cable had created an environment where it’s all too easy for manufacturers to say their cables are USB 3.1 gen 2 when they are in fact not. So you have to get them from reliable sources.

Here’s a cable I just bought from my local Micro Center that I have confirmed is what it says it is 1FBE1B9B-49FB-406D-87F7-9704D096184D.jpeg
It cost $30 for the most basic generic 3ft cable you can imagine. If you buying cables that cost less than this then they are almost assuredly not the right kind of cable.

The cable that comes with the iPad for example is not the right kind of cable. These kinds of cables will really only come with high speed accessories like an fast external SSD.

blackie36

Reactions
old is your iPad Pro? The DJI Fly app is a much bigger CPU hog than the Go app and requires a 64bit architecture (which shouldn't be a problem on an iPad). It does tax the system of older Apple devices.
Its a 2018 iPad Pro with A12X bionic (64bit processor)

still suspect a cable issue. There’s a wide misunderstanding with USB-C cables because you can’t tell different USB-C cables apart but there is multiple USB protocols that use the USB-C connector and 99% of cables you find on Amazon or come as charging cables with devices are not the cable you need.

What you need is a USB-C to USB-C USB 3.1 gen 2. Another issue is the wide confusion in cable had created an environment where it’s all too easy for manufacturers to say their cables are USB 3.1 gen 2 when they are in fact not. So you have to get them from reliable sources.
Thanks - I have tried multiple cables including the $150 cable which I use to connect my Mac Pro to my XDR display (which is Thunderbolt 4 but fully compliant with the USB 3.1 Gen 2 standard. Also tried the cable provided by DJI themselves in the box, and that doesn't work either.

I use my iPad Pro and it works fine without any issues
Which model of iPad Pro are you using? Do you use a USB C to USB C cable? I note from the DJI Fly release notes that it should also be compatible with M1 Macs, so I've also tried it on my brand new M1 MacBook Pro - same issue with all of the cables I've tried - again including the one DJI themselves provided.

Kilrah

Solutions
Reactions
Maybe try using a C to A adapter on remote side and A to C cable to the iPad... Even USB2 should be enough, the remote's port isn't USB3 anyway,