DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Pro will not connect to Mavic 3 Controller Via USB C

blackie36

Reactions
Has anyone tried connecting the standard Mavic 3 controller to a USB C iPad Pro? That has always been my go-to setup with my Mavic 2 Pro, but it turns out that this combination is currently a no-go with the Mavic 3 controller.

Have tried multiple cables, and multiple iPad pros via USB C, with the same result every time.

The iPad Pro will not see the remote / aircraft in DJI Fly. Switching to iPhone via Lightning cable, it works every time. Reading through the Mavic 3 Facebook groups, it seems that I am not alone with this issue, but I haven't seen mention of it in these forums?

Anyone else had this issue or found a workaround? I understand that USB C connections to Android Tablets work, and this only impacts iPad's with USB C connectivity.

Reactions: God Is Love
old is your iPad Pro? The DJI Fly app is a much bigger CPU hog than the Go app and requires a 64bit architecture (which shouldn't be a problem on an iPad). It does tax the system of older Apple devices.

Has anyone tried connecting the standard Mavic 3 controller to a USB C iPad Pro? That has always been my go-to setup with my Mavic 2 Pro, but it turns out that this combination is currently a no-go with the Mavic 3 controller.

Have tried multiple cables, and multiple iPad pros via USB C, with the same result every time.

The iPad Pro will not see the remote / aircraft in DJI Fly. Switching to iPhone via Lightning cable, it works every time. Reading through the Mavic 3 Facebook groups, it seems that I am not alone with this issue, but I haven't seen mention of it in these forums?

Anyone else had this issue or found a workaround? I understand that USB C connections to Android Tablets work, and this only impacts iPad's with USB C connectivity.
I still suspect a cable issue. There’s a wide misunderstanding with USB-C cables because you can’t tell different USB-C cables apart but there is multiple USB protocols that use the USB-C connector and 99% of cables you find on Amazon or come as charging cables with devices are not the cable you need.

What you need is a USB-C to USB-C USB 3.1 gen 2. Another issue is the wide confusion in cable had created an environment where it’s all too easy for manufacturers to say their cables are USB 3.1 gen 2 when they are in fact not. So you have to get them from reliable sources.

Here’s a cable I just bought from my local Micro Center that I have confirmed is what it says it is 1FBE1B9B-49FB-406D-87F7-9704D096184D.jpeg
It cost $30 for the most basic generic 3ft cable you can imagine. If you buying cables that cost less than this then they are almost assuredly not the right kind of cable.

The cable that comes with the iPad for example is not the right kind of cable. These kinds of cables will really only come with high speed accessories like an fast external SSD.

old is your iPad Pro? The DJI Fly app is a much bigger CPU hog than the Go app and requires a 64bit architecture (which shouldn't be a problem on an iPad). It does tax the system of older Apple devices.
Its a 2018 iPad Pro with A12X bionic (64bit processor)

still suspect a cable issue. There’s a wide misunderstanding with USB-C cables because you can’t tell different USB-C cables apart but there is multiple USB protocols that use the USB-C connector and 99% of cables you find on Amazon or come as charging cables with devices are not the cable you need.

What you need is a USB-C to USB-C USB 3.1 gen 2. Another issue is the wide confusion in cable had created an environment where it’s all too easy for manufacturers to say their cables are USB 3.1 gen 2 when they are in fact not. So you have to get them from reliable sources.
Thanks - I have tried multiple cables including the $150 cable which I use to connect my Mac Pro to my XDR display (which is Thunderbolt 4 but fully compliant with the USB 3.1 Gen 2 standard. Also tried the cable provided by DJI themselves in the box, and that doesn't work either.

I use my iPad Pro and it works fine without any issues
Which model of iPad Pro are you using? Do you use a USB C to USB C cable? I note from the DJI Fly release notes that it should also be compatible with M1 Macs, so I've also tried it on my brand new M1 MacBook Pro - same issue with all of the cables I've tried - again including the one DJI themselves provided.

Maybe try using a C to A adapter on remote side and A to C cable to the iPad... Even USB2 should be enough, the remote's port isn't USB3 anyway,

Maybe try using a C to A adapter on remote side and A to C cable to the iPad... Even USB2 should be enough, the remote's port isn't USB3 anyway,
Tried that too - no dice. Seriously considering returning the drone tomorrow.

Tried that too - no dice. Seriously considering returning the drone tomorrow.
I believe your issue is more Fly App than M3. Connection is RC to Tablet. As you indicated, the 2018 iPad Pro 11” is my main display… didn’t notice the oddity until playing with Air2S since I use Mini2 with iPad Mini.

Several, including myself have experienced same behavior with 2018 iPad Pro 11” not being compatible oddly with the FLY App (Multiple posts/threads on subject). I personally don’t recall a problem previously… that may have been an earlier iOS or FLY App version. This same ipad works flawless with Go4, Go3 and all 3rd Party DJI App… just the Fly App is problematic.

It’s definitely NOT lack of CPU / GPU, the A12X & Z (2020) outperform all other iPads easily.

I’ve also tried multiple cables, 3.1v1, v2 (same as 3.2v2)… basically 10GB rated cables without success. Tried the default short DJI cables just as test… all same results.

Oddly it works nicely with iPads using Lightening connector: iPad Pro 10.9” and iPad Mini 5th Gen.
I haven’t tested & verified the 2021 iPad Pro 12.9”… little out of size. Others have expressed no problems with 2018-2020 iPad Pro… not sure of iOS & Fly App versions… but it’s an oddity.

Furthermore, With any grade USB-C cable, all my Androids work without issues. Samsung S7+, S5, Fold3, and Tripltek 8”.

I’ve resorted to the iPad Mini and Tripltek 8” for Fly App.
Was considering upgrading the Mini to new 6th Gen, but it uses USB-C too. By the way, the Tripltek is similar to the older Crystal Sky in weight & brightness… easily viewed in sunlight.

I have got the iPad Pro M1 working with the RC-1N, you do need to use an OTG cable or adapter, in order to get it to work, you also have to use the 'top' port on the controller.

I tested using the one from the DJI FPV drone & a standard Cygnett USB-A to USB-C, but I suspect any OTG adapter should work.

The USB-C to lightning cable from Apple works to an iPhone or iPads that still have the lightning port. None of the USB-C to USB-C cables I have tried work, put an OTG adapter in and any USB-A to USB-C cable seems to work.

The USB-C connector is exactly that just a reversible connector. Its implementation is up to the manufacturer, USB 3, USB 3.1, Thunderbolt and others are all different, there is no 'standard' as such, beyond how it connects other than its a USB-C connector!

Its all most as messed up as the 'RS232 Standard' that's how old I am.

Reactions: BBartol
I have got the iPad Pro M1 working with the RC-1N, you do need to use an OTG cable or adapter, in order to get it to work, you also have to use the 'top' port on the controller.

I tested using the one from the DJI FPV drone & a standard Cygnett USB-A to USB-C, but I suspect any OTG adapter should work.

The USB-C to lightning cable from Apple works to an iPhone or iPads that still have the lightning port. None of the USB-C to USB-C cables I have tried work, put an OTG adapter in and any USB-A to USB-C cable seems to work.

The USB-C connector is exactly that just a reversible connector. Its implementation is up to the manufacturer, USB 3, USB 3.1, Thunderbolt and others are all different, there is no 'standard' as such, beyond how it connects other than its a USB-C connector!

Its all most as messed up as the 'RS232 Standard' that's how old I am.
Good Info, and I'd agree with the old RS232 standards... still has issues in large AV technologies & programming.

As previously mentioned, this continues to be an iPad Pro USB-C oddity.
Your results are different than my results... which is an oddity.

I got my iPad Pro 12.9 M1 2021 out and tested... I can easily connect with multiple USB-C to USB-C cables without issues. Same results as with the Android devices, USB-C to USB-C works nicely. All these tests had the FLY App auto open, connect to Aircraft and present camera view. I could start with everything pre-connected or add the tablet after Craft & RC powered and connected... both worked on 2021 M1 iPad Pro with no issues without adapters.

Using the DJI FPV USB-A to USB-C adapter produced different results. If adapter was connected to the RC Port, it had functionality similar to the USB-C to USB-C cable. If adapter end was connected to iPad Port it didn't work correctly (1-way transfer).

Transferring this to the 2018 iPad Pro 11" had no change in behavior; continued to be a no-connect.
NOTE: I did oddly have initial USB-C to USB-C cable connection work with 2018 iPad Pro. I disconnected, powered off RC & back on and could not duplicate successful connection. That was after multiple successful connection & disconnects with the 2021 M1 iPad Pro 12.9".... that pre-established connection within RC may have allowed a connection with 2018 unit.
Regardless of cable or adapter, the 2018 iPadPro wasn't successful. Returning back to 2021 M1, was successful each time with 4 different USB-C to USB-C cables.

Correct, there are multiple USB-C cables & adapters that all use the USB-C Interface: range from Power Only, Low Speed, High Speed, 1-way or Bi-Directional from USB3.0 to USB4, and Thunderbolt 3 to 4 specifications (TB 3/4 cables can be expensive for their specifications above USB3/4). The use of the USB-C interface can cause much confusion, giving perception all USB-C are the same when they vary widely. A USB-C cable for low speed transfer can be bi-directional, some for higher specifications are 1-way directional or can be simply a 1-way Cable. Higher specification cables can contain different specs for transfer speed. A 3.1v2 USB-C - USB-C or USB-C to USB-A can be 10GB Bi-Directional. The short DJI Default RC cable in kit is 1-way directional... note on 1 end there is RC controller stamped.

USB-C adapters vary... the common are standard USB2/3 low speed. The higher 3.1v1/3.1v2 10GB Adapters are longer containing "circuitry", when used with a USB-C 10GB cable they'll provide full 10GB specifications port to port. Adapters that are true 3.1v2 (USB3.2v2 same) will be marked 10GB or 20GB.

The oddity is limited to Apple USB-C specifications, I don't know if this is limited with different versions of iOS or if the different versions of FLY have a slightly different protocol to initiate connection that is conflicting with Apple protocols but not Android.

I have the same problem, I can not connect to u
ipad 2018 and 2021. when i use type c with type a by placing adapters in type c it connects normally. have you found a solution ???

I haven't found the USB-A adaptor or any specific USB-C cable (as long as it's a 2-Way USB-C cable) to be causing the problem. I've got dozens of various cables and they all work except for cables that don't support 2-way data: These can include Charging Cables, or specific 1-way cables... the short DJI cable is an example of a 1-way cable with the RC symbol stamped into to terminal plug's plastic.

My 2021 12.9" iPad Pro connects with the FLY app & M2A / M2AS with no issues. Also all the iPad Pros using the Lightening port work flawlessly, My iPad Pro 10.9 and iPad mini present stable connectivity. It's an oddity mainly with the 2018 11" iPad Pro. The 12.9" 2018 connects with no issues, using any cable in my tests.

I think it's more with the communication circuitry of the 2018 11" iPad Pro & the FLY
App's communication programing and sync programming. Which is the main cause, don't know... it's not 100%. Some with 2018 11" iPad Pro have indicated connectivity, the majority on multiple forums indicate the 2018 11" is a problem... and newer & older models work.

The Go4App presents no problem, connects with iPad Pro easily, which indicates it may be part of the FLY App's communication programming.

It's not the RC to Craft as the problem... Link Lights are correct and I can start motors with no tablet without issues.

I haven't found the USB-A adaptor or any specific USB-C cable (as long as it's a 2-Way USB-C cable) to be causing the problem. I've got dozens of various cables and they all work except for cables that don't support 2-way data: These can include Charging Cables, or specific 1-way cables... the short DJI cable is an example of a 1-way cable with the RC symbol stamped into to terminal plug's plastic.

My 2021 12.9" iPad Pro connects with the FLY app & M2A / M2AS with no issues. Also all the iPad Pros using the Lightening port work flawlessly, My iPad Pro 10.9 and iPad mini present stable connectivity. It's an oddity mainly with the 2018 11" iPad Pro. The 12.9" 2018 connects with no issues, using any cable in my tests.

I think it's more with the communication circuitry of the 2018 11" iPad Pro & the FLY
App's communication programing and sync programming. Which is the main cause, don't know... it's not 100%. Some with 2018 11" iPad Pro have indicated connectivity, the majority on multiple forums indicate the 2018 11" is a problem... and newer & older models work.

The Go4App presents no problem, connects with iPad Pro easily, which indicates it may be part of the FLY App's communication programming.

It's not the RC to Craft as the problem... Link Lights are correct and I can start motors with no tablet without issues.
And the iPad 11 2021, with adapter is connect

Attachments

• A9710237-D724-40EB-BCC3-9D26BFB62CBB.jpeg
    A9710237-D724-40EB-BCC3-9D26BFB62CBB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • 16DB8F36-92C4-4CC3-89E2-67B96188F891.jpeg
    16DB8F36-92C4-4CC3-89E2-67B96188F891.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
I have yet to find any USB-C to USB-C cable that works with the iPad Pro and the standard controller, tried several including the USB 3.2 v2.0 ones and it won't work..

If you put in a USB-C to USB-A adapter in to the controller then a USB-A to USB-C cable to the iPad Pro, it works.

I have tried several USB-C to USB-A adapters, from Apple, HP & DJI's own from the FPV and they all work with the iPad Pro.

when i connected an fpv also worked normally without any problems. Yes when I connect it to a usb adapter it works normally.

when i connected an fpv also worked normally without any problems. Yes when I connect it to a usb adapter it works normally.
You're using the adapter... I'm not on 2021... Works fine just using USB 3.1 cables.

I have found that some cables terminals have a plastic casing that prevents the USB-C terminal to fully seat deep enough into RC's Port. Adapters may help that connection too... just a guess.

As an experiment, By slightly trimming plastic casing... making terminal a little longer corrected these cables.

I have the same issue. Just got mavic pro 3 and I am trying to use my iPad Pro 3rd gen that came out in 2018. My phone connects fine but I have tried using multiple usbc cables including the ones that came with the mavic pro as well as one I ordered off of Amazon with no success. :/

Reactions: God Is Love
Wanted to just add my experience, which has been working well so far, no connection issues or errors.

I have a 2021 11-inch iPad Pro, M1 chip, 128 GB storage, 8 GB RAM, and operating on iPad OS 15.2.

Currently using the RC-N1 that came with the Mavic 3 Fly More combo and have the latest available firmware for the controller, aircraft, and latest version of the app.

Finally, the cable I’m using is a Best Buy Insignia brand, 10 Gbps found here: Insignia 3.3 Foot USB C Cable

Wanted to just add my experience, which has been working well so far, no connection issues or errors.

I have a 2021 11-inch iPad Pro, M1 chip, 128 GB storage, 8 GB RAM, and operating on iPad OS 15.2.

Currently using the RC-N1 that came with the Mavic 3 Fly More combo and have the latest available firmware for the controller, aircraft, and latest version of the app.

Finally, the cable I’m using is a Best Buy Insignia brand, 10 Gbps found here: Insignia 3.3 Foot USB C Cable
Thank you for posting the one you are using. Are you not having issues with the cable going into the control? If it isnt a right angle connector I cannot put my ipad adapter in the remote.

Edit: I think a good idea would be to have people that have properly working cables with their ipad and mavic 3 post links to the cables they have and maybe we can get a list going?

Last edited:
Thank you for posting the one you are using. Are you not having issues with the cable going into the control? If it isnt a right angle connector I cannot put my ipad adapter in the remote.

Edit: I think a good idea would be to have people that have properly working cables with their ipad and mavic 3 post links to the cables they have and maybe we can get a list going?

So far, no issues. I took a couple pictures to show how it fits behind the antenna. I have placed my phone in the holder as well as a tablet mount.
Here’s the tablet holder I’ve been using: Tablet Holder on Amazon

73412A41-8DE0-4827-AF83-A6C5176396B5.jpeg
43D8187D-4DD9-4DD9-8DCF-E95BE4216B51.jpeg55B0B104-395A-4FB0-8F9B-3CE0A9003FD2.jpeg

Reactions: Point Zero
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803