DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Pro will not connect to Mavic 3 Controller Via USB C

Reactions: BBartol
Thanks I'll check it out!

Glad it may help some… although that’s not even a USB3 cable… just listed as a USB-C… which unless specified USB3 or USB3.1 it’s a standard USB with USB C terminals... although it is assumed 2-way data terminals by it’s description.

Personally, I feel it’s more Fly App issue conflicting with some 2018 iPad Pro 11’s than cable.

Good Luck!

I have some standard, if there is such a thing, USB-C to USB-C cables and have discovered, as someone else mentioned, that if it doesn't work, rotating the end that plugs into the RC-1N 180 degrees it works. I have at least two cables that do this.

Using any high performance 2x2 USB 3.1 V2 leads results in failure!

Disappointing news. I ordered this exact one from your link and got it yesterday. It does not work with my iPad Pro. I am not sure why we are all having different experiences with these usbc cables but it is pretty **** disappointing as I have tried 4 different brands now and have switched the cables back and forth between controller and iPad. 0% success

Glad it may help some… although that’s not even a USB3 cable… just listed as a USB-C… which unless specified USB3 or USB3.1 it’s a standard USB with USB C terminals... although it is assumed 2-way data terminals by it’s description.

Personally, I feel it’s more Fly App issue conflicting with some 2018 iPad Pro 11’s than cable.

Good Luck!
That is what I am assuming as this point that it is that app.

I have some standard, if there is such a thing, USB-C to USB-C cables and have discovered, as someone else mentioned, that if it doesn't work, rotating the end that plugs into the RC-1N 180 degrees it works. I have at least two cables that do this.

Using any high performance 2x2 USB 3.1 V2 leads results in failure!
I also found out on other gadgets with usb-c cables, there’s a „right“ and wrong way to plug it in - even if it looks and seems the same.

Disappointing news. I ordered this exact one from your link and got it yesterday. It does not work with my iPad Pro. I am not sure why we are all having different experiences with these usbc cables but it is pretty **** disappointing as I have tried 4 different brands now and have switched the cables back and forth between controller and iPad. 0% success
Turn one of the ends 180degrees, it that doesn’t work turn the other end 180 degrees.

I have found that in typical USB-C fashion there is no standard!!

If all else fails get a USB-C to USB-A adapter and use a USB-A to USB-C cable to connect to the iPad.

Turn one of the ends 180degrees, it that doesn’t work turn the other end 180 degrees.

I have found that in typical USB-C fashion there is no standard!!

If all else fails get a USB-C to USB-A adapter and use a USB-A to USB-C cable to connect to the iPad.
What you mean by turning it 180 degrees? I have switched the cables around between controller and iPad and none of them have worked

I also found out on other gadgets with usb-c cables, there’s a „right“ and wrong way to plug it in - even if it looks and seems the same.
True, if it’s not a full 2-way data cable. Some will be 1-way Data transmission, others will have extended terminal tips to properly connect in deeper ports.

The one that comes with RC (short whip cable)… you’ll notice it has a “RC” stamped on 1 end… and several RC spec‘ed cables from Amazon will also have a stamped end indicating RC port.

If you have a reliable 2-way cable, or clearly see a RC stamped on a 1-way cable… and it doesn’t work, it’s highly likely not the cable… other factor: port(s), circuitry within electronic, or program (App). If RC works with ANY other device… it proves the Port is functional, leaving circuitry protocols & App protocols as Unknowns.

If the setup works normally with Go4App & M2P or any craft on Go4App… it verifies protocols are communicating between RC & Tablet‘s App… And…USB-C cable. Pretty much rules out RC communication protocols. Leaving the App‘s communication protocol interface with Tablets communication protocols as most likely source to problem.

Not sure on Other‘s comments on models other than the 2018 11” iPad Pro. I personally haven’t had any issues with other Older/Newer/Larger/Smaller iPad Pro models... Lightening or USB-C.

Known: RC works to control Craft without tablet - can start, stop, hover. 11” Tablet runs correctly with other Flight control Apps: Go4App, Litchi, MapsMadeEasy, etc. These indirectly verify cables & ports. Fly App with USB-C cables works correctly on other devices: iPad, Android tablet, etc.

I’m assuming there is an oddity in 11” iPad Pro or in the Fly App’s coding that conflicts with 11”… and possibly not consistent across ALL 11” 2018’s.

Last edited:
What you mean by turning it 180 degrees? I have switched the cables around between controller and iPad and none of them have worked
Some cables are not connected in same pins going from 1 end to other… effecting which way it’s plugged in. That’s not as common with recent cables.

Take the connector out of the USB-C out of the remote, turn it round and plug it back in, USB-C connectors are reversible so can be inserted either way round, one way works & one way doesn’t in my experience when trying to get USB-C working with an iPad Pro.

Has anyone tried connecting the standard Mavic 3 controller to a USB C iPad Pro? That has always been my go-to setup with my Mavic 2 Pro, but it turns out that this combination is currently a no-go with the Mavic 3 controller.

Have tried multiple cables, and multiple iPad pros via USB C, with the same result every time.

The iPad Pro will not see the remote / aircraft in DJI Fly. Switching to iPhone via Lightning cable, it works every time. Reading through the Mavic 3 Facebook groups, it seems that I am not alone with this issue, but I haven't seen mention of it in these forums?

Anyone else had this issue or found a workaround? I understand that USB C connections to Android Tablets work, and this only impacts iPad's with USB C connectivity.
I had the same issues with my Mavic 2 Pro. Some cables don't transmit all the data! It took me buying 4 cables and voila.

Take the connector out of the USB-C out of the remote, turn it round and plug it back in, USB-C connectors are reversible so can be inserted either way round, one way works & one way doesn’t in my experience when trying to get USB-C working with an iPad Pro.
Did that in my above comments. Every cable. None worked.

I had the same issues with my Mavic 2 Pro. Some cables don't transmit all the data! It took me buying 4 cables and voila.
Interesting… M2P uses Go4App. I’ve not had any connectivity issues with 11“ iPad Pro with anything other than the Fly app.

Glad to hear the cables corrected that for you.

I had this same issue with an Ipad mini 6. I tried at least 6 different cables including the one that came with my Mavic air 2 and a couple of thunderbolt 3 cables. The cables I tried work fine with my Note 20. I eventually gave up and boxed the mini back up for return and ordered a tripltek 8 pro. I did find much to my surprise that my very old Samsung tab S3 works great as well.

I had this same issue with an Ipad mini 6. I tried at least 6 different cables including the one that came with my Mavic air 2 and a couple of thunderbolt 3 cables. The cables I tried work fine with my Note 20. I eventually gave up and boxed the mini back up for return and ordered a tripltek 8 pro. I did find much to my surprise that my very old Samsung tab S3 works great as well.
Interesting to hear... I was a few clicks away from pulling trigger for new Mini6 to replace Mini5 and get rid of Lightening Socket.

I have no issues on 2018 12.9 iPad Pro, 2021 12.9 iPad Pro, only 2018 11" iPad pro. I'm sure my Buddy & I tested a 2021 11" without issues too. No issues on multiple Android devices... just 2018 11" iPad.

I may still get a Mini6 to examine 🤠
Sweet looking tablet, just wished they offered 1TB storage.

The Tripltek 8 Pro is great, don't use it much yet... but great unit. I also got their mount (similar to MavMount) and it works on all DJI Mavic RC's. Actually like their mount for all tablets better than other in my kit. Tripltek is a little bulky & hefty... but a great Android tablet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest