DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Mini no longer available?

WizardEyes

Reactions
Edit: So the Verizon rep was full of it when he said they are "no longer available". They are apparently just out of stock. They are available through Best Buy and other places. The question I have now is the iPad Air too big or should I stick with the Mini?

Tried to buy a iPad Mini today from Verizon and they told me they are no longer available. I'm wondering what's up with that. I really was hoping to use a larger screen with my MA2. Guess I might try a iPad Air but, it seems like it might be too big.

Last edited:
It may not be offered through Verizon, but there are plenty of Mini's out there for purchase.

I have the mini4 but the mini5 is newer and better.

Shop around. :)

Yeah, I want a Mini 5 for sure and would rather new. I also have a credit with Verizon I wanted to use. I see they are indeed still available, just not right now from Verizon. I think the guy on the phone wasn't being completely honest with me. He made it sound like they are discontinued.

Last edited:
Tried to buy a iPad Mini today from Verizon and they told me they are no longer available. I'm wondering what's up with that. I really was hoping to use a larger screen with my MA2. Guess I might try a iPad Air but, it seems like it might be too big.
It just means that they out of stock. If you go on their web site, all of the iPad Mino SKUs are listed as "out of stock".

Reactions: Mavikhan
Edit: So the Verizon rep was full of it when he said they are "no longer available". They are apparently just out of stock. They are available through Best Buy and other places. The question I have now is the iPad Air too big or should I stick with the Mini?

I got a mini 5 for Christmas so they are out there... from amazon I believe.

Here's a link to purchase a new cellular capable iPad Mini (currently in stock) from B&H. I purchased my iPad Pro from them and then had Verizon send me a sim card. You could confirm that would work with Verizon before purchasing from B&H. If you haven't dealt with B&H before you might consider using their Payboo card. Basically saves your state sales tax (I think the combination of B&H and the card company pay the tax for you).

Howard

Try Amazon. You don't need one with cell service to fly. I have a mini5 wifi only and it works great. To have the maps I set my phone up as a hotspot.

The new Ipad Air 10.9in 2020 with the A14 chip is awesome, my wife got one and I want to steal it from her.

Try Amazon. You don't need one with cell service to fly. I have a mini5 wifi only and it works great. To have the maps I set my phone up as a hotspot.
I also have the ipad mini wi-fi.. Explain the maps thing above please.

What map updates? Sorry..
When you scroll the map, the map tiles are downloaded from the Internet. They are cached so once they are downloaded, you'll have them on your device (for a while or until it needs more space). So if you are flying in a location that you have not used the DJI app before, it will need to download the maps. If you have a Wi-Fi connection (like to a hotspot from your phone), the map tiles will be downloaded.

Otherwise, you will need to scroll to the location that you plan on flying in while you still have a Wi-Fi connection. Check out this thread, How do I cache maps in the Fly app.

Reactions: Mavikhan and A.O.
When you scroll the map, the map tiles are downloaded from the Internet. They are cached so once they are downloaded, you'll have them on your device (for a while or until it needs more space). So if you are flying in a location that you have not used the DJI app before, it will need to download the maps. If you have a Wi-Fi connection (like to a hotspot from your phone), the map tiles will be downloaded.

Otherwise, you will need to scroll to the location that you plan on flying in while you still have a Wi-Fi connection. Check out this thread, How do I cache maps in the Fly app.
Ok, I have only ever flown at home so that has not come up, I can just use my phone as a hotspot if I ever do, thanks.

I have heard the IPad Mini 5 will soon be replaced the the Mini 6, this should be happening in early 2021. I am sure we will see more inventory draw downs on the 5 at many stores as the 6 will soon be replacing it.

Honestly, I think I'm going this route anyway.

Looks like a good choice it has a great screen and it doesn't have the bezels/ border that would make the 10.9in a bigger tablet physically, it's only 1.5 in more in length and height than the Ipad Mini 5 but with a much larger screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: NDWildBill
I don't think the map caching is non-volatile on the iOS. If you shut down the app then the map data is lost.

Here's a link to purchase a new cellular capable iPad Mini (currently in stock) from B&H. I purchased my iPad Pro from them and then had Verizon send me a sim card. You could confirm that would work with Verizon before purchasing from B&H. If you haven't dealt with B&H before you might consider using their Payboo card. Basically saves your state sales tax (I think the combination of B&H and the card company pay the tax for you).

Howard
I really like B&H. Excellent customer service.

Reactions: Howard70
Can you explain this a bit further? I think I know what you mean but, I'm not 100% sure.

When you don't have wi-fi connection for real time map updates you can cache a map area that the flight software can reference.
With IOS the cached map area it is not permanently saved, when the app is closed the cached map is deleted and you'll need to cache it again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent