DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IPad Mini WI-FI Version VS Cell/GPS Version - My Impressions

Oh yes....... thanks for the reminder.

I actually already have this one Skyreat Upgrade Aluminum-Alloy 4-12 Inches Foldable Tablet Ipad Mount Holder with Metal Nut Ring for Mavic Mini, Mavic 2 Pro,Mavic 2 Zoom/Mavic Air/Pro/DJI Spark Remote Controller

But the one you link to looks really interesting. I may have to look into that........ ;)

What sun shield do you use (or did you use with this)?

This One

They do until you change your Home Point while flying, than AC will go to original Home Point and not New One
That's not a map issue.
The map works just fine even without GPS data from your tablet/bluetooth etc.
The only features that can use your blootooth GPS data are resetting home to your current location and Follow-me flight.

Have you ever used your WiFi only iPad for turn by turn directions without being connected to a hot spot? Without gps on your iPad your location on the go 4 map is based on the drones initial gps position. If you walk away from that point your location on the map does not update. That's what the GPS module helps with. It gives your remote its own accurate point on the map wihtou needing the be connected to WiFi or a hotspot. Otherwise your drone has no idea where you are it only knows where it got its first position lock.

I understand not everyone uses this or finds it valuable but being able to dynamically change the home point based on where I am makes me feel more in control of the situation rather then the situation controlling me.

Reactions: cadbob
The go 4 app map is able to track a remote with a device that had gps and dynamically change home point while the drone is somewhere else. If you don't have GPS on your iPad the map is not working to its full potential.

True it's not broken. But it is not working fully to its potential.

No need to argue here or get defensive. I am just answering the question you asked. If you don't care about these features it's no skin off my back, but people should know the full picture before making decisions.

Hegemone, Guess if they never had it, they don't know what there missing! lol :rolleyes: I guess we like to have everything in App working as it is supposed too be meant for working with GPS and Compass.

Reactions: Hegemone
Hegemone, Guess if they never had it, they don't know what there missing! lol :rolleyes: I guess we like to have everything in App working as it is supposed too be meant for working with GPS and Compass.
There's too much confusion on this topic and it's hard to clarify the situation when people you don't understand add false information.
The compass in the phone or tablet has nothing to do with GPS.
The directional indicator in the app works perfectly without any GPS data.
The map and all other app features work just fine without GPS data from your tablet/bluetooth etc.
The only features that can use bluetooth GPS data are resetting home to your current location and Follow-me flight.

Most flyers don't move far enough while flying to ever need GPS in their tablets or see any difference.
It sounds like Hegmone does and that's fine for him.

There's too much confusion on this topic and it's hard to clarify the situation when people you don't understand add false information.
The compass in the phone or tablet has nothing to do with GPS.
The directional indicator in the app works perfectly without any GPS data.
The map and all other app features work just fine without GPS data from your tablet/bluetooth etc.
The only features that can use bluetooth GPS data are resetting home to your current location and Follow-me flight.

Most flyers don't move far enough while flying to ever need GPS in their tablets or see any difference.
It sounds like Hegmone does and that's fine for him.
Well, add dynamically changing home point based on your location and having the remote location updated on the map if you walk away from the launch site to the list of things that don't work without gps on the ipad. Other then that I understand the little arrow on the map moves based on the internal compass unit. Not sure why you think there is confusion here.

The drone also has an internal compass but also likes to have GPS to operate to its fullest ability. RTH and map position doesn't work to well if you are flying the drone inside out of reach of GPS signals to the drone.

You just seem **** bent on arguing even though you asked me why I used a Bluetooth gps receiver. If you are happy with your setup then rock on I never once criticised your rig. I don't recall asking why you prefer to fly without gps attached to your remote. Everyone seems to get that you can fly just fine without gps on your iPad mini.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why you think there is confusion here.
I was trying to clarify the misinformation from posts #43 & #47
You just seem hell bent on arguing even though you asked me why I used a Bluetooth gps receiver.
I'm not ****bent on anything and haven't a problem with what you've posted.
I asked because it's very uncommon for anyone to reset the home point and I was just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was trying to clarify the misinformation from posts #43 & #47

I'm not hellbent on anything and haven't a problem with what you've posted.
I asked because it's very uncommon for anyone to reset the home point and I was just curious.
Here's the summary of our exchanges as I see it.

You: why do you use that because everything works without it
Me: cause it makes this part work.
You: everything works except these two things that don't.
Me: but if those don't work then "everything" doesn't work and I like those things.
You: buy most people don't need it even though it all works. And it has nothing to do with that other part.
Me: why did you even ask.
You: to clarify confusion about someone who agreed with you.
Me: You win. Happy Flying.

This seems to happen a lot on forums.

• Haha
I have said it before but correct me if I'm wrong - Find My Drone will NOT work without GPS from somewhere.
Find my Drone doesn't actually find anything.
It displays the last location where the drone was recorded by the app.
If you have GPS on the phone or tablet, you might be able to use that to walk towards that point.

If you have GPS on the phone or tablet, you might be able to use that to walk towards that point.
Yes, That is exactly the point of FMD. As you move towards the downed drone the display will show your proximity to it. I hung mine in a palm tree once but couldn't see it and actually wasn't sure of which tree. FMD with my iPad's GPS walked me to it. Without GPS I would probably never have found it. With GPS it put me right at the correct tree.

Find my Drone doesn't actually find anything.
It displays the last location where the drone was recorded by the app.

Ehmm............ and 'Find my Drone' maybe?

Ehmm............ and 'Find my Drone' maybe?
No ...all it can do is to lead you to the last recorded location of the drone.
But if the drone continued flying past that point, Find My Drone won't help you because it has no way to find the drone.

No ...all it can do is to lead you to the last recorded location of the drone.
But if the drone continued flying past that point, Find My Drone won't help you because it has no way to find the drone.

Not to belabor the point, but I do believe there are people who have actually used Find My Drone to find their drones.

There will always be situations where it does not work, such as 'But if the drone continued flying past that point". But to just make the broad statement that Find My Drone doesn't work, or as you put it 'doesn't actually find anything', is IN MY OPINION wrong and misleading.

Again, this is MY OWN OPINION.

Cheers!

Not to belabor the point, but I do believe there are people who have actually used Find My Drone to find their drones.
There will always be situations where it does not work, such as 'But if the drone continued flying past that point". But to just make the broad statement that Find My Drone doesn't work, or as you put it 'doesn't actually find anything', is IN MY OPINION wrong and misleading.
Not to belabor the point, but I , but I was pointing out what Find my drone actually does, which is not what it's name says.
There will always be situations where it does not work, such as 'But if the drone continued flying past that point".
And those situations are common, possibly around half the incidents of lost drones.
But to just make the broad statement that Find My Drone doesn't work, or as you put it 'doesn't actually find anything', is IN MY OPINION wrong and misleading.
On the contrary, it is accurate and an attempt to dispel the common understanding that FMD will trace a lost drone via some hind of beacon or similar.

And those situations are common, possibly around half the incidents of lost drones.

Well, I guess we have a difference of opinion. I find FMD very effective and if used properly can indeed locate the drone. I believe most of the cases you are referring to involve blown away drones. The problems are the pilots make poor choices when they are in that situation. Allowing it to continue to be blown away until it loses signal is pointless and will result in a lost drone. This is not the fault of FMD but simply pilot error.

When you realize you can't make headway to return home - even after dropping to the lowest safe height - you need to land the drone immediately. Stop screwing around and just land! Gimble down and look for a spot and set her down. Then use FMD drone to locate it. Yes, if you're over water your done. But even if you are in dense trees you have a shot at recovery. At least a much better chance than letting it loose signal, drift away and trying to guess the area where it might have ended up.

This is something pilots need to think through BEFORE they fly so if the situation occurs they make the right decisions. Sure, when a blow away starts happening the initial reaction will be to panic but if you have previously thought through this and make the correct decisions odds are FMY drone might well save the day. It does work and works well.

But again, without GPS available on your display FMD will be of no help.

Just my 2 cents..................

Well, I guess we have a difference of opinion.
Actually we don't.
This is something pilots need to think through BEFORE they fly so if the situation occurs they make the right decisions.
If flyers thought before launching, they'd never get into a blow-away situation in the first place .
But unfortunately not everyone does.
For whatever reason, there are plenty of these incidents reported each week in this forum and owners wanting help.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots