DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IPad Mini WI-FI Version VS Cell/GPS Version - My Impressions

raymacke

Reactions
To fly the Mavic Mini I bought a used IPad Mini 4 with WI-FI only – no GPS with OS12 installed. After flying it several times I decided to return it and get the cell version which came with GPS – it has OS13 installed. I am new to drones and to Apple products so please weigh my comments accordingly. I have only about 8 batteries of time logged but here is my impression.

The Mini Ipad fits very well on the controller and is held firmly in place. A cable about 6” long or better is needed to make the connection and are readily available online. Both units seem to work well with the MM and presented no problems for basic flight. The FLY view on the screen goes all the way to the sides but there is a strip of unused black screen at the top and bottom about .6”(15mm) wide. This yields an actual screen size of roughly 7.2” (183mm). For me, this is not a problem but some have complained.

But my observation was lack of GPS did cause a few features to be non-functional.

The first was the mapping. Yes, with Wi-Fi available I could preload the map at home and use it but the tablet had to remain on to hold it. I assumed at the flight location I could use my phone as a hotspot and download the map but I could never get this to work correctly. I could bring up Google Maps on the phone and my location was marked but it would never show on the map in the fly app. I am at a loss as to why. Maybe too it was my lack of knowledge with the IPad but it was connected to the hotspot and could access the internet.

Next thing is Find My Drone did not work. It seemed to know the MM’s location but had no idea where I was. As I walked around the map didn’t move or know what direction I was moving. This was a concern for me as a new pilot. If I put it in the weeds while watching the screen I may have no idea where it is. That alone was enough reason to move to a cell/GPS version.

Also, the Aircraft Orientation display on the screen didn’t seem to work correctly. I was confused as to how it was supposed to work but just attributed it to my lack of overall knowledge. As a result, I sort of ignored it. But once I flew with the GPS model it came alive and it was obvious how it functions.

And one final thing – and this may be BS – it seemed like the battery on the RC last longer with the GPS version. After flying two batteries out the RC indicator would drop a light with the non-GPS version but now is not doing it on the new one. But like I said that may be pure BS and was just something going on with the new RC battery.

Just my observations……………….

Reactions: Mrveronn
As a new drone pilot, I really appreciate these observations. I stressed for several days over which tablet to purchase after I preordered my MM, especially since I have never owned a tablet or apple product before. I was able to find Wi-Fi only iPad Mini deals at Costco & AAFES, but the lack of GPS is what caused me to stress, and the cost for a cellular version was to steep.

In the end I finally purchased a Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4" with 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM, and added a 256GB mSD card. The Mediapad M5 is a great tablet. The display is bright, has excellent resolution, and the GPS works.

Do I need a cellular plan for it to work correctly?

NO, not needed to fly. The internal IPad GPS is the only feature you are really using. I have been putting it in the "airplane mode" to maybe save some battery power. That effective shuts off the cell service if I had it. I did stick an old sim card in the IPAD just to eliminate the warning that pops up about no sim card but it is not required.

Reactions: DeuceRon
I have searched this Forum and found this Topic and wondered if anyone would mind if I shared my problem with a view to asking for some help. I have a Mavic Mini and am using a Mini Ipad4 but it is only wiFi and not cellular. I am not an Apple person, in fact I do not use a smart 'phone but decided on the iPad for the larger screen. I am getting on quite well with the MM but the Aircradt Orientation Indicator is not working. This is a short video that I made :
I had calibrated the compass and the IMU but it made no difference. I do not have a compass on the iPad but I think the map is working although I have yet to test that more thoroughly when the wind calms down a bit. Would anyone be so kind as to suggest what may be wrong please ? TIA for any suggestions.

Next time you are all set to fly... move the rc+iPad in a figure of eight pattern for several repetitions. By doing this you are calibrating the compass in the iPad and teaching it to adjust in close proximity tot the RC... the iPad compass should settle down and you will have a better result with the orientation indicator... it works for me and hopefully for u2.

Reactions: warpfactor55
I had calibrated the compass and the IMU but it made no difference.
The problem is not related to the drone's compass and IMU which are working perfectly.
I do not have a compass on the iPad but I think the map is working although I have yet to test that more thoroughly when the wind calms down a bit. Would anyone be so kind as to suggest what may be wrong please ?
Every iPad has a compass sensor.
But yours is affected by the magnetic field created by the Mini's controller.
Try the procedure recommended in post #7 to calibrate the compass in your iPad (make sure the iPad is in the holder and the controller is powered on).

Next time you are all set to fly... move the rc+iPad in a figure of eight pattern for several repetitions. By doing this you are calibrating the compass in the iPad and teaching it to adjust in close proximity tot the RC... the iPad compass should settle down and you will have a better result with the orientation indicator... it works for me and hopefully for u2.
Thank you very much for that. I will certainly see if it all works for me. When you say "figure of eight" do you mean holding it horizontally like a tray as if you had cups of tea on it or vertically like say a steering wheel ? Or maybe holding one edge as if you were putting a book back in a bookshelf. I hope that makes sense. Thanks again.

The problem is not related to the drone's compass and IMU which are working perfectly.

Every iPad has a compass sensor.
But yours is affected by the magnetic field created by the Mini's controller.
Try the procedure recommended in post #7 to calibrate the compass in your iPad (make sure the iPad is in the holder and the controller is powered on).
Thank you very much for your help. I will try it when I can and report back to the thread.

Small update. I have managed to find the compass on the iPad. It does behave a bit awkwardly insofar as when I pull it up on the map the pointer is always at about 5.0 o-clock and it twizzles the map round accordingly. When I use my fingers to twizzle the map back to where I think it should be i.e. North facing upwards, the compass moves with it until I hit dead North at which time the compass disappears.

Small update. I have managed to find the compass on the iPad. It does behave a bit awkwardly insofar as when I pull it up on the map the pointer is always at about 5.0 o-clock and it twizzles the map round accordingly. When I use my fingers to twizzle the map back to where I think it should be i.e. North facing upwards, the compass moves with it until I hit dead North at which time the compass disappears.
It sounds like what you are describing is the compass needle icon that allows the map to be displayed either North-up or in the direction that you are facing.
At least that's the way it works with the Go app.

It sounds like what you are describing is the compass needle icon that allows the map to be displayed either North-up or in the direction that you are facing.
At least that's the way it works with the Go app.
I have managed to work out how the compass works (I think !) But I can only get it to show if I agree to allow the map app to show my location when I am in satellite mode. And when I do that then the compass moves whenever I turn the iPad round. But if I zoom right in the compass stops moving. BUT. If I selecet map mode instead of satellite mode the compass seems to work perfectly. I need to fly the MM and see what it all looks like then. Could I ask those of you who suggested moving the iPad/RC combination in a figure of eight exactly how to do that please ? i.e. horizontally, vertically, etc. ?

And one more thing that I keep reading about is the compass distortion caused by the right hand joystick on the RC. I wonder if that is contributing to my woes ? Watch this space but thanks again everyone.

I have managed to work out how the compass works (I think !) ......
The compass in your tablet isn't something that you need to pull up, it's not something you can see.
It's a sensor inside the tablet that tells the tablet which way it is facing.
And one more thing that I keep reading about is the compass distortion caused by the right hand joystick on the RC. I wonder if that is contributing to my woes ?
There are sources of electromagnetic activity inside your controller when it's turned on.
If they are close enough to the compass sensor, it will respond to them rather than the earth's magnetic field.
Calibrating the tablet's compass while it's connected to the controller will allow it to identify the magnetic fields that are part of the controller so they can be ignored.

On your iPad go to settings. On the left scroll down to DJI Fly and press it. On the right side you should see "Location" - press it. Then press "While Using App". See if that helps.

The compass in your tablet isn't something that you need to pull up, it's not something you can see.
It's a sensor inside the tablet that tells the tablet which way it is facing.

There are sources of electromagnetic activity inside your controller when it's turned on.
If they are close enough to the compass sensor, it will respond to them rather than the earth's magnetic field.
Calibrating the tablet's compass while it's connected to the controller will allow it to identify the magnetic fields that are part of the controller so they can be ignored.
Thank you for that. But I'm still not sure how to calibrate the compass that is in the iPad. It's the "figure of eight" mentioned in post #7 that has got me confused. Horizontally ? vertically ? Do I hold it vertically as if I was washing a window and do figure of eight movements ? Or hold it flat and do a figure of eight as if I was writing it on a table top ?

Thank you for that. But I'm still not sure how to calibrate the compass that is in the iPad. It's the "figure of eight" mentioned in post #7 that has got me confused. Horizontally ? vertically ? Do I hold it vertically as if I was washing a window and do figure of eight movements ? Or hold it flat and do a figure of eight as if I was writing it on a table top ?
Hold it flat, horizontal with the ground.

Thank you very much for that. I will certainly see if it all works for me. When you say "figure of eight" do you mean holding it horizontally like a tray as if you had cups of tea on it or vertically like say a steering wheel ? Or maybe holding one edge as if you were putting a book back in a bookshelf. I hope that makes sense. Thanks again.
Yes, that is how I do it...holding horizontally...and the cups of tea.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78