DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Pro 12.9 overheating

macfawlty

Reactions
I like a big monitor and use my iPad Pro 12.9” when flying. Problem is, in the summer it overheats easily. I’ve seen mygoflight cooling cases and others, but nothing for the 12.9”. Anyone have any bright ideas for keeping an iPad cool when flying in hot, sunny weather?

I like a big monitor and use my iPad Pro 12.9” when flying. Problem is, in the summer it overheats easily. I’ve seen mygoflight cooling cases and others, but nothing for the 12.9”. Anyone have any bright ideas for keeping an iPad cool when flying in hot, sunny weather?
Yes. Move to the UK - it's rarely hot and sunny here!

Yes. Move to the UK - it's rarely hot and sunny here!
At least one thing I won't need to worry about on my next visit to the UK, notwithstanding the time I have to sit looking out of the window at rain and blinding fog. However, my next big trip is Maui, with enough sun to melt down that iPad. Too windy for an umbrella. I may be relegated to Sunrise/Sunset if I want to use that beast. My first thought is a DIY idea with a thin frozen gel pack.

For whatever reason, no one makes a cooling case for the 12.9" iPad Pro. Hard to find even a sun shade that size. For me, my Samsung Galaxy s21 is just too small to read telemetry.

I may have to go back to the 9.7" for summer, which doesn't overheat as easily.

Check out the X-naut 12.9". You can get their accessories or plate to mount to most tablet mounts & RC clamps.

I use their 11" iPad Pro, and it's popular with airplane Pilots... leg mount.

The fans definitely help with cooler Temps and the overall tray is very thin.

Check out the X-naut 12.9". You can get their accessories or plate to mount to most tablet mounts & RC clamps.

I use their 11" iPad Pro, and it's popular with airplane Pilots... leg mount.

The fans definitely help with cooler Temps and the overall tray is very thin.

Thanks for that. I looked over their compatibility and it doesn’t mention my specific model # or 5th generation, but I emailed them for clarification. They do look like a most excellent solution. Hopefully, they have one to fit.

Thanks for that. I looked over their compatibility and it doesn’t mention my specific model # or 5th generation, but I emailed them for clarification. They do look like a most excellent solution. Hopefully, they have one to fit.
Looks like you‘re correct… not in their listing yet. But the “Coming Soon“ A2229 is a 2020 4th Gen 12.9 and that the same physical dimensions 2020-2021. So you‘ll be able to get one soon.

I have them for my older iPad Pro with Home Buttons and newer 11” iPad Pro. I find the tray pretty thin, light weight and when you add their tablet mount plate to tray it mounts nicely in RC clamps.

Not sure if due to Covid time frame, but I found them extremely poor in communications. I asked a few questions and never did get any response from them.

I have a 5th Gen 12.9 1TB used for LumaFusion editing, not used to Fly.

Good Luck, hope it works out for you.

Has anyone flown in heat with a M1 chip iPad vs. Axx version chip? I'm curious to know if the overheating issue is as persistent with the newer chips as the phone based ones? Currently flying with iPhone XS which in peak Texas heat needs to be pre-cooled or operated in a vehicle to prevent overheat screen dim issues. Trying to decide which iPad would work best per dollar (leaning towards the 5th gen Air) and which would have _less_ tendency to overheat in 100°F+ temps. TIA.

I use ipads, both a Mini and and an 11-inch M1 pro to fly mapping missions. Dimming/overheating is the only weakness of both these devices. I either fly in the car with A/C on max in southern Arizona summers, or I bring an ice pack. I sit in the shade, prop the tablet on the ice pack, and use a long cord to keep my hands on the controls.

Has anyone flown in heat with a M1 chip iPad vs. Axx version chip? I'm curious to know if the overheating issue is as persistent with the newer chips as the phone based ones? Currently flying with iPhone XS which in peak Texas heat needs to be pre-cooled or operated in a vehicle to prevent overheat screen dim issues. Trying to decide which iPad would work best per dollar (leaning towards the 5th gen Air) and which would have _less_ tendency to overheat in 100°F+ temps. TIA.
In comparison, the M1 processors run cooler. I haven't specifically performed a comparison with RC, I have run LumaFusion Video Editor on both and the M1 runs much cooler.

I believe that specs and advertising also indicate M1 is cooler.
Although, that said... as @Debaser_AZ indicted, the iPads will still heat up in Sun & higher Temps. The Screen in Sun absorbs the sun rays and will overheat the iPad. High Abient Temps will prevent or degrade the ipad's aluminum pan providing heat sink characteristics.

Shade it (Hoodmans Hood) or stay in shade to prolong operations in high Temps & Sun. A small cooler with blue ice bags is great to toss it in between flights.

I fly with the iPad mini 6 and have never run into an overheating issue with it. I use the tablet holder that I picked up from DJI, I have never tried sticking my 12.9 inch iPad Pro into it. That has to be heavy as can be. Ill have to try that out the one I have has the M1 processor in it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giku