DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Pro will not connect to Mavic 3 Controller Via USB C

That's the idea. I wonder if anyone at DJI will see this thread, identify the issue with the controller, and correct the firmware (if it can be done that way). I can dream....
I don't believe it's a fly app issue or RC controller since it's only effecting 1 specific iPad Pro model and year. It's more of an Apple issue and since it's 2018 and not present in newer generation, I doubt Apple will give it much attention.

I don't believe it's a fly app issue or RC controller since it's only effecting 1 specific iPad Pro model and year. It's more of an Apple issue and since it's 2018 and not present in newer generation, I doubt Apple will give it much attention.
I'm sure Apple will be useless. I'm pretty sure it's a DJI issue either because of Fly or more likely the controller. The same iPad has worked for me with P4Ps, Matrices, and Inspires. So DJI knows how to allow a controller to talk to the iPad. Just not this controller (Mavic 3 and Mini 2).

I'm sure Apple will be useless. I'm pretty sure it's a DJI issue either because of Fly or more likely the controller. The same iPad has worked for me with P4Ps, Matrices, and Inspires. So DJI knows how to allow a controller to talk to the iPad. Just not this controller (Mavic 3 and Mini 2).
This RC fails to connect for me with any Crafts using this Radio and only the 2018 11" iPad Pro. Mini2, Air2, Air2S,

Although the other crafts use GoApp's and different Radios to attach... older radios different protocols in connectivity all iPad connect.

All other Crafts & iPads works for me too... except on this RC & 2018 11". It's not the craft, that will consistently connect to RC and responsive... don't need tablet to test craft connectivity.

I've ruled out RC since all other USBC port iPad/ iPad Pro, including 2021 11" in my tests connect with no issues. If RC related, it most likely would effect other iPad too: 2018 12.9", 2021 12.9", 2021 11" and iPad 6 Mini - all USBC ports. In my tests, only the 2018 11".

But others have a few variations in their tests... so possible.
Good Luck, I've switched over to iPad mini 6 for this setup.

Has anyone tried connecting the standard Mavic 3 controller to a USB C iPad Pro? That has always been my go-to setup with my Mavic 2 Pro, but it turns out that this combination is currently a no-go with the Mavic 3 controller.

Have tried multiple cables, and multiple iPad pros via USB C, with the same result every time.

The iPad Pro will not see the remote / aircraft in DJI Fly. Switching to iPhone via Lightning cable, it works every time. Reading through the Mavic 3 Facebook groups, it seems that I am not alone with this issue, but I haven't seen mention of it in these forums?

Anyone else had this issue or found a workaround? I understand that USB C connections to Android Tablets work, and this only impacts iPad's with USB C connectivity.
Yes I am having the same issue. What is funny is that for 4 flights two days ago and on the 5th flight (mind you on a SAR mission) it simply doesn’t want to connect. Very weird. And I am 100% sure it is not a cable issue since I have 6 different cables that I have tried.

‘And by the way my regular iPad works just fine. it is just that my iPad Pro 12.9” that is having this issue.

Has anyone tried connecting the standard Mavic 3 controller to a USB C iPad Pro? That has always been my go-to setup with my Mavic 2 Pro, but it turns out that this combination is currently a no-go with the Mavic 3 controller.

Have tried multiple cables, and multiple iPad pros via USB C, with the same result every time.

The iPad Pro will not see the remote / aircraft in DJI Fly. Switching to iPhone via Lightning cable, it works every time. Reading through the Mavic 3 Facebook groups, it seems that I am not alone with this issue, but I haven't seen mention of it in these forums?

Anyone else had this issue or found a workaround? I understand that USB C connections to Android Tablets work, and this only impacts iPad's with USB C connectivity.
I have a 12” ipad pro and did not have a problem. I am out of town but will be glad to post pics when I get home at the end of the month. Cheers and blessings! God is good.

Guys, i have an ipad pro 2018 and have the same issues but i have found a workaround that works everytime. If you have this issue where the the controller doesnt detect the ipad try it out:

1-Connect the ipad and the controller with a quality cable
2-Turn on the controller
3-Open the Flyapp app manually and wait 10 seconds
4-Now, here's the important part: While the controller and the ipad are connected, Connect a USB-C charger to the controller and wait a few seconds. After a few seconds, you will see the tablet detecting the controller successfully.
5-Now you can disconnect the charger from the controller and use the tablet to fly your drone normally.

In short: While the tablet and the RC are connected you need to connect a charger to the controller for a few seconds and that's it.

I know this is an old topic but hopefully it may help someone.

Guys, i have an ipad pro 2018 and have the same issues but i have found a workaround that works everytime. If you have this issue where the the controller doesnt detect the ipad try it out:

1-Connect the ipad and the controller with a quality cable
2-Turn on the controller
3-Open the Flyapp app manually and wait 10 seconds
4-Now, here's the important part: While the controller and the ipad are connected, Connect a USB-C charger to the controller and wait a few seconds. After a few seconds, you will see the tablet detecting the controller successfully.
5-Now you can disconnect the charger from the controller and use the tablet to fly your drone normally.

In short: While the tablet and the RC are connected you need to connect a charger to the controller for a few seconds and that's it.

I know this is an old topic but hopefully it may help someone.
Interesting, charge circuit activates data communications.
I'll try it out of curiosity, although I've adapted to the 2021 11" or iPad Mini 6th gen.

Odd direction, how'd you come to test that route?
I'm curious if like the Android, you could elect USB charge variable within a setting that may perform the same end result.

Odd direction, how'd you come to test that route?
Just by pure chance. I was testing different cables and stuff to troubleshoot the issue. With the tablet and the controller connected, i noticed that the controller's battery was somewhat low so i connected a charger to its bottom port and after 3 seconds or so i heard the "chime" sound and saw that the tablet recognized the controller. Just by connecting a charger to the controller, the tablet and the controller got linked.

I removed the charger from the controller to see if it was able to maintain the connection with the tablet and it did, so i went and did a test flight and all was good.

Now i only fly with the tablet but i always have to do this small trick. To make everything smoother on the field im using the small adapter that came with the drone. I use the drone's battery with the adapter for a few seconds just to get the tablet and the rc linked. After that i put the battery in the drone and start flying.

Hopefully everything makes sense. English isn't my main language.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
Just by pure chance. I was testing different cables and stuff to troubleshoot the issue. With the tablet and the controller connected, i noticed that the controller's battery was somewhat low so i connected a charger to its bottom port and after 3 seconds or so i heard the "chime" sound and saw that the tablet recognized the controller. Just by connecting a charger to the controller, the tablet and the controller got linked.

I removed the charger from the controller to see if it was able to maintain the connection with the tablet and it did, so i went and did a test flight and all was good.

Now i only fly with the tablet but i always have to do this small trick. To make everything smoother on the field im using the small adapter that came with the drone. I use the drone's battery with the adapter for a few seconds just to get the tablet and the rc linked. After that i put the battery in the drone and start flying.

Hopefully everything makes sense. English isn't my main language.
Interesting, and I'll try it.

It’s the only cable tha I haven’t any problem.
Makes no difference on the 11" iPad Pro... not the cable, it's within 11" iPad Pro to RC N1 connectivity, also not the Fly App. Same results with 3rd Party Apps (Litchi, Drone Link, etc) and Air2S.

As mentioned in past, all other iPad Pro: 12.9" in my testing works fine.
The new iPad Mini 5, also works great... I've adopted the new Mini Cellular in place of 11" for all use of RC N1... not limited to M3.
The 11" iPad Pro continues to work great for all Go4 applied RC connections regardless of cable.

The above charging bump procedure also indicates a communication issue... that works sometimes regardless of cable applied.

Not sure if an app update finally fixed the issues but my ipad pro 12.9 now works with my mavic 3

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78