DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone 11 - Screen hardly visible in bright sunlight

MTNS_HIKER

Reactions
I'm a new user of a Mavic Air 2. When using my iPhone 11 attached to the Controller, the image is very dark when using in bright sunlight. I've adjusted the brightness on the phone to maximum brightness. The drone and controller are working fine, just not able to see the display with clarity.

Any suggestions or options to improve visibility? Thank you.

I'm a new user of a Mavic Air 2. When using my iPhone 11 attached to the Controller, the image is very dark when using in bright sunlight. I've adjusted the brightness on the phone to maximum brightness. The drone and controller are working fine, just not able to see the display with clarity.

Getting a sunshade can help a little bit but it’s an issue every drone pilot contends with. Have to find a shady place to fly from or get the smart controller that has a much brighter display than any phone or tablet.

Reactions: tlswift58
Use an iPad and buy the Hoodman for $35 on Amazon

Iphones have high temperature protection. Above a specific temperature the phone will reduce the brightness to 25% (without you being able to do anything about it), it will reduce the processor speed as well.

Everything is made worse by the always-on charging function implemented by DJI. So hot day + always-on charging, your phone will turn blind in 5 to 10 minutes and you can literally pack and go home because there is no way you can fly with a 75% dimmed display.

This really-really sucks. DJI must bring back the charging on/off toggle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Category 5
Iphones have high temperature protection. Above a specific temperature the phone will reduce the brightness to 25% (without you being able to do anything about it), it will reduce the processor speed as well.

Everything is made worse by the always-on charging function implemented by DJI. So hot day + always-on charging, your phone will turn blind in 5 to 10 minutes and you can literally pack and go home because there is no way you can fly with a 75% dimmed display.

Thanks for that info! It has happened to me too!

Reactions: dozzn

I noticed this too. I never used that feature and never had an issue with my iPhone 12 Pro. Now the heat of charging renders my screen useless within minutes. They are trying to force us to buy smart controller. I would actually do it gladly if the unit wasn’t built on slow old tech. I will pounce on a SC2 but I hope they remove the always charging function since I prefer to manage my batteries myself.

Does the Screen Dimming occur on Android devices? If not can someone recommend an inexpensive (Under $150) Android Device. Thanks and HFTA!

Reactions: johngelesko
I spent quite a time on researching this. Some times it takes me months before I put my money into something. This only took a month and I jumped in. That was the Tripltek monitor. On getting it in I knew I would be concerned about the weight and that must be the 10k amp hour battery. But no more, I really like it.

I spent quite a time on researching this. Some times it takes me months before I put my money into something. This only took a month and I jumped in. That was the Tripltek monitor. On getting it in I knew I would be concerned about the weight and that must be the 10k amp hour battery. But no more, I really like it.
Thanks for the info on the Triptek

i've suffered through the same with my Mini2 as well as Air2S.
two suggestions.
see if your DJI Fly or Go app has a control feature "charge iPhone", if so, turn it off.
second, on your iphone settings, be sure to put Display "Auto-Lock" to "Never" while flying.

Remember, in worst case scenario, you can always use the remote controller option to RTH!
(I've had to resort to that on one occasion!)

Reactions: pommy
two suggestions.
see if your DJI Fly or Go app has a control feature "charge iPhone", if so, turn it off.
second, on your iphone settings, be sure to put Display "Auto-Lock" to "Never" while flying.

Remember, in worst case scenario, you can always use the remote controller option to RTH!
The charge feature has been removed from Fly, not sure if I ever saw it in Go. You'd have to go back to Fly Version 1.2.x something to get the charge toggle. I have not paid attention to what happens with my iPhone with 1.4.8, as I am almost always completely charged before I go out to Fly, not sure why this is so hard to do.

As far as sun and heat, a shady location if available or device sun-shades are about it... There is always a mention of the way over-priced smart controllers screen brightness, which I am sure is quite good, but I can usually always find shade to fly from, or use a sun shade I carry around.

Any device has temperature limitations, and if your flying somewhere these days when its in the 90s or better, I would be more worried about the AC and its batteries then whether or not my device heat throttles.

From DJI>..Hello there. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I am sorry to say that the said phone charging on the said mobile device can not be turned off. The reason why your mobile device ( Tripltek ) is discharging your DJI remote controller. This is because the Android mobile device needs on-going 500ma to maintain the USB connection, so there is no option for the Android device to disable the charging mode, it is related to the android system and the communication protocol. This is regulated by the Android Open Accessory ( AOA ). Thank you.

two suggestions.

Thanks, Sar', I immediately made sure my IPhone setting was on "Never auto lock display" Hopefully that it help. Macinfo also made good point about flying in 90 degree weather, I agree in hot weather we need to be concerned about everything (drone and batteries). Thanks everyone, enjoy a safe and happy flying summer.

Thanks, Sar', I immediately made sure my IPhone setting was on "Never auto lock display" Hopefully that it help. Macinfo also made good point about flying in 90 degree weather, I agree in hot weather we need to be concerned about everything (drone and batteries). Thanks everyone, enjoy a safe and happy flying summer.
Also...turning up the brightness won't help if you don't specifically turn off the "auto-brightness" option in settings. It will just dim itself again after a while.

You can find the settings here as they are not so obvious...

Go to Settings > Accessibility. Tap Display & Text Size and then to the very bottom.

I am using a tablet made by Tripltek,with a mavmount scout to hold it.
The tablet is great,super bright 1200 nit screen that will not go dark on you.
The tablet is military grade ,thick and heavy but is the best I have come across.

Reactions: MA2 317
The tablet is military grade ,thick and heavy but is the best I have come across.
I finally gave up after weeks of researching in finding a way to stop the overheating of my Iphone 10XR. This summer was pretty hot here and I have used hoods too in shady spots but the phone still got too hot even with the case off and all the suggestions for settings. I got the Tripltek and it works great. HFTA!

interesting!
tell us more about you setup, please!
is the cell phone connected somehow?
which drone?
DJI Go or Fly software?
do LAANC or nearby aircraft warnings work?
how well-balanced is the remote with the tablet?
thanks!

interesting!
tell us more about you setup, please!
is the cell phone connected somehow?
which drone?
DJI Go or Fly software?
do LAANC or nearby aircraft warnings work?
how well-balanced is the remote with the tablet?
thanks!
No cell phone,just the Tripltek tablet.I have a Mavic Air2 .
It uses the fly app software,and the aircraft warning does work providing
that the aircraft has the box on it to broadcast signal,not all of the
aircraft have it.
I would say its about 50% that have it.
The mavmount scout I have works well with the remote.
I use a lanyard strap that helps with the balance also.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MacPilot55