DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone 12 on a drone

wco81

Reactions
At Apple's presentation of it's latest iPhone, they showed video taken by a professional filmmaker. Some of the shots they showed were clearly taken from a drone or maybe a helicopter.

But they showed a drone with a top-mounted iPhone on some kind of drone.

It wasn't that large, seemed to be comparable in size to a Mavic Pro.

Anyone know if there are drones which will let you mount a phone and control it? What is odd is it was mounted on top, so that doesn't seem to make sense, since some of the shots were directly overhead a jeep driving through the desert.

Mavic 2 Pro has a larger 1-inch sensor but iPhone 12 is using computational photography and the results look great for both photos and videos, including night photos and videos with Dolby Vision HDR in real time. iPhone would have way more processing power than the SOC used in Mavic Drones, though I would have to wonder about the stabilization compared to the gimbal on a Mavic. iPhone is suppose to offer various forms of OIS for both photos and videos.

I assume it was a custom mount on a FPV drone. iPhone videos and photos are all about the software.

When I search, there are some photos of iPhones duct-taped to a drone, with warning about not doing it.

New top of the line iPhones go for around $1500 if you load it up.

So maybe not something the average person would risk putting up.

Mounting it on top of most DJI drones will block the GPS antenna, with predictably harsh results.

Reactions: Thomas B
At Apple's presentation of it's latest iPhone, they showed video taken by a professional filmmaker. Some of the shots they showed were clearly taken from a drone or maybe a helicopter.
Perhaps it was a helicopter?
But they showed a drone with a top-mounted iPhone on some kind of drone.
It wasn't that large, seemed to be comparable in size to a Mavic Pro.
Screen-Shot-2020-10-13-at-3.00.24-PM.png

Anyone know if there are drones which will let you mount a phone and control it? What is odd is it was mounted on top, so that doesn't seem to make sense, since some of the shots were directly overhead a jeep driving through the desert.
If there is, it's an expensive custom model, to provide controls for the phone camera.
It would cost more than buying an off-the-shelf DJI drone.
It certainly wasn't shot from that cheap FPV racer that it's shown strapped to above.
The sequence you describe can be seen here:

Yeah like I said in the brief shot they showed, it was top mounted.

Maybe it doesn't control the phone at all. They start recording on the phone and just take off, with no video feed of what it's capturing until afterwards.

Certainly Apple could pay to have such a custom rig.

Yeah like I said in the brief shot they showed, it was top mounted.
Certainly Apple could pay to have such a custom rig.
As I said, there's no way they shot the promo with a phone strapped to an FPV drone.
It would have been cheaper and quicker to send the oscar winning cinematographer up in a helicopter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada