DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone 7 vs iPad mini

fullbore

Reactions
I’m a FNG, ordered DJI mini 2, then learned my Samsung J7 isn’t compatible with dji fly.
So have to buy another phone or iPad, just for the drone. Will probably keep existing phone and iPad, so new purchase would only be for fly support.

Does cell access help, or is WiFi-only iPad fine?

My phone carrier (4 phones on family plan) is only $31/mo with Tracfone.

I have no idea what an FNG is, but we don't discriminate here. Drone Lives Matter.

As far as what you attach to your Mini2 controller, you do not need cell or wifi. In fact, some of us put our phones in airplane mode when we fly to avoid incoming calls, texts and emails as we're trying to keep our drones out of harm's way.

An iPhone 7 will work just fine. I'm using a 6sPlus with no issues and have a Mavic 2 pro and no issues with my Mini 1 that I just sold off to make way for an inbound Mini 2. If you get an iPad, one of the later ones will function fine. However, as I don't won't have my Mini 2 for a few days, what I've heard is that it might not hold an ipad Mini without an adapter (someone else chime in here). It will function with a latter day fully size iPad, but will definitely need an adapater. The safe bet is the iPhone7. The only thing I would advise is if you get a phone get the one with the largest screen available.

I have no idea what an FNG is, but we don't discriminate here. Drone Lives Matter.

As far as what you attach to your Mini2 controller, you do not need cell or wifi. In fact, some of us put our phones in airplane mode when we fly to avoid incoming calls, texts and emails as we're trying to keep our drones out of harm's way.

An iPhone 7 will work just fine. I'm using a 6sPlus with no issues and have a Mavic 2 pro and no issues with my Mini 1 that I just sold off to make way for an inbound Mini 2. If you get an iPad, one of the later ones will function fine. However, as I don't won't have my Mini 2 for a few days, what I've heard is that it might not hold an ipad Mini without an adapter (someone else chime in here). It will function with a latter day fully size iPad, but will definitely need an adapater. The safe bet is the iPhone7. The only thing I would advise is if you get a phone get the one with the largest screen available.
I used an older iphone SE for well over a year before I upgraded to an iPad mini new generation. Both work fine, but I find myself using my new iPhone 11 more often because it's less cumbersome and the screen is large enough. The iPad mini is great, but outdoor glare can be a problem.

Reactions: fullbore

Thank you for your input. (FNG is for effing new guy)

Reactions: hiflyer201
Hiya, and welcome to the forum. I have an ipad Mini for my drone as I have sight issues, and as the guys above have said, you don’t need Wifi or cellular connection. If you can only buy one, then the extra screen size of a Mini is definitely worth it.

Hiya, and welcome to the forum. I have an ipad Mini for my drone as I have sight issues, and as the guys above have said, you don’t need Wifi or cellular connection. If you can only buy one, then the extra screen size of a Mini is definitely worth it.
Ok, based in part on your input, I ordered a iPad mini.

Reactions: Lastrexking
I use an iPad mini 5 with my Air 2 and it works very well (no cellular connection necessary). I recommend the Etsy (Miss Crissy) adapter, it works especially well since it tilts upward, weighs next to nothing, and accommodates a sun shield very well. The stock cable works fine with the mini5.

I use an iPad mini 5 with my Air 2 and it works very well (no cellular connection necessary). I recommend the Etsy (Miss Crissy) adapter, it works especially well since it tilts upward, weighs next to nothing, and accommodates a sun shield very well. The stock cable works fine with the mini5.
Couldn’t find that adapter.

I started my DJI Mini 2 experience with my iPhone 11 Pro Max. Seemed pretty good but I opted to order a new iPad mini 5. Seemed hard to see In bright sunlight so based on some recommendation I ordered a real good anti glare screen protector. Today even with a sun blocking hood it was difficult to see the picture being sent back from my drone. So after getting back from our airfield I again installed my IPhone 11 Pro Max and I actually think I can see the image from the drone better than my expensive pimped out iPad mini. Could this be? I really wanted the bigger screen but if I can’t make out the image from the drone it is no good to me. I do not plan on flying BVLOS but I would like to be able to see the image from the drone in bright sunlight. Not to much sunlight this time of year in Central New York but summer is coming. Trying to get this issue ironed out before then.

I currently have a Mini 2 and iPad mini 5 (WiFi). I also have the official DJI iPad mini holder. It works great and allows you to move the display around so it’s not to top heavy and thus hard to hold upright.

This stand has that issue (RCstyle DJI Mavic Mini 2 Remote Controllers Aluminium Alloy Tablet Clip Mount Holder, Mavic Air 2 Drone Controllers Adjustable Stand Accessory Compatible with 7.9-10'' Tablet Stand…)

I do suggest getting a longer iOS cable. I found one on Amazon for cheap (Hanatora 11.8 Inch USB C to iOS Nylon Braided Remote Controller Cable for DJI Mini 2/Mavic Air 2, 1FT OTG Tablet Phone Extension RC Data Cord(iOS Connector)

Due to the iPad not having GPS, I just use my iPhone as a hotspot when not near WiFi.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2