DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone Issue Help? Random Power Down

Do not believe the issue went past the 6s series, however, knowing that it actually extends further than that your guess is as good as anyone else's. Not heard of any similar reports with the 7 though so I think you are safe.

My first flight (I'm a newb) about 385 up maybe 700 feet away and all going great. Heavy wind warning on controller. Then my phone 100% shuts down. I panic, but realize I will be okay. Bring Mavic closer and practice flying low in the field until battery wore down. Then power up iPhone 6S and showing 59% (started at 95%). Next flight on next Mavic battery again about 6-8 min into flight phone shuts off.
WTF. I know this is an iPhone issue as it has done this randomly before. But never back to back. Anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

What was the outside temperature when the phone shut off? I believe it happens often in cold weather. The battery can't hold its charge when it's cold outside and the DJI GO app is used that draws a lot of power.

What was the outside temperature when the phone shut off? I believe it happens often in cold weather. The battery can't hold its charge when it's cold outside and the DJI GO app is used that draws a lot of power.

I actually flew today 30 degree fahrenheit. Ran through two Mavic batteries (waiting on third, arghhh). My phone did not shut down once this time. I started with 100% iPhone battery and right when I landed final flight got the 20% warning. Drained phone fast. But no random power down today.

I had a shut down of my 6s Plus today during my first flight. I had connected the phone to the controller previously and even performed a firmware upgrade using it. It was quite cold, in the teens, and I thought that I had drained the battery. However, the Mavic had only been airborne several minutes. Fortunately I had an experienced mentor looking over my shoulder and he helped me keep my cool and get the Mavic down in one piece. As soon as we got back indoors I was able to turn the phone back on and it showed 59% charge. I'm unaware of any previous shutdowns. I ran my phone through the above mentioned site but it doesn't qualify. My one year anniversary date is only a couple of weeks away so this is really concerning.

I had a shut down of my 6s Plus today during my first flight. I had connected the phone to the controller previously and even performed a firmware upgrade using it. It was quite cold, in the teens, and I thought that I had drained the battery. However, the Mavic had only been airborne several minutes. Fortunately I had an experienced mentor looking over my shoulder and he helped me keep my cool and get the Mavic down in one piece. As soon as we got back indoors I was able to turn the phone back on and it showed 59% charge. I'm unaware of any previous shutdowns. I ran my phone through the above mentioned site but it doesn't qualify. My one year anniversary date is only a couple of weeks away so this is really concerning.

I called Apple support and they said my 6S was not one on the "affected" list. BUT ran a diagnostic on phone and could see there are issues with my battery, even prior to Mavic Pro. Told me go to Apple store and get new phone.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I posted about the same problem. I had a shutdown while waiting for a battery replacement to come into stock.

It took 5 days for Apple to get the replacement in stock. It only took about an hour to replace the battery.

It's been raining where I live so I haven't flown since the battery replacement.

I did notice today though that my battery lasted all day without plugging my phone in which is nice. The battery degraded slowly and I just got used to plugging the phone in multiple times a day.

As mentioned, Apple have pretty much admitted that the issue is wider than first thought. Take your phone to an Apple store, say exactly what happened. They will run diagnostics, say it is not effected by the issue (probably told to say this) but still replace your battery for you.

I have an iphone 6s whose serial was not in the list of affected phones. However I had these random shutdowns. So I went to apple support and they agreed to replace the battery as part of the valid warranty. I believe they already know that probably more devices are affected by this issue and they have started to approve battery replacements in order to keep their customers satisfied.

This has happened to your 6+? or is it a 6S+?, my 6+ has never shut down unexpectedly, although I will say the Mavic sucks the battery down pretty fast, 20% per flight. Not sure if that is because the battery is over 2 years old or if there is a SW issue.
Yes this happened to my 6 +

Thanks although that is exactly what has been discussed throughout the whole thread :)

Thanks although that is exactly what has been discussed throughout the whole thread :)
No link was provide and from I perused (yes I did not read each comment) everyone was saying they just spoke to techs. Thought I was being helpful, sorry.

Reactions: chippie

The temperature was in the mid to upper teens.

Mine shut down today and is in the affected batch, its a hardware issue on the apple side rather than DJI in this case...

Had a chat with Applecare. Takeaway is that everything checked out except the unexpected shut down wasn't reported. The support tech made several suggestions most important was to perform a full backup and restore. In addition he gave me his own Apple e-mail address so that I could keep him posted of my ongoing experience. Also, last night I ordered a used Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0" as an alternative to the iPhone. Now off to perform the backup and restore.

Mine shut down today and is in the affected batch, its a hardware issue on the apple side rather than DJI in this case...

I just came back in from flying and my phone was around 95% charged before I started, I flew 1 battery and it went down to 71% then soon as I switched the MP off and the RC to swap the battery the phone went black!

Tried switching it back on but just had the plug in to charge picture on screen... something odd is happening here that is for sure, I had to charge my phone in the car for around 20 mins to be able to fly my 2nd and 3rd packs

I know this has probably been asked before but is there actually a way to charge the phone whilst flying? using latest FW on iPhone 6 and MP, RC of course..

Reactions: voxelman
There is actually a recall on the iPhone 6s. Apple stays quiet about them though. If you poke around on the support site, you'll find it. Put in your serial number and it tells you if you are eligible. If so, go into any Apple store and they replace the battery free. You can send your phone in and have it done too, but who wants to be without their phone?

Ahh...those silent or quiet recalls.

I just came back in from flying and my phone was around 95% charged before I started, I flew 1 battery and it went down to 71% then soon as I switched the MP off and the RC to swap the battery the phone went black!

Tried switching it back on but just had the plug in to charge picture on screen... something odd is happening here that is for sure, I had to charge my phone in the car for around 20 mins to be able to fly my 2nd and 3rd packs

I know this has probably been asked before but is there actually a way to charge the phone whilst flying? using latest FW on iPhone 6 and MP, RC of course..

Apparently there are battery cases that have feed through lightening connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-i-Blason-External-Lightning-Connector/dp/B00NFYCMXQ

Last edited:
Reactions: Loz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure