DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Iphone versus Android

hkdman

Reactions
Hello! So my Iphone 6 plus screen is pretty banged up. I am contemplating 1) fixing the screen or 2) upgrading my phone. If I upgrade, I am contemplating either getting the 7 Plus or an Android based phone. I mostly fly with DJI Go 4, although I also use Litchi if I am planning a mission. My question for this esteemed group is what would be the major differences between an android and IOS phone on the Go 4 app or Litchi. I have heard that Android has some compatibility issues with Litchi. Any other issues? If Android, is there a particular phone that you like? I am leaning towards a new Iphone becasue that is what I have used for years so very familiar with it - but it may be nice to switch things up.

Would like to know as well. I've heard rumors of the android app crashing a lot mid flight.

I have always used Android for flying with DJI drones since Phantom 2 Vision in 2013. With the Mavic and Go 4, starting in late October 2016, I was having quite a few crashes using my Nexus 5x. I started using Litchi more and more but of course it doesn't support interesting modes for shooting like ActiveTrack and Tripod. I crashed less though. Then I got a tablet holder and started using the Nexus 9 I had used extensively for P3 and P4. It seemed a little better but still crashed sometimes.

In the last couple of weeks, I pulled out an old unused Samsung S5 my son had and it has never crashed. With the very latest firmware and Go 4 app, and uninstalling the old Go app, I switched back to Nexus 5x for a couple of flights and only had one crash which was way better than I was seeing before.

So I think on Android it's device-dependent.

iOS vs Android is a very personal choice - there is no right answer. You're smart to consider both.

Reactions: Brojon
Just one note: DJI at present seems to invest more in the IOS version of Go4. Some features are still missing on the Android, and Android Go4 is two versions behind IOS at present. Go figure...

Reactions: Wersh
Thanks for the feedback! I think I will go with IOS. From what I am hearing - it crashes from a few times to quite often. I have never had my IOS crash while flying - so from that experience - I don't want to go with a phone that has any potential to crash. Thanks!

Yeah much as I prefer Android over iOS, for this application at this time you are probably better off using iOS (wow, first time ever for me saying something like that!)

Reactions: Cimriver
I'm not someone that's a fan of Apple products but I feel you would be better sticking with IOS particularly when you have no specific requirement that an Android device can meet and Apple can't. DJI do seem to focus much more on their IOS apps and their Android app seems to have inconsistent performance between different devices.

Dji conspiracy theory.....Owned by apple Watch the prices go up and the support for Android go down.

Admittedly, I am new to all this drone thing, but this is what I've experienced over the past few weeks.

My Samsung Note 4 works well with DJI Go 4.
My Samsung Tab S 16GB 8.4 does NOT work with DJI or Litchi - severe graphics failures (see pictures for examples).
My wife's Samsung 16GB Tab A 9.7 works with DJI Go 4.
A new Samsung Tab E 8.0 did NOT work with DJI Go 4 (same type of graphics issue) and it went back to the store.
My new (as of yesterday) Apple iPad mini 4 128GB works with DJI Go 4. I just installed Litchi but have not flown with it yet but I expect it to work well too.

As you can see, I'm heavily invested in Samsung and hate to see that I'm having the problems I am. Now I have to learn how to work the iPad. :-(20170613_095922.jpg 20170613_095936.jpg 20170616_203727.jpg

I have an Android phone, but I fly with an iOS device. The only issue I have on the iOS device is the use of offline maps. Almost all of the flying I do is in a national forest or on remote BLM lands. I have no connection to the outside world and thus must use offline maps. On the iOS device this problematic at best. No issues on the Android devices as the app uses Google Maps which allows me to cache offline maps prior to going flying. This may not be an issues for you if you fly in areas with connectivity.

Hahaha I personally would love to hear apple-fanboys and android-fanboys debating over this topic, both sides are very creative its gonna be interesting ;)

Back to OP question,
Cost-wise i would prefer to fix the screen as 6s+ is still a very capable phone
And the rumors surrounding iphone 8 are quite tempting
Get a price quote first for the repair, then decide

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929