DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is 4K worth it?

Something no one has mentioned is the opportunity to "zoom" in up to two times on 4k footage scaled onto an HD timeline. This can give you significantly tighter shots at HD resolution, and you can zoom and pan during post-production.

Something no one has mentioned is the opportunity to "zoom" in up to two times on 4k footage scaled onto an HD timeline. This can give you significantly tighter shots at HD resolution, and you can zoom and pan during post-production.

That's funny, I was just about to say that. I had a happy accident last weekend with exactly that. My shot was to be a very low altitude shot of a small object on the beach (less than 2"), then zooming into the air with a speed ramp until it disappeared. I shot it in 4K without thinking about it even though the project would ultimately be 1080. I later noticed that there was a very slight wiggle back and forth from light wind that wasn't noticeable at slower speeds. I used After Effects to stabilize the footage, but the two big benefits of 4K were that 1. I was able to zoom a bit to hide the black edges that occur as the video moves around for stabilization, and 2. I was able to get closer to the subject in the original low altitude shot, increasing the overall effect.

Reactions: ArranEye
Best way to sum this is up - "Why Not?"

if you editing system can handle it, you should be using 4k to capture in. If your target is youtube even, upload in 4k, as 4k content gets more promotion than 1080p by youtube suggestions. Assuming you want more people to see your work.

Reactions: FMR
Today, I decided to shoot some video in 4K. I saw a lot of lag on my device during the flight. I wasn’t concerned as I recognized this as a device issue expected different results when playing back on a PC. Unfortunately, saw lots of lag on the playback. After researching it, I see this is a common issue depending on playback device, post processing, etc.

For a hobbyist not shooting professional commercials, is 4K world changing? I do want to shoot good video but again, it’s a hobby and not a career.

I’m curious how many shoot in 4K and how many are satisfied with a lower resolution.

Kinda think back when format standards went 720p to 1080p ...similar scenario.

Feel that as 4K becomes more widespread and more social medium run it you'll find it'll become natural to record in 4k.

Personally I record in 4K the replay on 4K TV or equivalent in Hardware is Mind Blowing.

Best way to sum this is up - "Why Not?"

if you editing system can handle it, you should be using 4k to capture in. If your target is youtube even, upload in 4k, as 4k content gets more promotion than 1080p by youtube suggestions. Assuming you want more people to see your work.

Totally agree YouTube are pushing 4K as the preferred viewing format **

Reactions: drone_video
For openers, 4K is 4x the resolution. It is very noticeable on 4K TVs, especially sitting close.

It allows 4x zoom and maintains 1080p quality.

It allows the zoom necessary to stabilize footage subject to ham fisted operation.

All of the discussions around this never describe the viewing distance and screen size. If your viewing distance and screen size don’t result in a pixel pair angle greater than 1degree you won’t notice any difference, as the human eye cannot resolve pixel pairs closer than 1 degree. If your screen sizeviewing distance yields 1080 p with a pixel pair separation of 2 degrees, the 4K image will appear twice as sharp.

The laws of physics and visual perception haven’t changed in hundreds of years. Understand your viewing situation before making judgements.

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
For openers, 4K is 4x the resolution. It is very noticeable on 4K TVs, especially sitting close.

It allows 4x zoom and maintains 1080p quality.

It allows the zoom necessary to stabilize footage subject to ham fisted operation.

All of the discussions around this never describe the viewing distance and screen size. If your viewing distance and screen size don’t result in a pixel pair angle greater than 1degree you won’t notice any difference, as the human eye cannot resolve pixel pairs closer than 1 degree. If your screen sizeviewing distance yields 1080 p with a pixel pair separation of 2 degrees, the 4K image will appear twice as sharp.

The laws of physics and visual perception haven’t changed in hundreds of years. Understand your viewing situation before making judgements.

Agree. I used to film in 4k but the amount of time and effort it takes in post even with optimized media just isn't worth it for my viewing audience.

Don't get me wrong I think everyone, myself included would like to prevent being out dated (look back at shows/sports recorded in the 90s. And even tho there's a noticeable difference between 4k and 1080 it's just not worth the work, things in 1080 still look amazing.

I've learned from these past couple of years it's truly about what you're trying to convey and content over actual video quality.

In the end I find 2.7k to be perfect. Keeps me treading with the other higher qualities if I really want to compile and edit some thing visually appealing with half of the labor and GPU. And stream to the controller in HD (1080) for the quick on the fly mobile edits

Today, I decided to shoot some video in 4K. I saw a lot of lag on my device during the flight. I wasn’t concerned as I recognized this as a device issue expected different results when playing back on a PC. Unfortunately, saw lots of lag on the playback. After researching it, I see this is a common issue depending on playback device, post processing, etc.

For a hobbyist not shooting professional commercials, is 4K world changing? I do want to shoot good video but again, it’s a hobby and not a career.

I’m curious how many shoot in 4K and how many are satisfied with a lower resolution.

I started out recording in 4k, but I couldn't deal with the lag. My iPad mini 4 wouldn't play it at all, and my laptop was extremely choppy during playback. Once uploaded to YouTube it all played back nicely though. I now record in 1080 60fps which plays great on all my devices. I tried out 1080 at the highest frame rate which is amazing quality but it extends the time signifagantly. I flew for about 15 minutes and playback was right around 32 minutes. I had to double the playback speed, but man it was fantastic

You are certainly right. Focusing on what is needed for a particular audience is always best.

My audiences are almost always watching quite close to a 4K display,with a good sound system, so it makes sense to use 4K.

It does require a beefy machine for post processing, but an iMac with a strong graphics chip handles the 4K DJI footage from both the Mavic Air and Phanton 3 4K without creating proxies. Creating HEVC release prints in 4K play just fine streaming at 18Mbps, or playing directly from a disk directly into the tv USB input works well.

Ive always shot 4K on mavic, iPhone and GoPro.

Had no problems editing on a 2013 MacBook Pro

Simple answer = who is your audience? My audience does not have 4k monitors or TV so anything above 1080 is a complete waste of my time and computing resources. If, however, a project is important enough moving into the future I'll shoot in higher res.

I do shoot 4k because I want maximum resolution files for commercial jobs.

2.7k is good also, but 1080 is terrible on the Mavic, due to aliasing. That is a shame because that is a sweet spot for resolution, performance and file size.

Give 2.7 a try and if things don't improve, give 720 a try if your device is being challenged and you don't need the resolution. For general web based work, etc. that just might suit your needs.

Hi. Just want to know why shooting in 2.7k or 720p be better than 1080p as far as "aliasing" is concerned?

Hi. Just want to know why shooting in 2.7k or 720p be better than 1080p as far as "aliasing" is concerned?
I’m not sure. I think it has to do with how the sensor architecture is utilized.

I’ve read past posts about how the pixels are utilized for different resolutions etc. (1080 seems to use the sensor in an ineffective way)

Someone with more technical expertise could explain it better.

Reactions: Balko

choosing your resolution and frame rate should be dependent on what you want to do with the footage. if you want to digitally zoom in without resolution loss, for a project that will eventually be in 1080 on facebook, then 4k is needed. if not, then maybe 1080 is fine. whether or not your editing computer works well with footage matters too. if it cant handle 4k, your decision is made easily. i've had film clients ask for 1080 only because the work flow and data management for 4k can be overwhelming, and sometimes its simply not necessary.

there's really no right answer till you know all the requirements, and where it's being outputted.

Reactions: Taylor1430
Thank you to everyone for the excellent responses. I spent this weekend out playing with different options. Not sure if its my age, but i an struggling to see a large difference with 4k. My thought is if just out flying around, the lower quality will work as i think this still looks great. For those must have moments, 4k would be the way to go and can process down from there if need by. Ill continue to play with the 4k. Space isnt an issue for what i do, just the post processing part has been an issue.
But that is the the hook for me always using 4k.... When do I know when a special moment will happen? I do dump a lot of it sooner then later but what if... and I missed it.

But that is the the hook for me always using 4k.... When do I know when a special moment will happen? I do dump a lot of it sooner then later but what if... and I missed it.
In the OPs defense, I don't think the defining factor for great footage, is whether or not it was shot in 4k. If he is shooting great quality subject matter and using good technique it'll still be great footage, just at a little lower resolution.

That said, I shoot 4k to maximize the capabilities of the Mavic, and for future proofing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13