DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is DJI Fly App Necessary?

kashifs

Reactions
DJI Fly App on my Samsung A8 suddenly stopped during the flight last night. I was watching the drone and trying to track it by the blinking light when I saw back to the RC and phone; the app was closed and the phone was about to lock just as it does in normal idle condition, and locked. For few seconds I couldn't figure out what happened and why the phone is locked. I unlocked it and found the app was not running. I failed to react to this situation and was wondering how would I catch my 3 days old M2, falling from 200ft in the night sky ;) Then I started the app again, it showed the main screen. I connected to the aircraft by connection button and after few seconds it showed me the current altitude. I just pulled the left stick downwards to ground it ASAP and fortunately was able to do so. This incident, especially a day after the birds (unnecessarily) threatened my M2, brings a lot of questions in my mind which I want to pose in front of this expert forum:

1. Is there a connection between the aircraft and the remote controller, independent of the app?

2. What is the SOP if the app stops; crashes; phone's OS crashes; phone is off (other than charging reasons) to control the bird using RC only?

3. When I unpacked the package and tried to install the DJI Fly App on my Samsung A8, it wasn't there on the Google Play Store. I had to go to the DJI website to download the app directly from there. It is version 1.3.0. Is this linked to the problem?

4. Am I using the right App version for my Mini 2?

Thank again for your time and answering a week's old PILOT.

Kashif Siddiqui

Last edited:
Reactions: Jam0ne
None of your images work.
Aircraft works fine if the app crashes, and you have the correct version.

Reactions: kashifs
1. Is there a connection between the aircraft and the remote controller, independent of the app?

2. What is the SOP if the app stops; crashes; phone's OS crashes; phone is off (other than charging reasons) to control the bird using RC only?
Some additional info relevant to these questions:
1) The AC connection is with RC, not the phone.
2) You can still "fly" without a (working) phone, but you obviously have no video/info available...so flying within VLOS is critical given that situation. In addition, I have literally "re-booted" the app during flight (while the AC hovers) and regained use of the phone; the key is not to panic and know your options.

2) You can still "fly" without a (working) phone, but you obviously have no video/info available...so flying within VLOS is critical given that situation. In addition, I have literally "re-booted" the app during flight (while the AC hovers) and regained use of the phone; the key is not to panic and know your options.
Thanks. Is app version 1.3 the right version? I have recently seen on the forum that everyone talks about v 1.2.

Wow, this is why love this forum. I know that I do not know what I do not know! So, if the phone dies, the app stops just "fly the drone" since the RC is what is controlling the drone. Never thought of it and it will be comforting if the app ever dies or there are phone issues. As a manned airplane pilot I have had odd things happen like losing all electrical over Philly obviously in Class B airspace. Unmanned or manned "fly the plane first". Again, your info was a "duh I did not think of that moment". Thanks

Thanks. Is app version 1.3 the right version? I have recently seen on the forum that everyone talks about v 1.2.
App version is (mostly) irrelevant: use whatever version is the latest.
Tip: I don't generally update the firmware in the AC/RC unless you are having "problems" (if it ain't broke don't fix it). DJI doesn't do a good job of regression testing, so eventually they may get to a (newer) app version that doesn't work well with an (older) firmware version...at which point you may be forced to update firmware. YMMV.

I am currently using Firmware .700 with DJI GO 4 App 413.....
I fly here and I fly there....I fly soo very high that far into the sky...
Theres way too many restrictions on the latest firmware when flying your drone that limits its potential...

I am currently using Firmware .700 with DJI GO 4 App 413.....
I fly here and I fly there....I fly soo very high that far into the sky...
Theres way too many restrictions on the latest firmware when flying your drone that limits its potential...
Define "I fly soo very high". What restrictions limit its potential? Curious...

Define "I fly soo very high". What restrictions limit its potential? Curious...
Altitude...Speed....and a bunch of other stuff...
For example.....I can modify my Mavic Pro's internal file and edit values of how high I want it to go...speed.....I can modify the file in ways of how I want to fly...
With all the new firmware updates they are tightening what you can and can not do with your drone..
I like to be in control of what I can and can't do with my drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00