DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is DJI making a profit from Care Refresh?

kevguy

Reactions
Do you think DJI is making money on Care Refresh? I would have to say yes as they continue to offer the service plus you still have to pay some moneys.

Do you think DJI is making money on Care Refresh? I would have to say yes as they continue to offer the service plus you still have to pay some moneys.
Like all businesses, they are in business to make money. So, yes indeed they are. Otherwise, they would get out of the business :)

Do you think DJI is making money on Care Refresh?
Yes, I think all companies that are still in the business of selling insurance are making money.

I would have to say yes as they continue to offer the service plus you still have to pay some moneys
Indeed. But, the real secret behind insurance (maybe not so secretive?) is that most customers never make a claim.

Peace of mind has its costs.
And the folks at DJI have a rather large suitcase to transfer all that money to their local banking institution.
(I’m not a participant)

Reactions: MS Coast
Like all businesses, they are in business to make money. So, yes indeed they are. Otherwise, they would get out of the business :)
All insurance and warranty services are in business to make money just like all other businesses. The insurance and warranty company is the house. They bet that you won't have a claim, and you're the player and you bet that you will and need them. The house always wins in the long run until they quit making as much as they want then they shut down after rate increases. I've used them twice, so I'm ahead the game so far! Just like my homeowners insurance in FL!

Reactions: 3rdof5 and Torque
Lol, sorry to chuckle at that question, but based on the new selling price of their aircraft, it's my guess that even if they lose money with care refresh, they are are still well in the plus side...

Reactions: Torque
Lol, sorry to chuckle at that question, but based on the new selling price of their aircraft, it's my guess that even if they lose money with care refresh, they are are still well in the plus side...
I’m not sure if that matters…if a business has an area that is chewing into profits (losing money) that area is usually sold off or shut down.

Five previous drones. No claim. Sixth is a Mavic 3 Pro. Catastrophic bird strike just triggered a claim. They honored with no fuss. Glad I took the insurance. Sure I'm behind money-wise, but peace of mind is worth something.

Reactions: Torque and 3rdof5
Why wouldn't they want to? At the very least, they're going to make sure they don't lose money on Refresh. Simple business philosophy.

They wouldn't do it if they weren't. Just like extended warranty on... anything. They don't do it to lose money. That's how any insurance works.

Reactions: anotherlab
They aren't from me. Interesting story regarding my Mavic 3 Refresh Claim-

So, long story short, I was flying in downtown Chicago taking some cityscape pics when out of the blue, something happened. I was well clear of any structures at about 200ft up when the camera/gimble suddenly shook violently like something hit it. I attempted to fly the drone back, but something kept fighting it. All of a sudden it disconnected from the remote never to be seen again. There's more details, but this is out of the scope of the story.

I knew not having the drone(even with the Refresh Plan), I didnt have much to stand one, but I at least wanted an answer as to what happened, so I collected the flight data off the remote and opened a case with DJI. A day later, I received an email from DJI wanting $500. to replace the drone under a flyaway claim. When I questioned what caused the malfunction, they said that if I'd like, they can perform a free crash analysis to determine the cause. I then questioned why they came to me requiring money even before the analysis and that YES, I would like that done! 2 days later, I got another email informing me that my Mavic 3 will be replaced as the malfunction falls under warranty.

So obviously I'm ecstatic over the change of events and getting my drone replaced at no charged, but WTF just happened happened??? I portrayed everything truthfully in my claim and was not looking for anything free, I just wanted to know what happened, then expressed my disappointment at being asked for money before any analysis was performed. My situation resolved favorably, but I'm not quite sure how to feel about it to be honest.

Reactions: Torque
They aren't from me. Interesting story regarding my Mavic 3 Refresh Claim-

So, long story short, I was flying in downtown Chicago taking some cityscape pics when out of the blue, something happened. I was well clear of any structures at about 200ft up when the camera/gimble suddenly shook violently like something hit it. I attempted to fly the drone back, but something kept fighting it. All of a sudden it disconnected from the remote never to be seen again. There's more details, but this is out of the scope of the story.

I knew not having the drone(even with the Refresh Plan), I didnt have much to stand one, but I at least wanted an answer as to what happened, so I collected the flight data off the remote and opened a case with DJI. A day later, I received an email from DJI wanting $500. to replace the drone under a flyaway claim. When I questioned what caused the malfunction, they said that if I'd like, they can perform a free crash analysis to determine the cause. I then questioned why they came to me requiring money even before the analysis and that YES, I would like that done! 2 days later, I got another email informing me that my Mavic 3 will be replaced as the malfunction falls under warranty.

So obviously I'm ecstatic over the change of events and getting my drone replaced at no charged, but WTF just happened happened??? I portrayed everything truthfully in my claim and was not looking for anything free, I just wanted to know what happened, then expressed my disappointment at being asked for money before any analysis was performed. My situation resolved favorably, but I'm not quite sure how to feel about it to be honest.
Interesting story.

When an insurance plan loses money, it gets dropped or the rates go up. Like any insurance policy, they count on most of the subscribers never filing a claim.

When I bought my Mavic 2, I signed up for the Care plan. I had it for two years, and never needed to file a claim. DJI came ahead on that one. But the money I paid to help cover someone else who lost their drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas