DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is everybody happy with their SC?

You make a screen larger and maintain the same aspect ratio, it gets larger diagonally, which means it will get wider AND taller. Since the SC has no bezel left to eliminate at the bottom edge of the screen your idea not only makes the unit wider, it makes it taller. The entire thing gets significantly bigger, 1-1.5" wider and taller is A TON in a device this size. Look, I'm not saying it wouldn't be an amazing device but there are both ergonomic (there is some limit to size and weight in what would be comfortable for an integrated screen) and portability concerns (this is huge, it wouldn't fit in the fly more bag anymore for sure) and there would be huge trade offs for many current users who view the Mavic 2 series as the ultimate in portable drone.
Not unless they already purchased an SC. If they own a case that can accommodate a CS then they’d be good to go. Glad for those who are happy with the current SC, and I do like many of the features. Just my opinion on size as I would have no problem with visibility of info, and it would fit in the same place my CS does. Not trying to convince anyone... except DJI. ;)

Not unless they already purchased an SC. If they own a case that can accommodate a CS then they’d be good to go. Glad for those who are happy with the current SC, and I do like many of the features. Just my opinion on size as I would have no problem with visibility of info, and it would fit in the same place my CS does. Not trying to convince anyone... except DJI. ;)

I totally agree and in an ideal world they could offer two sizes, like iPhone offers a "Max" size. I just think DJI calculated this size would be most popular and I suspect they are right. Hopefully in the future the "lineup" can expand but step one to help that would be getting the price more under control.

I have been a n avid iPad mini4 user since my Phantom 3 Pro. I later used the mini with my Spark, and then with the Mavic 2 Zoom with MavMount system. The initial $650 was a barrier for me to jump to the SC. However, I managed to find an upgrade path (with trade & cash) of my standard controller with another Mavic 2 owner who simply tried it and wanted to go back to standard controller. I have not looked back since. This was right at the time when the SC price was hiked up to $750.

The overall convenience is pretty sweet. I still have my iPad mini4 64GB that I can use to review flight data or with my other DJI gear.

I agree backwards compatibility with P3P, P4P, Spark, other Mavics and so forth seems to be a no-brainer on surface and would help others justify the switch - maybe one day as a pipe dream. I do understand Ocusync 2 is newer and unsupported by other platforms, however the Smart Controller's wireless hardware could likely revert to previous protocols via software if DJI wanted to take time to do it - but likely not going to happen as there's little to no money in those software tasks with much higher priorities on the table for DJI Engineers.

Reactions: EasyV
no mater how you look at it (the SC) it would be so much better even if it came with just a 6"+ screen. even just 6" would be better and would had fit in the same size controller if the bezel was smaller. face it... the screen is small and it makes it harder to change settings etc...
Interesting - what problem are you having negotiating the screen on yours specifically?

I'm going to disagree with you on that issue. I have absolutely no problem at all negotiating the screen. It's incredibly responsive. It is actually the perfect size for me. If it were available in a larger size I wouldn't want it. The whole reason I wanted it was because it was all-in-one, had a bright screen, small enough to go in the fly-more bag and kept me from burning through the battery on my phone. This thing is all that and then some. DJI nailed it on the SC. I only have one complaint, there should be a better solution to mount a lanyard.

I have *no* problem with the idea of a bigger screen but not at the cost of the SC being even larger than it currently is. Right now it fits in the hand very well (its solid and feels very weighty) yet still packs up to a size that fits the Fly More bag without issue. The moment I have to start carrying a separate case just for the controller etc. then for me it has gotten too large.
100% agree with this. I love the SC. Won't go back to carrying cables, cords, extra device batteries or secondary device adapters again. I don't mind having all that stuff when I am shooting locally, I can just put it all in the car and carry it with me but.. when I'm on a cruise or travelling I really dislike needing to assemble the TX and device and or ensure two devices are charged. It's just more garbage to carry. Yuck! In the Bahamas I completely burned through the battery on my phone flying. Left the ship at around 0700 went to the beach shot video/photos with the iphone.. then decided to fly. When I was done the battery was almost completely depleted. Decided that my setup was not ideal for travel. SC is a perfect fit for me. I have no regrets getting it.

Reactions: EasyV and RogerMav
Not unless they already purchased an SC. If they own a case that can accommodate a CS then they’d be good to go.

I see your point. If you already have a case that fits your Mavic, Extra MP Batteries, dumb controller, CS, CS batteries, Cables, CS mount and the charger then you already have a working setup.

For me that would not work. I wanted a brighter screen that would fit in the flymore bag. There was no solution other than the SC for me and it was cheaper than buying the Mavic 2 and a CS. So now I have Mavic 2, filters, 3 batteries, extra props, SC and a charger in the flymore murse. Fits without a struggle. Perfect for on the go travel which I do fairly often.

The funny thing is when my Mavic 2 was ordered I came here and everyone was advising that they were having issues with the SC. So I went on fleabay and picked up a used dumb controller. I don't even know if that thing works. I have never paired it with the M2 to fly. I did use it to fly on the simulator though so I guess it does work. Think I am going to sell it. I've had it a few months and it has never left the apartment.

Reactions: EasyV
Interesting - what problem are you having negotiating the screen on yours specifically?

I'm going to disagree with you on that issue. I have absolutely no problem at all negotiating the screen. It's incredibly responsive. It is actually the perfect size for me. If it were available in a larger size I wouldn't want it. The whole reason I wanted it was because it was all-in-one, had a bright screen, small enough to go in the fly-more bag and kept me from burning through the battery on my phone. This thing is all that and then some. DJI nailed it on the SC. I only have one complaint, there should be a better solution to mount a lanyard.

thank you for your reply. wasn't sure about the negotiating because I have only used an iphone 6 compared to an ipad 9.7" and found the iphone 6 hard to negotiate because everything is so small like I would expect would be the same as the SC.

wasn't sure about the negotiating because I have only used an iphone 6 compared to an ipad 9.7" and found the iphone 6 hard to negotiate because everything is so small like I would expect would be the same as the SC.

I used an iPhone X with my Mavic it was ok. The problem I had was the device holders got in the way of the button and covered up part of the screen. I have not had any issues with the SC.

I did the smart controller just for the ease of being able to run out quickly boot everything up and not have to worry about all these different things. With the wifi back to the phone and dedicated comms channels to the AC I'm more happy with the performance than with my phone as well.

I can't imagine going back to the original controller after having the Smart Controller. It's SO MUCH BETTER in every aspect. BRIGHTER by a mile than my iPhone, PLUS I don't have to worry about the battery in my phone being drained. It really is not a comparison. You're going to love it versus the original controller.

Reactions: RogerMav and ff22
Does Polarpro make a screen visor? I see one from PGY but not Polar, perhaps I'm missing it. Thanks.
Let me know if you see a PP sun shade, Ive been looking and wound up with the rubber cover/shade thingy from PGY and I’m not happy with it, the shade doesn’t extend high enough for my liking. Still better than others I’ve tried that have thumb screws that go in to the lanyard screw holes and doesn’t give you a way to still use it as a lanyard holder. Instead, its a cheesy way to attach the shade and that’s it. Forgot who made that one, but it might be PGY too.

I’ve bought the SC with a M2P package a couple of mths ago. The design is amazing and it’s super convenient. But I had a couple of annoying problems, I’d be curious to know if others experienced the same.
1. The Home Point on the map disappears when I add the satellite overlay in the map view window. If I close the App & reopen it the H is visible on the regular map. I find this disturbing, I like to see that H when glancing at the map.
2. The Go 4 shuts down occasionally. I’m watching the M2P, look down and it’s displaying the view before entering the Go4 App. It doesn’t affect the control but you have to launch the App again.
I snagged this with DJI, sent in the logs and the eventually they replaced it but neither issue has gone away.

Got bundled mine with the MP2 and the single thing that made it worth the money for me was the brightness of the screen. It is so much better than either an iPhone 7 or iPad 2018 edition.

Reactions: RogerMav
I just took the plunge and it should be delivered today.

Coming from a CS 7 inch.... want to carry less stuff in a smaller footprint....
Actually, I don't really like mine. It's bright, yes, and may have other virtues, but I often have to tap many times on the screen to get it to resopond, and sometimes I can't get the sliders to move without similar difficulty. It seems sluggish to respond and moving things around on the screen, well the movments seem jerky compared to a YouTube video I saw of somebody using an iPad to set up a mission in Waypoints 2.0. Speaking of waypoints 2.0 the waypoints disappear and reappear when zooming after changing map view.

I've had two of these now with updated firmware and GO4 and they both behave the same. I'm hoping its GO4 or the firmware and that fixes will be coming and that its not the SC.

I actually have very similar issues as you with the touches and stuff. It's annoying for sure but I still absolutely love the SC setup much more than my iPhone and regular controller.

One thing that gets me is the SC has no problem playing 4k video from the SD card but my 2015 Macbook Pro can't playback at all without being choppy until final rendering.
Actually, I don't really like mine. It's bright, yes, and may have other virtues, but I often have to tap many times on the screen to get it to resopond, and sometimes I can't get the sliders to move without similar difficulty. It seems sluggish to respond and moving things around on the screen, well the movments seem jerky compared to a YouTube video I saw of somebody using an iPad to set up a mission in Waypoints 2.0. Speaking of waypoints 2.0 the waypoints disappear and reappear when zooming after changing map view.

I've had two of these now with updated firmware and GO4 and they both behave the same. I'm hoping its GO4 or the firmware and that fixes will be coming and that its not the SC.

I think that I'd return it/them until you get one that works correctly. Or you try try some experiments - how does it act if you bring up the browser or file manager? Do those apps respond to touch correctly? There's also a good thread on installing the Google Play store and component modules. If you did install that, you could download a number of other Android apps and also see how those respond to touch. But mine seems to work fine with the Go app, so I don't think it is related to the app.

Good luck.

Holding off. Love the convenience, but it needs a model with a 7.85” screen IMHO.

Well if you're feeling REALLY froggy, Lifthor sells a monitor bracket for the SC and you can get a decent 8-10 monitor for under $200. Total investment, approximately $300.

I'm considering this setup as it would still keep the small form factor for everyday, quick shots and allow me the opportunity to use a larger screen when necessary.

Besides, if the price scares you now, just consider what it'll be with a 7.85" Crystalsky screen installed! If they keep the same ratio, it'll fall into the $1000 zone easily. Plus it'll be a much larger unit that won't fit into the Fly Mode Combo bag or Mavic 2 Protector case.

Appreciate the suggestions @Lon Denard
I currently fly my M2P with the CS on a PolarPro mount. So screen size is OK now. Not worried about the case as it would fit in my GoPro case where I carry my CS now. I don’t have a protector case and use the Flymore case to carry extra equipment. Just looking for the convenience of a single module, but want the 7.85 screen. So I’ll wait and see what happens. It does occur to me that the extra size might allow the electronics for extra features too.

Well, that all depends, doesn't it? ;)
I'm a guy not even having a car, that absolutely love the minimal approach of the Mavic.
Folds down so compactly, SC has good ratio between screen size, portability and haptics. I put everything in my Lowepro 180 AW II and there would be still some space left even with 4 batteries in total. Take my bag and cycle through the landscape with not more than 2,5 kg.

I've travelled with my DSLR in a camera backpack and tripod with more than 10 kg globally and eventhough it's a very good quality you can get as a result, it is so pleasent to roam around with the M2P, the SC and some accessories in this compact format and achieving such good quality.

I wouldn't mind if there would be a SC with a larger diagonal screen, but I certainly like the size it has now as @Horsefly pointed out and would not buy another unless the resolution gets a bump.
Can you post a pic of how you have your Lowepro 180 AW II laid out?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters