DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is Flushing Meadows-Corona Park a NFZ?

Yiorgaks

Reactions
Has anyone here brought their drone to NYC before? Any idea what the deal is with their NFZ rules? From what I found on Google, there are five public parks in the city with designated model aircraft fly areas however the designated one I want to fly at, Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, is well within a NFZ due to its proximity to LGA. Any idea what is up with that?

Thanks!

Someone here recently posted that he has flown there. It surprised me too, being so close to LGA.

It was me. Back-to-back weekends. The first time I had to answer some questions and receive a code via text and enter code on Go 4 app and I was good to go. Second time just one screen , checked off the boxes stating I would fly safely, etc, and I was good to go. There was also someone flying a Mavic Air (visiting from Germany) who I spoke to afterwards who told me they did not encounter any pre-flight authorization screens.

Bump, anyone have an update on this?
Close proximity to LGA but legal
I personally thought a person had to be a member of the AMA to fly there but regardless it’s a designated legal area to fly at.

Thank you both for the responses - the rules for this particular park are quite confusing due to the conflicting laws at the federal level and municipal level. I'm going to pack my drone with me for my trip and send it up to snap a few shots.

On a slightly related note - is there any good scenery to capture there by drone? Is it possible to see the Manhattan skyline from the park?

The skyline is way in the distance and very small in the YT videos I have seen where the flyer tried to capture it from that park. Of course, there are other videos shot on the Brooklyn side of the East River , near the Brooklyn Bridge, for instance, where you can obviously capture the Manhattan skyline.

Reactions: Carb63
The skyline is way in the distance and very small in the YT videos I have seen where the flyer tried to capture it from that park. Of course, there are other videos shot on the Brooklyn side of the East River , near the Brooklyn Bridge, for instance, where you can obviously capture the Manhattan skyline.
That sounds more up my ally. Where's the spot in Brookyln you are referring to?

Reactions: Slim.slamma
Where in Flushing Meadows Park can you fly your drone? Is it the entire park or a certain area?

Yes this is true. I capture a few 2 years ago. Brooklyn side. Low though, there are many helicopters that fly by. Although, due to recent accidents lately , flights are being scrutinized for the pilots there flying helicopters near or over the city.

Just so you're aware (and I'm not saying it's correct) it is illegal to fly a drone anywhere in the five boroughs except for a couple designated areas with AMA fields. Flushing Meadow Park just happens to have one of the fields, Queens Flying Club or something similar. You'll have to get permission from the club to fly there.
Good luck with that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13