DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it a correct behaviour of Mavic Air 2? Not maintaing it's height above the ground and no forward obstacle detection

AlexD

Reactions
Hello everyone.
Yesterday I took my new purchased drone to the bike trip and tested it in different flight modes. When I was testing the ND16 filter and was flying in normal (not sport) mode my drone crashed into the grass.
Here is the video:
I agree that I should had stopped earlier or had to increase its altitude. But I expected it to stop as my old Mavic Pro would do.
I wonder if this was normal behaviour or sensor/software glitch?
As I said before that was absolutely normal flight, no sport mode, no active tracking

p.s. Drone is okay, I only had to clean ND filter.

Got to agree with Ice_2k The sensors are really only good for solid objects, grass, trees & wire fences are an accident waiting to happen if you rely on the sensors.
You should never rely on the sensors to avoid a crash, they are a fail-safe that can sometimes get you out of trouble due to pilot error that is all.

Reactions: Rchawks and AlexD
stuff like tall grass, like tree branches, are very problematic for sensors to pick up because of their small surface area...
I agree that a single tree branch or a single straw may be promlematic to detect. But dense grass field imho should be detectable. It's not asphalt road or a wall, but this is also a normal usage pattern and imho such detections should work.

You say yourself
“I agree that I should had stopped earlier or had to increase its altitude “

That's why I gave the advice
“never rely on the sensors to avoid a crash, they are a fail-safe that can sometimes get you out of trouble due to pilot error that is all. “

I agree that a single tree branch or a single straw may be promlematic to detect. But dense grass field imho should be detectable. It's not asphalt road or a wall, but this is also a normal usage pattern and imho such detections should work.
Keep in mind the sensors are "firing" at that grass from top to bottom. It doesn't matter that looking at it from your perspective it seems like a solid object, when looking at it from top to bottom, the chances of them seeing a piece of grass are slim at best, the empty spaces between the grass pieces are much larger.

Please read the manual. This is explained.

You were relying on the sensors at the bottom to tell the height of the craft. The infrared sensor may not be effective because the tip of the grass is unlikely to be reflecting the infrared light upward. The stero camera is unlikely to be able to tell the height because the image is changing fast due to the high speed. If the speed is low, the drone should bounce up by itself when it gets too close to the grass. At least my M2P and Mini do.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexD
You were relying on the sensors at the bottom to tell the height of the craft. The infrared sensor may not be effective because the tip of the grass is unlikely to be reflecting the infrared light upward. The stero camera is unlikely to be able to tell the height because the image is changing fast due to the high speed. If the speed is low, the drone should bounce up by itself when it gets too close to the grass. At least my M2P and Mini do.
Exactly. That's what I expected from the copter. My old Mavic Pro did that

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329