DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it better to have aftermarket landing gear?

Prefer the leg extensions, even with a hoodman landing pad. Just like having the drone up a bit. Polar Pro is what I use on my M2. Only issue is with the front extensions. They are easy to open and lock into place, but you have to be careful (at least I do on 2 different sets) when closing them. Leg of M2 is very thin and it takes a bit of force to start the front legs to close. I place my thumb at the pivot point to help take pressure off just the drone leg.

Don't think that they add enough weight to cost any flight time, might be adding wind resistance which would cause battery drain.

Paul C

Reactions: ff22
Prefer the leg extensions, even with a hoodman landing pad. Just like having the drone up a bit. Polar Pro is what I use on my M2. Only issue is with the front extensions. They are easy to open and lock into place, but you have to be careful (at least I do on 2 different sets) when closing them. Leg of M2 is very thin and it takes a bit of force to start the front legs to close. I place my thumb at the pivot point to help take pressure off just the drone leg.

Don't think that they add enough weight to cost any flight time, might be adding wind resistance which would cause battery drain.

Paul C
I have noticed no difference in my M2P with the PP landing gear in reference to flight characteristics/time. I also take the precaution you mention.

I just do a hand-launch/landing, its much quicker and saves money on landing pads/legs and means you can takeoff/land anywhere

Just placed an order for the arris raptor 2 skids and floats....

I use the Arris Raptor Skids, because if you want pontoons for flying over water, the pontoons are easy to clip on or remove. Or, just the feeling of more distance between grass and dirt. Also, if you want to add tracking devices, or other cameras you have room to attach them to the skids. Plus, hand holding while not flying indoors, easy to use. The skids conveniently fit on the small bag which came with my Mavic Pro. These Skids have a multi purpose use, not just for one thing.

Reactions: Thomas B
I use the Arris Raptor Skids, because if you want pontoons for flying over water, the pontoons are easy to clip on or remove. Or, just the feeling of more distance between grass and dirt. Also, if you want to add tracking devices, or other cameras you have room to attach them to the skids. Plus, hand holding while not flying indoors, easy to use. The skids conveniently fit on the small bag which came with my Mavic Pro. These Skids have a multi purpose use, not just for one thing.
I can hardly wait until they are released for the Mavic 2. I have them for my MPP and love them!

Lookup "hand catch drone" on youtube for many instructional videos... ?

I always takeoff from the closed upper-lid of my case, and I always hand catch. These things are little dust fans, and avoiding dust will put less stress on the inner cooling fan and the motors.

I have found that the front leg extensions crack the the mavics legs over time right where the leg screws on!! If your don't mind changing them out at some point then go for it.

I used to hand catch my drone. Probably did it about 80 times and then one time when I was catching it in calm winds doing the same thing I did every time it wobbled and nearly took my pinky off. No stitches but put three solid cuts in my hand that bled steady forever. Now I’m back to the old ways unless over sand.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I used to hand catch my drone. Probably did it about 80 times and then one time when I was catching it in calm winds doing the same thing I did every time it wobbled and nearly took my pinky off. No stitches but put three solid cuts in my hand that bled steady forever. Now I’m back to the old ways unless over sand.

I feel you, got cut across the wrist few weeks back and made my own blood sacrafice
to the rocks of the lake. So invented this design and never looked back.

Check out the New Lunar Landing Pad :
Changes how you think of hand catching.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54