DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it me or is 24 fps completely awful and unusable?

Black Mama

Reactions
I tried 24 fps yesterday for the first time in a year and was shocked at how bad it is. People told me that it'd be more "cinematic" but I just see missing frames. It's far from smooth and I don't know why it's even an option on the Mavic.

Reactions: charliesRig
What is your shutter speed? That makes a difference.

Reactions: charliesRig
And your playback device, and the speed of your motion...

When you shoot 24p you need to film appropriately for 24p.

punchline?

No punchline, it's a real question.

I hadn't thought about shutter speed, it might have been the cause of my problems. I'll try later with appropriate shutter speed and see if it fixes my issues.
Are you using ND filters?

I would recommend getting a kit that includes a 28 nd filter. you'll need it on bright days, and most kits only go up to 14 which hits it limit on overcast days. Your shutter speed should be roughly twice your frame rate. Best results by far are shooting in manual mode, just like with true photography. Once you get used to it, you will quickly hit a few buttons and get it set. It's not a hassle, it's you bonding and taking full advantage of your machine. I'm also not a big fan of polarized filters. They are fiddly to get adjusted right, and have a very narrow effective angle. If you shoot a lot of video over water, it can be useful, otherwise I'd recommend getting just regular quality ND filters. Also, I'd carefully read the reviews. Many cheaper ones are too heavy, cause gimbal calibration issues, and can be really hard to remove. I had a cheaper set that was very heard to remove, and I always worried about breaking the gimbal, even though I had a tight grip on the barrel as I tried to take it off. Polar Pro is good, but they tend to include polarized filters, and if they aren't adjusted perfectly, they can make cloud and sunset video look less appealing. Davinci Resolve is a great free program that will serve you well. You tube videos will help you get up to speed, and I think you will really enjoy just how nice you can make your video's look. If you've seen some of the MP video's uploaded here, you know just how spectacular the video quality can be. In the end, I think you will come to appreciate your MP more and more.

Regards,

Kevin

I also tend to shoot at the next lower 4k setting with 30fps. You can also slow down your pan speed in cinematic mode. Slow rotation from side to side is the key to smooth video. You can speed it up if you want with a video editor, and it'll be smooth as glass. 4k at 60fps would help a great deal, but that seems to be a ways off. You may already know this, but the lower the ISO setting, the greater the camera's dynamic range (ability to capture bright and dark areas) with better color and less graininess, or in our case less of an over processed look.

I tried 24 fps yesterday for the first time in a year and was shocked at how bad it is. People told me that it'd be more "cinematic" but I just see missing frames. It's far from smooth and I don't know why it's even an option on the Mavic.

.Got to ask what SD card your using.?

I would recommend getting a kit that includes a 28 nd filter. you'll need it on bright days, and most kits only go up to 14 which hits it limit on overcast days. Your shutter speed should be roughly twice your frame rate. Best results by far are shooting in manual mode, just like with true photography. Once you get used to it, you will quickly hit a few buttons and get it set. It's not a hassle, it's you bonding and taking full advantage of your machine. I'm also not a big fan of polarized filters. They are fiddly to get adjusted right, and have a very narrow effective angle. If you shoot a lot of video over water, it can be useful, otherwise I'd recommend getting just regular quality ND filters. Also, I'd carefully read the reviews. Many cheaper ones are too heavy, cause gimbal calibration issues, and can be really hard to remove. I had a cheaper set that was very heard to remove, and I always worried about breaking the gimbal, even though I had a tight grip on the barrel as I tried to take it off. Polar Pro is good, but they tend to include polarized filters, and if they aren't adjusted perfectly, they can make cloud and sunset video look less appealing. Davinci Resolve is a great free program that will serve you well. You tube videos will help you get up to speed, and I think you will really enjoy just how nice you can make your video's look. If you've seen some of the MP video's uploaded here, you know just how spectacular the video quality can be. In the end, I think you will come to appreciate your MP more and more.

Regards,

Kevin

Thank you for the tips!

Yes agree 24fps Blows
Why I shoot in 4K 24fps....... Because you can pull very decent shots on the fly
..........cR

24FPS is fine, however you need to understand how to use it both from an exposure management perspective as well as flight control. If you're hotdogging around, it'll never look good.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
No punchline, it's a real question.

I hadn't thought about shutter speed, it might have been the cause of my problems. I'll try later with appropriate shutter speed and see if it fixes my issues.
Aww, I'm disappointed, I thought we were in for another lol after your P mode/S mode question

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb