DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it possible for the DJI Ground Station app to crash my drone due to bad connection?

Legitimacy

Reactions
As the title says. There's a really good place to take off which is very close to where I live. Barely anyone goes there, there's a flat concrete area to take off from and there's a bench to sit my lazy *** down :)

The only thing I have to worry about is that there are hills surrounding the area. This is good to prevent wind but if I go out too far, the connection can stutter and it's nerve racking. I was wondering what would happen if my connection got low while using the ground station app. Is it possible for the drone to crash if it got bad?

I am probably just being paranoid but worrying is a good thing when I'm using such an expensive piece of kit. Thanks for reading, any help is appreciated!

Avoid taking off from the concrete pad area, there will be rebar.
Investigate the Litchi app.

First off - If you are not in California. Call Statefarm and insure your drone with a personal articles policy that will cost you $5.00 a month. You dont have to be a current client nor have anything else insured with them.

OK- That will give you a little more piece of mind.

Yes the DJI Ground station could potentially crash your drone. Here's a scenario I envision that could be possible. You fly your mission and then get close to surrounding hillsides and obstacles. The remote looses connection briefly , but not so long that the Automatic Return to Home is engaged. You panic and click into Sport more to overide the Ground Control Mission and stop the mission quickly. You inadvertently regain control of the craft and think you are flying towards yourself and the home point and instead you are flying away and crash the drone into a hillside.

Did Ground Station crash your drone directly? No. Did a panicked operator take over and make errors in judgement - YES. Does it happen? Absolutely.

Here is something else you may not know. Lichti (which is a paid for app- choose your platform carefully as there is a cost for both the IOs version and the Android Version) also allows you to plan and fly autonomous drone missions either online via thier Hub or from the app itself if you have internet capabilities and connection. Now whats really great is you can pre fly these missions on your computer after creating them in Google Earth. That way you can check things like elevation, distance from obstacles, direction of drone flight, direction of camera , etc.

There is a free tool that allows this that was created by a forum member that allows the preflight through Google Earth and its called Lichti Mission Planner (can be found with search of the forum).

Preflying ones mission is just another way to help minimize the risks.

Reactions: FRUIN
I'm not going to use litchi. I bought DJI Care Refresh but it won't cover my drone damage if some other random company is responsible. I'd rather use the official software from the company which made the drone anyway.

Reactions: mavin
As the title says. There's a really good place to take off which is very close to where I live. Barely anyone goes there, there's a flat concrete area to take off from and there's a bench to sit my lazy *** down :)

The only thing I have to worry about is that there are hills surrounding the area. This is good to prevent wind but if I go out too far, the connection can stutter and it's nerve racking. I was wondering what would happen if my connection got low while using the ground station app. Is it possible for the drone to crash if it got bad?

I am probably just being paranoid but worrying is a good thing when I'm using such an expensive piece of kit. Thanks for reading, any help is appreciated!

Is your drone on the approved list of drones, controllers and camera that the GS Pro app will run on?
COMPATIBLE PRODUCTS
GS Pro is compatible with the following DJI aerial platforms and flight controllers? Only asking since you are on the Mavic Pilot page, and the Mavic is not supported with the GS Pro app

Phantom 3 Standard/4K/Advanced/Professional, Phantom 4/Pro/Advanced, Inspire 1/Inspire 2Matrice 100/600/600 Pro/200, A3, N3
Compatible cameras: Phantom 3 Standard/4K/Advanced/Professional, Phantom 4/Pro, andZenmuse X3, X5, X5R, X4S, X5S, Z3, Z30, and XT.

Sorry, but the GS Pro app is compatible with the Mavic and works fine, here is the fine print

53a44f44ce05161ab1beecb22de94e2d.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Legitimacy
Sorry, but the GS Pro app is compatible with the Mavic and works fine, here is the fine print

53a44f44ce05161ab1beecb22de94e2d.jpg
Just saw they added Mavic Pro to the very end on the App Store. The website specs is still missing it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots