DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it possible to set to return to controller instead of homepoint

veryzebra

Reactions
Went to fly along the coast today, and was being transported in a golf cart someone else was driving. I wanted to fly the entire length of the coast but when battery was low it started to RTH. I canceled a few times but is there a way to set the home point equal to the controller so you could do a one way flight like this or turn off the low battery RTH? Thx

Reactions: Sereinx
If your drone enters failsafe RTH, you really want to be getting it down asap as it will be coming down one way or the other shortly after if you try and maintain flight.

You could try a few things to see if they can work for you.

My best advice is to set failsafe RTH to hover, as you should be fairly close you can just land it, retrieve, put in a new battery, take off again.
Page 16 of the manual.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_Mini_3_Pro/UM/DJI_Mini_3_Pro_user_manual_v1.0_en.pdf

Or, you could use 'follow me' mode . . . but failsafe should still set to hover to keep it close and not fly back to the home point.
(Active track could work if you wanted to track the cart.)

Or, reset home point to current position in the menu window.
?? Fly app under 'safety' ?? Drag to adjust ?
I don't think there's an option to have this done automatically, it's a manual operation, but if you get used to doing it I imagine it would be quite reasonable to do when you hit say 30% battery or so . . .

Would be nice if you could have it auto set it to record current location as home point at the time of failsafe kicking in.

Went to fly along the coast today, and was being transported in a golf cart someone else was driving. I wanted to fly the entire length of the coast but when battery was low it started to RTH. I canceled a few times but is there a way to set the home point equal to the controller so you could do a one way flight like this or turn off the low battery RTH? Thx
You can reset the homepoint during the flight in your app settings.
That gives you the option of resetting the home point to:
The current location of the drone .. or​
The current location of the controller (if your controller has good GPS reception).​

There is no dynamic homepoint feature which would continuously update to follow you.
Simply resetting the homepoint to the drone's location every 5 minutes or so would probably be enough to prevent the issue you experienced.

You can also set the home point to a set point on the map.
YES !
A great idea, especially if set to an estimated point where the pilot predicts suitable.
Would have to be sure of landing site chosen, but a green would be safe, well flat at least, ha ha :p 😁

YES !
A great idea, especially if set to an estimated point where the pilot predicts suitable.
Would have to be sure of landing site chosen, but a green would be safe, well flat at least, ha ha :p 😁
Flat? Obviously you have never played some of the courses that I have. Goats have trouble standing on the greens!!:p

If your drone enters failsafe RTH, you really w
Uum your use of the word "Failsafe" might confuse matters, that I can see the OP is referring to a low battery RTH, "Failsafe" refers to the action to be performed by the drone following a loss of connection to the drone.

Also I would have concerns about setting the "Failsafe" response to hover. So set unless the pilot can move the controller back into range then the drone may be lost, though, if the Mavic 3 behaves as other DJI drones, it will hover until the battery reaches "low battery RTH" levels at which point it will RTH.
You can also set the home point to a set point on the map.
I would be wary of using that near water, especially where water levels can vary e.g. tidal areas, unless the chosen home point is clearly well away from the water. It may be me but I find that errors in judging where, via the map, to place the home point could have significant repercussions. Better to use the controller symbol I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: eva2000
Just update home point to return to controller. Go to you tube there are several videos that will show you how to update home point to where you choose and it will return to that point.

Current location of you, or the drone? (For the drone that wouldn't be good over water.)

Te controller was meant, as per the general conversation and OPs needs.

Uum your use of the word "Failsafe" might confuse matters, that I can see the OP is referring to a low battery RTH, "Failsafe" refers to the action to be performed by the drone following a loss of connection to the drone.

Also I would have concerns about setting the "Failsafe" response to hover. So set unless the pilot can move the controller back into range then the drone may be lost,

Failsafe RTH was being discussed.
The post context.
It’s the final RTH option when the drone works out time to go to home point on battery remaining.
Yes, low battery RTH should have probably been a better term for the masses.

The pilot should be close in their stated flight scenario, have loads of battery remaining, and be able to do take control to either land or simply update home point if desired and move on.

Obvious this was just one option for use when suited to moving along if not far from the golf cart.

I’d certainly favour more so planning the flight, reset home point just after taking off to some distant point suitable for the drone to aim for.
It’d be far easier to relax, fly the mission, and still have the drone somewhere you wanted to be nearer your travel direction.

Reactions: jaswalt
I am afraid that unless post no1 was changed we will have to disagree. I can not see where post no1 mentions loss of connection etc..
I see your point in considering "Low battery RTH" a failsafe......but...... "Failsafe RTH" is the name used in the manual for the response to a loss of connection between the controller and the drone.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Yes I obviously misnamed it, but the OPs situation was they’d be far away from the original take off / home point later in the flight and they didn’t want it to go home, most likely under low battery RTH.
I think the options given would work, obviously with consideration to being able to regain control and flying to the current pilots position, or resetting home point in the fly and carrying on.

Yes I obviously misnamed it, but the OPs situation was they’d be far away from the original take off / home point later in the flight and they didn’t want it to go home, most likely under low battery RTH.
I think the options given would work, obviously with consideration to being able to regain control and flying to the current pilots position, or resetting home point in the fly and carrying on.
Yes, in fact it worked well today thanks :)

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven