DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it possible to take Photo looking up above Mavic for Panos?

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I wanted something that would reflect a flashlight when the day comes where I'm looking for my crashed drone in the dark.

Same thinking here. Until now, I used the reflective stripes that came with the landing pad. (they are bright red and add visibility in daylight, too) I will get this tape and cover my Mavic as nobody makes a reflective skin. Thanks for the pointer!

Reactions: Qoncussion
Proof of Concept: The Mavic with the GoPro Hero 3+ Black, mounted on top, was both very successful at capturing the full 360x180 scene, and ~ it will be the last time that I will be using this setup...

I set the Mavic to shoot 5 Rows + 8 Columns + 2 Nadirs, including the 30° up-angle from the horizon ~ all shot in landscape mode. The GoPro was mounted on top and tilted at approximately a 45° angle, in portrait orientation, with a 122° field of view (FOV) from horizon to zenith. Autopano Giga did an excellent job of mixing the landscape images from the Mavic with the portrait images from the GoPro. I ran the stitching once and there are no apparent errors in the panorama. It rendered a perfect 360x180 spherical image (see link below).

However, the weight of the GoPro rig had the Mavic rising and falling, every time it rotated to shoot the next column of images (see video below - low quality video as I was digitally zoomed in on my cell phone). You can also hear that the pitch of the motors is much higher than usual - meaning, they were working overtime. When I got her back on the ground, all four motors were very hot, especially those in front.

I think I'll be looking at getting one of those cube-shaped sports cams with a 220° FOV, and just mounting it on top, aimed straight up.

So anyway, that's how you can shoot the sky when using the Mavic for a 360 pano.

Perfect 360° x 180° panorama shot with a Mavic Pro w/GoPro mounted on top:

The rise and fall of the Mavic while carrying the GoPro Rig:

Last edited:
Reactions: Hollow Dog
How would VR enable your drone to take a picture vertically up?

Sorry. I should of explained it better. When you choose the VR mode of litchi, it will take a minimum of about 42 photos and you then use a program (I use director suite 15) which stitches the photos together. Then send it to your phone via email, save the photo and open it. Move your phone around (look up down - it won’t go all the way up or down, but it’s close. It will do a 360deg. I’ll try and give you an example. I’ll go looking

Sorry. I should of explained it better. When you choose the VR mode of litchi, it will take a minimum of about 42 photos and you then use a program (I use director suite 15) which stitches the photos together. Then send it to your phone via email, save the photo and open it. Move your phone around (look up down - it won’t go all the way up or down, but it’s close. It will do a 360deg. I’ll try and give you an example. I’ll go looking

Kuula

This is not my photo but it shows the capability.
The photo was taken by another Mavic Pro on this site - search ‘kuula’ to find the thread.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev