DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it possible to use MP to take pictures to automatically map out areas?

erkme73

Reactions
The joy of using my MP has been rekindled after discovering the panorama feature in Lichti. As cool as an immersive photosphere world is (like my clubhouse I shot this morning), it got me wondering if isn't possible to stich together a sequence of photos taken from flying a grid-like pattern.

Rather than having the camera at one focal point, as it traveled, say 200' above the ground, snap a series of pictures, making one huge (ie 500 megapixel) Google Earth-like image. I don't even know what this feature would be called...

Thanks. Just knowing what it's called is a huge step in the right direction.

Thanks. Just knowing what it's called is a huge step in the right direction.

No worries--"free" Photogrammetry Apps like DroneDeploy and other stuff may do it as well. 3D Mapping tests is one of the main reasons I bought this sucker, pretty excited to find out how it does

The DJI GS Pro app has 3d mapping, I have plotted a mapping run for the area I practice in but the weather has been just crap for a week, over 4" of rain and 50MPH winds, so no trying it out until the weather clears next week.

Reactions: erkme73
The DJI GS Pro app has 3d mapping, I have plotted a mapping run for the area I practice in but the weather has been just crap for a week, over 4" of rain and 50MPH winds, so no trying it out until the weather clears next week.

Ugh... iFruit only!

I tried it out the other day and was pretty pleased with the results. I was worried that focus might be an issue so I flew the drone and set the focus first. I've also set one of the programable buttons to centre focus. I was going to go out again today, its sunny but the wind has picked up....

I've had excellent preliminary results just taking somewhat random downward shots and then stitching them together in Lightroom... and yes on a Windows machine for crying out loud! No fancy software or methods involved.
I can image the results would be far better if flying a controlled pattern.

I use map pilot by maps made easy and after some practice I am getting very good results. I have done several large maps and they look great. It does produce orthomosaic maps that provide accurate topographic maps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead