DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it work it???

You will get a brighter screen 1000 nits, vesus the 500-700 nits for the ipad/iphone.

Functionality will be the same for DJI Go 4, but the ipad/iphone combination is better for 3rd party apps

Reactions: deltamike
Is the smart controller really worth the money? Will I get any more functionality out of it that I don't already get from my iPhone/Ipad?

Along with the brighter screen it will continue to function in hotter and colder environments than a phone or tablet. And it is quicker to deploy than a controller/phone combo. In addition, it has an HDMI out port that provides 1080p.

I was thinking along those lines myself, 10” tablet against the small 5.5” screen on the smart controller.
Decided I will eventually get one for ease of use once this lock down is over.

Agree with the comment about SC better reliability in extreme temperature environments. It doesn't take much sun and heat for my iPhone 11 Pro Max to over-temp and shutdown. I went with a LifThor external mount on the SC with a FeelWorld 7" HDMI screen with 2200 nits. The additional screen is plenty big and has the option to repeat the control display with all the navigation or just the uncluttered camera view. Great setup for my needs.IMG_1838.jpg

Last edited:
I love my smart controller and I also run a lilliput 7inch monitor with the epson Bt35e glasses a little over kill my wife says but it is a sweet set up. All kidding aside I purchased it because it had good reviews a brighter screen didn't need a sunshade and my phone is free plus I dont have to lug extra gear so I thought lol.If I had to purchase all my gear again I'd probably pass on the lilliput screen keep the smart controller and the bt35e glasses

Agree with the comment about SC better reliability in extreme temperature environments. It doesn't take much sun and heat for my iPhone 11 Pro Max to over-temp and shutdown. I went with a LifThor external mount on the SC with a FreeWorld 7" HDMI screen with 2200 nits. The additional screen is plenty big and has the option to repeat the control display with all the navigation or just the uncluttered camera view. Great setup for my needs.
I like your rig!
IMG_0514-2.jpg

Like your rig too! Has been perfect for my aging eyes and the bright sun. Enjoy and happy flying...

Reactions: Eat More Possum
Agree with the comment about SC better reliability in extreme temperature environments. It doesn't take much sun and heat for my iPhone 11 Pro Max to over-temp and shutdown. I went with a LifThor external mount on the SC with a FreeWorld 7" HDMI screen with 2200 nits. The additional screen is plenty big and has the option to repeat the control display with all the navigation or just the uncluttered camera view. Great setup for my needs.View attachment 100767

This is the same setup I use. I did add this lanyard attachment to it which makes it easier to balance.

I was thinking along those lines myself, 10” tablet against the small 5.5” screen on the smart controller.
Decided I will eventually get one for ease of use once this lock down is over.

Like you, I was used to iPad/iPad Mini4 setup and didn't feel the need (except for warm bright days) to justify the SC.
I went ahead and gave it a try and purchased my SC from B&H photo. They have a 30 day window to try with no restocking fee.
I'm sold! It's not going back! Quicker launch time, bright/clear screen, no cables. Being an IOS guy it's actually been good and challenging for me to learn the android world. Again, it's not going back

Is the smart controller really worth the money? Will I get any more functionality out of it that I don't already get from my iPhone/Ipad?
Absolutely. It will also link up with the P4P if you ever get one, and eliminates the "middle man" when it comes to updating. Very user friendly and no cabling required. Bright screen and you can edit with additional onboard video storage and files management to include adding additional data cards.

Reactions: deltamike
Agree with the comment about SC better reliability in extreme temperature environments. It doesn't take much sun and heat for my iPhone 11 Pro Max to over-temp and shutdown. I went with a LifThor external mount on the SC with a FreeWorld 7" HDMI screen with 2200 nits. The additional screen is plenty big and has the option to repeat the control display with all the navigation or just the uncluttered camera view. Great setup for my needs.View attachment 100767
I did the same, but instead of the expensive, but great quality, Lifthor bracket, I bought one on ebay made by a 3D printer for $44 and does just as good a job. I'm sure it is not as strong as the expensive metal one, but I intend to treat it with care.

If anyone is thinking of doing the same as we have done, be aware that not all Feelworld monitors are the 7 inch 2,200 NITs version. There are other models that look the same but are only in the high 700s in brightness. If you are ordering one, be sure to note that yours is the 2,200NITs version. This is even brighter than the Crystal Sky Super bright model, plus it is lighter and waaaay cheaper.

It is a great set up and I bought my monitor as an open box unit for $177 on ebay. I think you can get a good price from B&H on this one as well. Well worth the small investment for the best of all worlds in brightness, weight, price and function and features. The other great feature is that you can have the monitor show what your SC screen is showing, or choose to have the monitor show only what the camera is seeing and then have all your controls work from the smart controller only. A nice bright, large enough, unclutters screen of what the camera is showing you, as shown in Loganair's posted image.

Which model of the LifThor mount? Looking on line, I see several models.

They suggest one for the Feelworld 7 inch monitor. But check out ebay for a cheaper mount, it will save you nearly $60 that can go toward a Feel World monitor.

Which model of the LifThor mount? Looking on line, I see several models.

Hi Todd - I went with the LifThor mount combo in the link below. Expensive, yes, but has been worth every bit to me.

And if you'd rather have just the mount for 89.00 USD, here's the correct one for the SC...

Last edited:
This is the same setup I use. I did add this lanyard attachment to it which makes it easier to balance.
Wow, really like how that lanyard attachment balances the SC. That's the perfect setup for simplicity.

Edit: Given the price, went ahead and purchased one via Amazon. Thanks for sharing that setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gindra
Ah, a better center of gravity with that lanyard attachment.

I modified an Inspire one shoulder lanyard for a balanced result. But not ideal for a quick grab and go.

26F3578A-C866-413A-B06C-290898EC5E43.jpeg

Agree with the comment about SC better reliability in extreme temperature environments. It doesn't take much sun and heat for my iPhone 11 Pro Max to over-temp and shutdown. I went with a LifThor external mount on the SC with a FeelWorld 7" HDMI screen with 2200 nits. The additional screen is plenty big and has the option to repeat the control display with all the navigation or just the uncluttered camera view. Great setup for my needs.View attachment 100767

Based on this thread, I got one for myself. Looks awesome. thanks.

Attachments

• 20200513_152831.jpg
    20200513_152831.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 18
Based on this thread, I got one for myself. Looks awesome. thanks.
You're quite welcome. It really is a high quality setup that I've thoroughly enjoyed. I hope your experience is the same going forward. All the best and happy flying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mupps64