DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it worth even taking drone to Hawaii?

Leaving for Oahu and Kona on 27th pending clears on all the dang COVID testing ive gotta get to go. Wanting to take my new Mavic Air 2 with me. It is registered and I intend to follow all FAA rules and I know them. But, seems there are so many restrictions on Hawaii with no beach flying or state parks.... and the list of state parks is longer than my driving record in high school... lol

Is it worth taking it? Will i be able to fly at all? Hawaii seems to be nothing but beaches and state parks. Can I find decent places to fly that arent restricted? Anyone done any Hawaii flying that has any advice or spots they recommend? Thanks!
Dude totally take it! Lived Hawaii for the past 10 years and honestly it's like the wild Wild West out there nobody follows any rules with their drones and gets away with it daily. Not saying you should for sure respect the airspaces and especially if military areas and not flying over people on beaches...but have fun and fly everyone does.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I just read that the Kilauea volcano started erupting last night. There are probably several reasons you can't fly your drone there but it might be cool to visit if they would let you close enough to see anything.

Wish I had a drone when I lived there. Jealous. I’m in touch with guys that are flying there and their pictures are stunning. A lot of drone fishing is being done there as well. They also claim there’s much more open, than closed areas.
Please post some of those stunning pics and vid‘s upon your return. ?

Wish I had a drone when I lived there. Jealous. I’m in touch with guys that are flying there and their pictures are stunning. A lot of drone fishing is being done there as well. They also claim there’s much more open, than closed areas.
Please post some of those stunning pics and vid‘s upon your return. ?
Here is some footage from my time there.

Any tips on hand catching the mini 2? I saw one tip, to turn it upside down, which they say will turn it off (rather that trying to shut it off by the controller while it's trying to escape from your grip...).
Snatch and twist should work but is not recommend for normal catches, it likely stresses things. That said flying to and from a boat is likely to mean your are trying to launch or land in persistent wind, either from real wind or the boat's movement, so things are a little out of the ordinary.
I cup my fingers up the side on my MM so that it can't slip off my hand and in windless conditions it can be launched or caught with the delicacy of a feeding humming bird. In wind it gets a bit more risky, the 'cup' grip would facilitate your twist.
I would suggest practising in windless conditions first, then, when you are confident, move on to windy conditions. If you have access to a car, as a passenger etc. that, driven slowly, could make a good approximation to launching and landing from a boat .

When landing in a boat, it helps to fly in reverse so the controls exactly match the drones movements. In forward, everything is backwards. Try it, you’ll like it. Enjoy.

Reactions: JackL
I’ll chime in from Kapolei, on Oahu’s SW corner...

Bring your drone, follow all the aforementioned advice, then have a great time. Helping my father with some real estate ventures over the last few months, I’m on my second trip back here since the pandemic, along with my squadron.

My M2P and MA2 are competing for the more picturesque spots, and for shots that require a little more distance. My MP is being used for fishing off the beach, with its drop attachment (generic stuff typically found on eBay). We drop squid-baited hooks with light sinkers just beyond the reef, preferably around a bait ball, and have landed fish typically caught from trolling boats.

West side and North Shore Oahu have great flying spots, and that’s where the best surf spots are right now. South side from Ewa Beach to Honolulu has some restricted airspace with Honolulu Airport and adjoining Navy/Air Force base. East side looks open, but most flying spots are on anti-drone state parks. That’s the area with the easiest spots to see whales, but they’re not migrating until about March.

The middle of Oahu has many great vistas from which to fly, but be aware that Army rotary aircraft from Schofield and Wheeler conduct daily exercises with varying fligh patterns.

Kona would be a great place to fly, so just pay attention to airport traffic and frequent tourist helicopters. The Kilauea volcano area is all state park, so you won’t be able to legally fly there. From pretty much any legal flying spot on the Big Island of Hawai’i, you’ll have a view of a volcano or two, and plenty of lava rock fields.

I hope this helps...

See the Local and Regional section for more specific flying spot info. When I arrived in October, I didn’t get many responses to my post asking to fly with anyone or asking for suggestions. Our local forum members may be too tired of answering the same questions, as seen from historical posts over the last few years. So I went out and enjoyed the adventure of driving around the island with full batteries, checking Kittyhawk, ensuring it wasn’t a state park, and watching for any “No Drone” signage.

Above all, stay away from sacred native lands. Some are well-marked, while others require local knowledge. Send me a PM for more specific info, as I have Hawaiian lineage, and am therefore very respectful of ancestral grounds. Someday, I may post about a very weird flying behavior from my MA2 over what I learned to be a very sacred beach and lagoon. It’s really about respect out here, more than anyplace else I’ve flown on the Mainland.

809C591D-B804-4DFC-BE5E-B5D4BFAD91EA.jpeg
The dreaded sign at the Mount Tantalus scenic overlook above Honolulu, with the famous Diamond Head volcano looming in the background. So just drive out of the park, down the hill about a mile, and you’ll come to a non-park overlook from which you can actually fly. Common sense prevails.

Season’s Greetings, and Mele Kalikimaka to you and your ohana.

Last edited:
I'm going to Maui in March, and I plan to get a mini 2 to take along. I have a MA2, but I want something smaller (and cheaper, if lost at sea). I will be on a whale watch boat (70 ft catamaran) some days, and I plan to practice hand catching for that activity. I've seen some maui whale drone videos and they are stunning. Any tips on hand catching the mini 2? I saw one tip, to turn it upside down, which they say will turn it off (rather that trying to shut it off by the controller while it's trying to escape from your grip...).

I haven't actually tried yet but it seems like it would be pretty easy to use the left stick to make it land in your right hand.

I would look on social media to see if there is a drone group in the area you plan to visit. Ask them for locations, and launch points. Nobody knows better anywhere than a local.

I didn’t take my MP to Oahu... not my favorite island though. I did take it to Kauai and found plenty of places to fly and get cool pictures.

If you are going on a chartered whale watching trip, I wouldn’t plan on flying from the boat. You will be in constant motion and it’s very unlikely that the charter company will allow a drone to take off from the boat... too much liability from their perspective (not arguing, just many places with no drone experience start with no). Plus there are usually a ton of people packed on those tours.

Find cool little beaches that you can fly around. Waterfalls that you can fly near. Someone posted something stupid about volcanos above... that’s on the big island Hawaii and yeah, that would be stupid but cmon. Not every island has an active volcano.

The one thing I’d suggest is look for places you can fly well before going. When we go to the islands, luggage space is always at a premium. We don’t try to take things we won’t use, so if you are uncertain you can use your drone, it may not be worth taking. I knew I could fly cool places on Kauai, so I took it, but didn’t take it to Oahu. When we go to the big island Hawaii again next November, I’ll take it.

There’s a YouTuber Dustin Dunnill that has one of the best YouTube channels from Hawaii. Check out his channel. You may get some ideas.

Last edited:
Hand catching the mini 2 is easy. While catching keep your left stick down and once you grabbed it, push the drone UP a bit - if you pull it down a bit the motors may increase speed. Test it!
The rule: practice, practice, practice.

They have no jurisdiction once you are in the air, that is all controlled by the FAA. They can only tell you that you are not allowed to takeoff or land on their property, be it public or private land. The same applies to parks, including national parks.

There is no way that I would travel to Hawaii without my drone.
Minimum 2000 feet AGL over National parks.

Leaving for Oahu and Kona on 27th pending clears on all the dang COVID testing ive gotta get to go. Wanting to take my new Mavic Air 2 with me. It is registered and I intend to follow all FAA rules and I know them. But, seems there are so many restrictions on Hawaii with no beach flying or state parks.... and the list of state parks is longer than my driving record in high school... lol

Is it worth taking it? Will i be able to fly at all? Hawaii seems to be nothing but beaches and state parks. Can I find decent places to fly that arent restricted? Anyone done any Hawaii flying that has any advice or spots they recommend? Thanks!
Don't know but can you take off outside a park and fly over the vlos area. The parks don't regulate the airspace. Check that. Be legal and safe.

"Is it worth taking it?"

Answer: Absolutely yes for me. However, I have the Mavic 2 Pro which flies marvelously in 30mph winds. If you have a smaller one, good luck. The attached photo was taken on Maui in 2019.

DJI_0445e.jpg

I took my drone to the Big Island earlier this year but never used it. All the beaches we visited were parks and had signs saying no drones allowed. Also, hawaii has minimal tidal range so there isn’t an intertidal zone. There are probably some remote beaches that aren’t parks, but none I could find on the Kona/Kohala Coast. I could see flying over the lava fields though.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan