DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it worth to wait? Or go and buy?

MrQuicka

Reactions
Hello every one,

I was looking for something new to fly with. So i was doing my market research and then i realised. Since December 31th 2020 in whole EU there is a new Legislation in afect, whitch determines a lot of things about drones. One of this stuff is that drones must in the near future to be equiped with ADS-B (In affect in 2022). But now only drone with this is Mavic Air 2 but NOT for EU market, only for the US. So schould i start for way to get an Air2 made for US market or wait for something to pop up in near future?

I was hoping that something as small as Mini 2 wil not be affected by this set of rules. But i was wrong. And honestly i don't want to buy a drone to buy some crap ADS-B device in 6 month to hook in up with my drone so it will not be illiegal any more.

So the Question is... Is there any alternative? Are there any other drones for this moment that will fufill requirements set by the legislation?

One of this stuff is that drones must in the near future to be equiped with ADS-B (In affect in 2022). But now only drone with this is Mavic Air 2 but NOT for EU market, only for the US.
Where does it specify ADS-B for EU/UK drones? The regulations just say remote ID. Also, the MA2 only has ADS-B in, not out (so it doesn’t transmit).
I was hoping that something as small as Mini 2 wil not be affected by this set of rules. But i was wrong.
How so? The regulations say:

The product standards in the UAS DR require that any UAS marked as Class C1, C2 or C3 must have a direct remote ID capability; this must be active (i.e. switched on) and up to date whenever the UA is being flown.

If any other UA is equipped with a remote ID capability, this must be active and up to date whenever the UA is being flown in the Open category.

Neither the MM1 nor the MM2 are marked as C1. Neither of them are already equipped with a compliant remote ID facility (other than the very basic one provided by DJI). Consequently, there is no reason why they can’t be used for the foreseeable future in the Open category.

The only requirement added to the Minis in the UK is the requirement to obtain an Operator ID. This is more than outweighed by the ability to operate them in built up areas and to fly over uninvolved people.

Where does it specify ADS-B for EU/UK drones? The regulations just say remote ID. Also, the MA2 only has ADS-B in, not out (so it doesn’t transmit).
Ok, my mistake i found the text and read it one more time. It says that the ID is for category ''Specific'' That is the middle tier. And it's from Regulation 2019/947 based on amendment 2020/1058.

Neither the MM1 nor the MM2 are marked as C1. Neither of them are already equipped with a compliant remote ID facility (other than the very basic one provided by DJI). Consequently, there is no reason why they can’t be used for the foreseeable future in the Open category.

Even Though that the MM2 Has a camera it still falls to Category C0?
I'm little bit confused by all the rules that are out there.
So if it is all true, and i already have the Operator ID I'm able to fly it within the restrictions for probalby next 2years?

Thanks A lot @maelstrom the insight you gave me really cleared the sky for me literaly.

Even Though that the MM2 Has a camera it still falls to Category C0?
I'm little bit confused by all the rules that are out there.
So if it is all true, and i already have the Operator ID I'm able to fly it within the restrictions for probalby next 2years?
The Mini (both versions) are not C0-class drones. They’re classed as legacy drones in the A1 subcategory. Unless the regulations change again, you’ll be able to fly it beyond 31 December 2022 without further restrictions. See:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb