DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is Legislation Killing Drones as a Hobby?

DroneToJoy

Reactions
There will come a time soon when all these increased regulations globally will need to get revised - in many cases challenged by increasingly over-zealous regulation, little lobby strength by the mostly educated drone hobbyists, and an unrealistic view by some (rather minor portion) of the public that droners are up to no good, as a starting point (all the do-not's).

From what I read, and hear, drone hobbyists are mostly educated or interested in reading up about the hobby (and the art of flying/photography) to make video and photos from new perspectives. As in many other hobbies (or activities), such as people taking pictures with their mobiles/cellphones (by the millions daily), there is always a bad apple and stupidity/error of judgement of when and where to do so if it affects privacy or presents a danger to life in some form.

Unfortunately, in our case I also think the mostly limited awareness of the public about drones as a hobby is often skewed by how and when the media present this hobby - usually in a crisis event.

If this continues without the authorities realising that the hobby is a great one, with lots of responsible people with good intentions, then the hobby will essentially become more restrictive in increasingly illogical situations to the point of being banned almost everywhere as time passes by.

I enjoy it and apply common sense in all respects. Im learning all the time.

Reactions: mereflyer
Here in Europe there is no longer a legislative distinction between doom means lesiureflying - which in my opinion will be a huge boost for the drone industry rather than killing it.

However, it is forcing manufacturers into a corner in relation to new products. I think for the majority of hobby flyers the sub 250g market is the only appealing one given it has less restrictions attached to it. I think in future anything over 250g is only going to appeal to those with industrial applications who operate for financial gain.

Last edited:
Here in Europe there is no longer a legislative distinction between doom means lesiureflying - which in my opinion will be a huge boost for the drone industry rather than killing it.

However, it is forcing manufacturers into a corner in relation to new products. I think for the majority of hobby flyers the sub 250g market is the only appealing one given it has less restrictions attached to it. I think in future anything over 250g is only going to appeal to those who operate for financial gain.
I disagree with the assertion about financial gain. I am interested in the scope of aerial photography by drone, to achieve a fantastic range of new perspectives and applications. My choice of drone (by specs, including weight) is not subject to any money earning capacity. It would simply be to achieve better flying and filming performance.

You can blame that on the amount of people constantly breaking rules. I cannot count how many people post videos on Facebook of flying over 400 feet, out of a car, over 400 feet away from themselves etc. That is what is going to get things shut down in the non-commercial realm.

I disagree with the assertion about financial gain. I am interested in the scope of aerial photography by drone, to achieve a fantastic range of new perspectives and applications. My choice of drone (by specs, including weight) is not subject to any money earning capacity. It would simply be to achieve better flying and filming performance.
Sorry - my phone rang and I posted without finishing ? I meant industrial applications.

There’s no reason that kind of equipment won’t be available in a sub 250g package at some point though. I was thinking more if delivery drones and lidar and agricultural applications etc.

There will come a time soon when all these increased regulations globally will need to get revised - in many cases challenged by increasingly over-zealous regulation, little lobby strength by the mostly educated drone hobbyists, and an unrealistic view by some (rather minor portion) of the public that droners are up to no good, as a starting point (all the do-not's).

From what I read, and hear, drone hobbyists are mostly educated or interested in reading up about the hobby (and the art of flying/photography) to make video and photos from new perspectives. As in many other hobbies (or activities), such as people taking pictures with their mobiles/cellphones (by the millions daily), there is always a bad apple and stupidity/error of judgement of when and where to do so if it affects privacy or presents a danger to life in some form.

Unfortunately, in our case I also think the mostly limited awareness of the public about drones as a hobby is often skewed by how and when the media present this hobby - usually in a crisis event.

If this continues without the authorities realising that the hobby is a great one, with lots of responsible people with good intentions, then the hobby will essentially become more restrictive in increasingly illogical situations to the point of being banned almost everywhere as time passes by.

Depends on what you need to do your hobby. Since many of us enjoy breaking the rules as part of the hobby and the FAA is intent on getting us to comply, then you may have a point.

On the other hand if you are happy flying with in the rules, then, no it will not kill the hobby.

Reactions: mereflyer

If any of the "Regulators" see this post, My suggestion to them is - get a Mavic (any model) and try it for themselves. Surely they then might understand where we are coming from and perhaps be a (lot) less draconian in their attitude and control of the their fellow flyers who really enjoy the hobby. We mean no harm to any and just want to enjoy the freedom of the limited sky we have access to.
I Certainly agree, only the trouble makers need to be dealt with, but not at the expense of those of us with no intention of harm to anyone or anything!

Problem is many rules are legislative where there are many, often hundreds making the laws.

Then agencies try to implement the laws.

It would be hard to get all the legislatures to get personally familiar with drones.

We mean no harm to any and just want to enjoy the freedom of the limited sky we have access to.
Good intentions don’t prevent potential accidents or injuries.

Whilst there are undoubtedly some places with more stringent limitations, there are huge areas where you can fly within the rules without any “draconian” legislations. Drone flying is always going to be a compromise between what we’d like to do and what we’re allowed to do. None of us has any rights to do whatever we want. It’s all a matter of perspective. I don’t have any problems operating within the rules if it allows me to fly sensibly in most places I want to. If I find that the VLOS rule is starting to affect me, I can just move closer to the area I want to fly. It may take a little more effort but it’s not really a problem.

I think the bottom lines is that the rules could be much, much more restrictive than they currently are and the more that people ignore them (because they don’t agree with them), the more likely that is to happen soon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake