DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is Master Airscrew worth the extra coin?

Mantrain

Reactions
They are not cheap when one considers that no extras are included and one little fray on a propeller means that an entire new set needs to be ordered. But are they worth it?

Are they worth it? Well the slight difference in pitch makes me happy so for me I say yes. As for a " little fray on a propeller means that an entire new set needs to be ordered" you could say that about DJI props also. I have been using Master airscrew props for many years on my other drones and have had no issues with the props or customer service.
Sorry I was also a beta tester for them so I might have a bias opinion ;)

Are they worth it? Well the slight difference in pitch makes me happy so for me I say yes. As for a " little fray on a propeller means that an entire new set needs to be ordered" you could say that about DJI props also. I have been using Master airscrew props for many years on my other drones and have had no issues with the props or customer service.
Sorry I was also a beta tester for them so I might have a bias opinion ;)
Thanks for your reply,
well it is just that I bought a Fly More Package so regrading the small defects that occur over flights requiring replacement props many owners have several replacement OEM props at hand which you do not get w MAS props.

I've been looking at them to and since the fix the reviews have been mostly positive.

A little over two minutes of flight time and a couple DB drop in noise. There are a bunch of youtube video's.

Reactions: eva2000 and Baja170
I've been looking at them to and since the fix the reviews have been mostly positive.

A little over two minutes of flight time and a couple DB drop in noise. There are a bunch of youtube video's.

There are also Youtube videos reporting that the claims made by the manufacturer are substantially overstated. Has there been a redesign of the product, or are we talking only about replacing that one fellow's defective props?

I'm skeptical. I suspect that if a slightly different propeller could produce a big boost in performance DJI would have jumped on it long, long ago.

The one tangible benefit I do see is the lower pitched sound produced by the Master Airscrew props. But that's not enough of a benefit to make me swap out a critical operating component like the props for an after-market item.

There are also Youtube videos reporting that the claims made by the manufacturer are substantially overstated. Has there been a redesign of the product, or are we talking only about replacing that one fellow's defective props?

I'm skeptical. I suspect that if a slightly different propeller could produce a big boost in performance DJI would have jumped on it long, long ago.

The one tangible benefit I do see is the lower pitched sound produced by the Master Airscrew props. But that's not enough of a benefit to make me swap out a critical operating component like the props for an after-market item.
Its really to bad the RC community has come this. Master Airscrew props were the go to props of every modeler back in the day. They were rated as number one. If your flew RC planes you wanted those props. Now we put our trust into China props just because they are OEM props.
Pretty sad

Its really to bad the RC community has come this. Master Airscrew props were the go to props of every modeler back in the day. They were rated as number one. If your flew RC planes you wanted those props. Now we put our trust into China props just because they are OEM props.
Pretty sad

A friend's elderly mother was fond of saying, "You ate the cow; you might as well eat the tail."

I've had four DJI drones and found them to be marvelous products that perform beautifully. They're the best little bundles of technology I've ever used. I trust the drones, so why would I not trust the props? I don't recall hearing about DJI prop failures, just the warping in storage issue on the Minis.

If I there's something sad about this it seems to me that it's the fact that we have to rely on China to produce not just the props but the entire drone systems.

I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone else shouldn't buy substitute props, just saying that I've not seen a reason to. I'd love to be convinced that there's an option that performs better and is equally reliable.

MS Coast, my understanding is they did a complete resign and resolved the issues through manufacturing. It was a manufacturing flaw with the smoothness of the props and prop edges from what I can gathered from the current reviews.

Reactions: MS Coast
I bought about 4 sets of props from Master Airscrew, in different colors. When I did this several months ago, the price was about the same as the ones from DJI, so no difference in that regard. I haven't done scientific tests with double blinds and indifferent witnesses and such, but I personally can't tell any difference in the DB levels or performance attributes. I've been using them exclusively for the 3-4 months since I've gotten them, and have had no problems with them. I had the blue ones on for the first few months; and the red ones for the last month.

Bottom line review: get them if you want a bit more color, but otherwise there's no advantage or disadvantage to them. And if you're like me and most people, you can't see the props while you're flying anyway.

Re cost, not sure what pricing is for OEM and MAS in the US$, but here I found the MAS only slightly more than OEM props, with DJI pricing for a pair (2 packs required), and MAS for a set of 4.

I have used them for years on the M1P and Spark, not sure about results for newer model MAS props, but for me they have been great to use, the M1P is so quiet, and the Spark much less noticeable.

It would be good to see comparo videos of newer model aircraft OEM vs MAS props, probably YouTube would have some more like the 51 Drones video linked above (that was a great result for the Air2).

Here are a few I've done with my M1P and Spark, and the brother in laws Air . . .

Reactions: eva2000
Well, I'd love to. But I'd have to move over to the Autel forum and get used to orange drones.
And I wouldn't be surprised if Autel uses Chinese components.
Autel is a Chinese company, based in Shenzen just down the road from DJI.
Their drones are made in China.
They have a US based company to sell to the US market.

Pretty sad
What's sad?
Master Airscrew make good props, but so does the maker of the drone.
The issue is whether there's any real advantage in paying for their props when the original equipment does the job perfectly well.

With a model plane, getting the right prop is important and changing props could make a significant difference.
For a drone where the flight controller handles everything, there are minimal gains to be made by tweaking propeller parameters.

I have a few sets but have not been using them lately. Nothing at all wrong with them, just feel the stock props are fine. I wanted different colors more than anything and did hope the orange would make it easier to see but at a distance they are all about the same to me. If you like what you see then why not try them out. They are no worse than the stock props.

If MAS was publicly traded, I would buy in. They have a great advertising strategy.
I’ll stick with OEM on the props.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Well, I'd love to. But I'd have to move over to the Autel forum and get used to orange drones.
Autel is Chinese. They just happen to have an American office too.
And I wouldn't be surprised if Autel uses Chinese components.
Chinese components, and assembled in China. For the most part.

Last edited:
For me OEM props from a Canadian Bestbuy for a set of 4 props cost $33.98 plus tax
Buying from MAS the price for 4 props is $32.60 plus tax.
Are the better? Like I said before I like the lower pitch. I do notice it so yes I will continue to buy them as I can also get them in different colors now. A option that China does not have.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato