DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is Mavic 3 Required? I am pretty sure it will be

stevearends

Reactions
I recently bought an air2s and have a Mini 3 Pro arriving tomorrow (I think). I own a construction company and need to document building damages oftentimes in difficult to access areas of the building, a high and/or steep roof is typical. I took photos of a $5 bill taped to a roof and then snapped a photo with my iPhone and then put the Air2s in Sport mode and got as close as i could to compare the details. As one might suspect, the iPhone 12 Pro was able to gather more detail, most probably because it was closer to the subject. Here is my question, would a Mavic 3 be able to obtain resolution quality similar to an iPhone 12 Pro?

Air2s

air2s five dollar bill.png

iPhone
iphone lincoln 5 dollar.png

Reactions: DStass and SoCal2S
The lens of an Air2S has a minimum focus distance of .6 meters or about two feet while an I-phone can be much closer thus get more detail at that range. That said I am not sure any consumer drone is really up macro-like photography. However, with a 20 megapixel image out of the Air2S I would think you could see sufficient detail no?

Last edited:
The Mavic 3 and Mini 3 Pro have higher resolution still cameras, so one would think they would be more detailed. I don’t know if they would be as detailed as an iPhone 12. You have to remember that the iPhone has very sophisticated image processing capabilities beyond just the resolution of the camera.

Now, bear with me here, but the title of your thread suggests you’re really looking for an excuse to buy another drone, lol. For what you’re talking about, I can’t imagine a Mavic 3 would be “required.” The air 2S should be more than enough (as will the mini 3).

Another tip is that if you were using it for business like that, you absolutely need to be commercially licensed. You didn’t say if you were but I just thought I’d point that out.

Reactions: Mike@Dragonfly
For roof inspections, do you really need something that provides resolution beyond being able to discern the pupil in the eye of Abraham Lincoln on a five-dollar bill? What is it that you need to be able to detect?

It sounds to me that he needs to be able to detect his business justification for buying another drone and/or his advance reason for explaining it to his wife. 🤣

Ok gentlemen, the reason you “suspect” these motivations is probably because you’ve already “been there done that” before! Lol

BTW, I do have my part 107 license.

Also, the degree of detail “required” is a good question and I owe it to the Air2S and to myself to try to gain every skill possible to achieve professional and clear photos.

So, you guys probably caught me , part of me is looking for a “need” for the Mavic 3 camera whereas it could very well be just a “nice to have”!

Thanks guys!

So now that your true ;) intentions are out, you may still be in luck. Tell your wife that; in an aerial imagery business, to have no backup drone is akin to a plan for failure - surely she'd understand - mine did. :cool:
Sadly that one will not work as I already have a mini 3 pro coming next week! lol.

Honestly, if the drone(s) help us with our business as much as I think they might, she will have no problem with me purchasing a few drones. I have up to three additional employees besides myself that could potentially utilize drones to assist with inspections! I don't think it is 100% all just me excited and super enamored with how ultra fun and cool it is to fly a drone, although that is certainly a factor, when honesty is pursued!

For roof inspections, do you really need something that provides resolution beyond being able to discern the pupil in the eye of Abraham Lincoln on a five-dollar bill? What is it that you need to be able to detect?
Probably not.

But, it is cool to be able to do so!

Reactions: MS Coast
I recently bought an air2s and have a Mini 3 Pro arriving tomorrow (I think). I own a construction company and need to document building damages oftentimes in difficult to access areas of the building, a high and/or steep roof is typical. I took photos of a $5 bill taped to a roof and then snapped a photo with my iPhone and then put the Air2s in Sport mode and got as close as i could to compare the details. As one might suspect, the iPhone 12 Pro was able to gather more detail, most probably because it was closer to the subject. Here is my question, would a Mavic 3 be able to obtain resolution quality similar to an iPhone 12 Pro?

Air2s
View attachment 148869

iPhone
View attachment 148870
Well according to my unbiased professional opinion, you definitely need the Mavic 3.

It's written by a guy on the internet, so that should be all the proof you need to show your wife.

don't forget you need to buy / build some fpv drones to keep you're flying skills honed in case of GPS drop out..... and of course, you don't want to wear out the work birds for upkeep of the old muscle memory....

we've all been there done that ;)

Reactions: SoCal2S
don't forget you need to buy / build some fpv drones to keep you're flying skills honed in case of GPS drop out..... and of course, you don't want to wear out the work birds for upkeep of the old muscle memory....

we've all been there done that ;)

Definitely. In fact, screw the Mavic 3. He needs to diversify. He needs a Mavic 4. What's that? I know it doesn't exist. I don't care. GET ON IT, DJI. This guy has an emergency.

Reactions: dmathis
All the above said do you wish to risk a multiple thousand $ flying camera by flying so close to buildings that they could work at minimum focus range?
A gust of wind and panic or a wrong stick movement on the controller might well put the drone into the roof.

Definitely need one! Plus you can write it off the business as equipment... so it is before tax money! Can't get a better discount than that!

Very nice and cool thread to read. Didn't take much arm-bending at all to get stevearends to cave and ante up ;) Thumbswayup

Sounds like you need a Mavic 2 Pro and a Mavic 2 Zoom — lots for sale used. They share batteries, props, and of course controllers. The pair provides backup and options. Personally, the odd second camera on M3 is useless to me. I’m using the above Mavic 2 dynamic duo, acquired locally and recently, to see me through this Sept when all new sUAV must have RID and next Sept when we will see aircraft with COA that meet FAA category specs. Till then, the non-bleeding edge of tech for me!

Last edited:
Reactions: stevearends

Air2s
View attachment 148869

iPhone
View attachment 148870

Air2s
View attachment 148869

iPhone
View attachment 148870
Okay, I've been reading through the replies. Truth is, I do exterior building inspections of both commercial and residential buildings. Most of the work I do involves residential roof inspection. The company provides an Air 2 (not 's'), and a lot of times I use my own M2P and M3C. Of course the Air 2 is the least clear of the three, but I generally fly between 4 and 6 feet from my subject and I can see most damage (hail hits, thermal splitting, mat exposure, etc.). I wouldn't call it hollywood studio quality but it gets the job done. THAT BEING SAID my preference for quality images and just plain aerial photography is, hands down the M3C.

Reactions: stevearends
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22