DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is my HOA going to be a problem?

PompousWindbag

Reactions
A recent post I read got me to wondering... I never stopped to consider my HOA might prohibit drone operation i.e. launch/landing from my private property until I read that some HOA's do precisely that. So, I thought I'd check my CCR's to see. While drones are not mentioned, specifically, I noticed these two provisions might be used if someone were to complain:

1. MACHINERY: No Machinery or equipment of any kind shall be placed, operated, or maintained upon any Lot, except such machinery or equipment as is usual and customary in connection with the use or maintenance of a private residence.

2. GOOD NEIGHBOR RULE: This rule asks that all homeowners refrain from any activity that would disturb the pleasant quality of a neighborhood life. This guideline extends to any unacceptable activity that might negatively impact the quiet enjoyment of each homeowner, their radio or TV reception or the Association's insurance rates.

Both of these can be very broadly interpreted, to include drone operation, I would think. In the meantime, I DO want to be a good neighbor and do NOT wish to disturb the peaceful enjoyment of anyone on their property. My general practice is to launch straight up, gain altitude as quickly as possible to maybe 150-250 ft before heading off in any direction. I don't hover over people's houses. I'm usually just flying along, keeping things moving, unless I'm doing a panoramic shot or hyperlapse. I also prefer to fly at dusk or after dark, which could work for or against me. Most people are in their homes during these times, but the drone is also easier to spot, even at maximum altitude of 400'. So I suppose if someone gets a wild hair, not only will they spot the drone more easily, they will also be more easily to see where it lands when I bring it home. For now, I'll just continue to try and be a good neighbor, keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

A recent post I read got me to wondering... I never stopped to consider my HOA might prohibit drone operation i.e. launch/landing from my private property until I read that some HOA's do precisely that. So, I thought I'd check my CCR's to see. While drones are not mentioned, specifically, I noticed these two provisions might be used if someone were to complain:

1. MACHINERY: No Machinery or equipment of any kind shall be placed, operated, or maintained upon any Lot, except such machinery or equipment as is usual and customary in connection with the use or maintenance of a private residence.

2. GOOD NEIGHBOR RULE: This rule asks that all homeowners refrain from any activity that would disturb the pleasant quality of a neighborhood life. This guideline extends to any unacceptable activity that might negatively impact the quiet enjoyment of each homeowner, their radio or TV reception or the Association's insurance rates.

Both of these can be very broadly interpreted, to include drone operation, I would think. In the meantime, I DO want to be a good neighbor and do NOT wish to disturb the peaceful enjoyment of anyone on their property. My general practice is to launch straight up, gain altitude as quickly as possible to maybe 150-250 ft before heading off in any direction. I don't hover over people's houses. I'm usually just flying along, keeping things moving, unless I'm doing a panoramic shot or hyperlapse. I also prefer to fly at dusk or after dark, which could work for or against me. Most people are in their homes during these times, but the drone is also easier to spot, even at maximum altitude of 400'. So I suppose if someone gets a wild hair, not only will they spot the drone more easily, they will also be more easily to see where it lands when I bring it home. For now, I'll just continue to try and be a good neighbor, keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.
Ask forgiveness not permission

We live in an HOA and since it is nothing but retirees, they frequently seem to have nothing better to do than make sure YOU are not breaking their rules. We are fortunate that we live on the perimeter of the development with a small canyon behind us and a couple hundred yards to the next development. We've adopted "Don't Ask - Don't Tell" as our motto. Not a soul in the neighborhood knows we fly a drone and we've no intention of telling anyone. So far, so good!

Most HOA developments, and their CC&Rs, were in place before the advent of drones. It usually takes a fair amount of work to amend the CC&Rs (and usually a super majority type vote - say 75%). Thus they are not directly spoken to in most of those documents. If the HOA also has Rules and Regulations, which are easier to change, and speaks to drones, those rules must be supported by the CC&Rs. And, such rules cannot conflict with local, state, and federal law.

As a for instance, in Nevada there's state law that says a drone flying over private property of others, must do so at or above 250 feet. If flying lower than that without permission no crime unless or until the property owner presents the done pilot written notice that he shouldn't do than. If it occurs again, that's a trespass.

What all this means is that you can fly over private property, however it's wise to stay high enough so that the flight isn't taken as an invasion of privacy. That's when bad things happen.

I've been president of our HOA for 5 years. After a strong wind even last year, I checked with each of my neighbors to ask if they wanted me to inspect their roofs, no charge. The ones that didn't respond, I didn't check.

What is an HOA please, cheers Len

See my response to the other posting you mentioned.

2. sounds like it could be a real problem for a drone owner who wants to enjoy the right and privilege of taking off from their own backyard.

Could somebody please explain to me what are the advantages of living under an HOA?

2. sounds like it could be a real problem for a drone owner who wants to enjoy the right and privilege of taking off from their own backyard.

Could somebody please explain to me what are the advantages of living under an HOA?
You have someone that manages any common property (community park, pool, etc.).
Your neighbors can't paint their house purple.
Your neighbors can't change the exterior of their house to look like Sleeping Beauty Castle.
That's pretty much it.

Well, I've owned homes with and without HOA's. In general, HOA governed neighborhoods are better maintained. People can't park their 8 cars on the street clogging up the cul-de-sac and in general, enjoy higher property values.

It's a mixed bag. If you want total freedom to do whatever you want, whenever you want, then an HOA isn't for you. If you want someone else maintaining the common areas, not allowing your neighbor to park his RV in front of your house along with his boat and five other vehicles, or letting his lawn go to seed because he's out hiking in the Himilaya's for a year and can't be bothered to water his property, it can be pretty nifty.

Generally speaking, by their design, HOA neighborhoods are cleaner and maintain housing values better than those that are not. I've lived in both. With and without. My own HOA has overreached with me a time or two. I stood my ground. They backed off. I don't mind abiding by the rules, so long as they don't infringe on my rights. I once had a neighbor who complained that I was flying the American flag on a 20' pole in my back yard, overlooking the golf course. The HOA told him to pound sand and said I could fly my flag whenever I wanted. So yeah, there are some disadvantages, including the HOA fees, but generally speaking, at least for me, the pros have outweighed the cons. SO FAR...

People always say HOA will stop the area from going downhill. I have never lived in an HOA but live about a block away from one. Their neighborhood looks just as nice as the non-HOA area. I tend to think HOA board members as the kids that were School Hall monitors. :D

Just to bookend this discussion, I think my current plan is to just try and stay off the HOA radar, but continue to try and have as much fun as possible TFN.. I've never seen another drone in my neighborhood (lived here for 17 years) and either I've just missed them, or the operators are so discreet that I've never noticed. That's the tact I'm going to take. Launch and land discreetly and stay high enough over the other houses and streets and keep that sucker moving. Only one other family knows that I fly one and they're curious and very cool about it. I'm just going to try and keep a low profile.

Just depends on what someone is looking for and an HOA may be for them. In the area we have a fairly new community, really a town, being built. Currently has 1500 residents (homes, villas and condos) with a total of 19000 homes planned. The HOA fees which I found seems to average around $300 a month. That covers fiber internet, care of all roads, common grounds, community buildings, activity spaces (courts, kiddie splash pad, lake board walks, etc.) trash pickup, maintenance of a dozen+ lakes, 50 miles of biking/hiking trails, free driverless people mover in the town square area and more.

Of course that also means you can't paint your house any color, need to use approved plants for landscaping, use approved fencing materials, no parking on the streets.

ABSOLUTELY NONE!

Reactions: skippyscage
ABSOLUTELY NONE!

Easy there... it's obvious you're not a fan of an HOA but many of us have enjoyed living in an HOA for many years. It really depends on the individual HOA, their existing bylaws/rules, and on the board governing that HOA. Unfortunately, many HOA's become overrun over time with those who have nothing better to do than worry/complain about every little detail and it ends up being a heated issue within a fairly small community. Those busy bodies get on the board and can literally run it into the ground when they get enough "like minded" people involved.

Our HOA is now 23 years old and still just as easy going and FUN as it was when first created (I was involved with the building of the subdivision many years ago long before I purchased land and "entered" the HOA). Yes we have rules (cars must be tagged and operational if outside, can't block roads, house can't look like it's out of a 70's cartoon, no farm animals....) but the rule were in place prior to me buying the property and I approved of them then and still do today.

My neighbor bought a "cough-used-cough" RV a few weeks ago. He plans to strip it down and do a complete overhaul (I suggest using dynamite as it looks beyond repair) for when he retires in a few years. This thing was brought in on a roll back as it has flat/rotten tires, the front has NO siding so it's exposed furring strips and insulation hanging out, and looks like it sat under a maple syrup plant dripping on it for years. He parked it Front & Center of his house on the MAIN road for all to see and "enjoy". For a day or two it was no big deal as I was confident it was going to be moved/removed at any moment. It didn't move for a week but fortunately the President of the HOA happens to live directly across from that neighbor. I saw them having a conversation, walking around the RV looking, pointing and a lot of head shaking.... the next morning the RV was moved into my neighbors basement and out of sight. Come to find out, he was intending to leave it like that on the main road in full view of everyone until spring so he could source parts and get his ducks in a row for the rebuild. Negative LOL!

In stark contrast, there is another community directly across the hill from ours (thank goodness the hill is a visual and audible buffer)... it's 15 years younger and has no HOA. Even at 400' AGL you can tell a marked difference between a "Community Ran" housing area and a "free for all" housing area. The neighboring community literally has cars sitting ON cars, RV's parked in their community road half disassembled, litter and trash on the roads, in the yards, and spewed out in almost every place you can toss your old fast food litter. One of the homes has a "storage building" (I use that word loosely) that is literally old wooden pallets stacked and 2 tarps (one blue and one silver) as the roof. It currently has the remains of a fallen bradford pear tree connecting the "Roof" to the ground and has been there since late last fall. To say it's an eye sore is grossly understating it.

My HOA may be on one end of the spectrum for a GOOD HOA and the community across the hill from us is definitely the OTHER end of the spectrum for a nonHOA community but it does demonstrate the potential benefits of living in a community with some rules and standards.

Yes an HOA does have some restrictions/limitations but for some people that's worth the increase in aesthetics, pleasures, cleanliness, and over all condition of the community as a whole. Not all HOAs are horrible just like not all HOAs are as easy going and a pleasure as the one I live in. You can't paint them all with the same broad/wide brush.

Just makes me appreciate even more living 'in the country' with no neighbors, no noises except insects, squirrels and birds, on a paved 'county-maintained' tertiary road with very little traffic.

Oh yeah, re: sounds... forgot about the coyotes in the distance some nights, the bard owls early morning, and the quail we actively husband with plantings and un-mowed pasture.

Easy there... it's obvious you're not a fan of an HOA but many of us have enjoyed living in an HOA for many years. It really depends on the individual HOA, their existing bylaws/rules, and on the board governing that HOA. Unfortunately, many HOA's become overrun over time with those who have nothing better to do than worry/complain about every little detail and it ends up being a heated issue within a fairly small community. Those busy bodies get on the board and can literally run it into the ground when they get enough "like minded" people involved.

Our HOA is now 23 years old and still just as easy going and FUN as it was when first created (I was involved with the building of the subdivision many years ago long before I purchased land and "entered" the HOA). Yes we have rules (cars must be tagged and operational if outside, can't block roads, house can't look like it's out of a 70's cartoon, no farm animals....) but the rule were in place prior to me buying the property and I approved of them then and still do today.

My neighbor bought a "cough-used-cough" RV a few weeks ago. He plans to strip it down and do a complete overhaul (I suggest using dynamite as it looks beyond repair) for when he retires in a few years. This thing was brought in on a roll back as it has flat/rotten tires, the front has NO siding so it's exposed furring strips and insulation hanging out, and looks like it sat under a maple syrup plant dripping on it for years. He parked it Front & Center of his house on the MAIN road for all to see and "enjoy". For a day or two it was no big deal as I was confident it was going to be moved/removed at any moment. It didn't move for a week but fortunately the President of the HOA happens to live directly across from that neighbor. I saw them having a conversation, walking around the RV looking, pointing and a lot of head shaking.... the next morning the RV was moved into my neighbors basement and out of sight. Come to find out, he was intending to leave it like that on the main road in full view of everyone until spring so he could source parts and get his ducks in a row for the rebuild. Negative LOL!

In stark contrast, there is another community directly across the hill from ours (thank goodness the hill is a visual and audible buffer)... it's 15 years younger and has no HOA. Even at 400' AGL you can tell a marked difference between a "Community Ran" housing area and a "free for all" housing area. The neighboring community literally has cars sitting ON cars, RV's parked in their community road half disassembled, litter and trash on the roads, in the yards, and spewed out in almost every place you can toss your old fast food litter. One of the homes has a "storage building" (I use that word loosely) that is literally old wooden pallets stacked and 2 tarps (one blue and one silver) as the roof. It currently has the remains of a fallen bradford pear tree connecting the "Roof" to the ground and has been there since late last fall. To say it's an eye sore is grossly understating it.

My HOA may be on one end of the spectrum for a GOOD HOA and the community across the hill from us is definitely the OTHER end of the spectrum for a nonHOA community but it does demonstrate the potential benefits of living in a community with some rules and standards.

Yes an HOA does have some restrictions/limitations but for some people that's worth the increase in aesthetics, pleasures, cleanliness, and over all condition of the community as a whole. Not all HOAs are horrible just like not all HOAs are as easy going and a pleasure as the one I live in. You can't paint them all with the same broad/wide brush.
All that might be fine and dandy for some, but if I go spend a few hundred thousand dollars on a home, NO ONE is going to tell me what color I can paint my mailbox!! And as far as living in a "community" , thats not for me either,

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000