DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is Remote Control remapping possible?

siroismi

Reactions
I have been flying for about three years now. First with a MP and for 18 months now with a M2P. My main interest is videography/photography. Have been lurking on this forum for a couple of years, but this my first posting.
I suffered from a table saw injury 6 weeks ago and got left index and middle finger complete amputation. They were both reimplanted succesfully, but joint damage will restrict mobility and digital nerve recovery remains to be seen in the next few months. Hard work in therapy in the next months will no matter what leave some restrictions.
Gimbal control which uses left index, or in a pinch left middle finger will be near impossible. A serious problem for videography.
After reading a thread last week where it was discussed how to use DJI Assistant to do a remapping of the RC it is possible to change the flight mode control and switch S,P, or T to ATTI, I'm wondering if it is possible to switch the gimbal control dial from left hand side to right, and vice versa. If not by simple programing, would it be possible to physically modify the RC. I such case I would be willing to send it out and have it modify.
Any advises will be appreciated. I would hate to give up one of my favorite hobby.
Thanks in advance

I have been flying for about three years now. First with a MP and for 18 months now with a M2P. My main interest is videography/photography. Have been lurking on this forum for a couple of years, but this my first posting.
I suffered from a table saw injury 6 weeks ago and got left index and middle finger complete amputation. They were both reimplanted succesfully, but joint damage will restrict mobility and digital nerve recovery remains to be seen in the next few months. Hard work in therapy in the next months will no matter what leave some restrictions.
Gimbal control which uses left index, or in a pinch left middle finger will be near impossible. A serious problem for videography.
After reading a thread last week where it was discussed how to use DJI Assistant to do a remapping of the RC it is possible to change the flight mode control and switch S,P, or T to ATTI, I'm wondering if it is possible to switch the gimbal control dial from left hand side to right, and vice versa. If not by simple programing, would it be possible to physically modify the RC. I such case I would be willing to send it out and have it modify.
Any advises will be appreciated. I would hate to give up one of my favorite hobby.
Thanks in advance
No this isn’t possible.

You have gimbal travel contol using the touch screen , just touch and drag vertically over the slider near the red button.

Thanks guys for replies.

lannes: you are right, but while filming video this would not allow smooth uninterrupted motion. Thanks anyway.

Should be achievable via Assistant 2 (I think there are button mapping parameters exposed), but if not that then definitely the DJI SDK can do this - although you'd have to integrate it into your own app...
Your goal is just to switch the dial that controls gimbal tilt?

Great! That gives me hope. I will look into that.
Yes, that is correct. What I would need is to switch the function of the two dials, ie left to right, right to left. I’ll see if I can figure out how to do that.
Thanks!

Great! That gives me hope. I will look into that.
Yes, that is correct. What I would need is to switch the function of the two dials, ie left to right, right to left. I’ll see if I can figure out how to do that.
Thanks!

I think DJI has blocked the developer mode with the latest versions of DJI Assistant 2, but maybe you can reach out to their support to help out

Unless you get the source code for a the DJI Go 4, you will have to write a new controller from scratch for whatever device you are using, to control the drone through the DJI api. This is a pretty major undertaking, and testing the resultant software on your drone will risk crashes.

Unless you get the source code for a the DJI Go 4, you will have to write a new controller from scratch for whatever device you are using, to control the drone through the DJI api. This is a pretty major undertaking, and testing the resultant software on your drone will risk crashes.

Thanks for the info. Indeed, that seems to be over my head. I was hoping this could have been done with just changing a few things using the DJI ASSISTANT, like it is done for modifying the flight mode button. I guess it was wishful thinking on my side. I really don't wont to give up this hobby..

Here is an answer to one of your questions. Remapping the S, P, or T to ATTI mode. I have remapped the T to ATTI. Works well. Good luck on the rest of your project.

Reactions: Steve LaBranche
FWIW DJi sample apps are freely available.
While they are not DJi go you can fly the Ac with them. I built the android version with android studio and it worked.

Thanks in advance
It would not be easy but is definately doable. The pots that are used have a standard 3 wire configuration. Check the video at about 9 mins in to see them being unplugged. All one needs to do is lengthen the wires and connect them to the opposite sides. If you find someone tech savy enough, a switch could be added to swap them back and forth at will.

Use the mindset, never problems, only solutions...

Reactions: ff22 and brett8883
It would not be easy but is definately doable. The pots that are used have a standard 3 wire configuration. Check the video at about 9 mins in to see them being unplugged. All one needs to do is lengthen the wires and connect them to the opposite sides. If you find someone tech savy enough, a switch could be added to swap them back and forth at will.

there ya go

Reactions: brettbrandon
A little out of the box suggestion. You can use the head gimbal tracking feature in the DJI goggles to control the gimbal while flying. In this mode the camera gimbal follows the movement of your head.

WOWWWW! Thanks a million! That is exactly what I was hoping for.
For now I will concentrated and work overtime with my therapist and maybe avoid doing this conversion. But If needed, now I got this to fall back on. Plus I now exactly where to get this done. Thanks again.

Thank you everybody for your great responses and ideas. This forum is amazing!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock