DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is Smart Control limited to 1080p when controller-free?

Travisimo

Reactions
Today, I tried out the Smart Control feature without the controller by double-pressing the button on the back of the Mavic Air and then using my hand gestures to control it. I was able to capture video footage and photos using the gestures, but for some reason the video footage was recorded at 1080p. Now obviously there is no way to change the video settings without the app/controller, so I just assumed it would default to the last video setting (which I had set to 4k/30).

So am I doing something wrong, or is the Smart Control without controller/app feature limited to 1080p/30 video recording? And if so, does anyone know why?

Thanks.

does anyone know why?
No, but that's how it works as of today. If you want to shoot in 4K, you'll need to switch back to 4K in the DJI GO app after enabling that flight mode (which of course means you'll need to use the app).

That's a bummer! Is that confirmed? You have to enable smart capture in the app and set video to 4k, otherwise it defaults to1080p? If so that takes away a lot of the appeal of starting up smart capture without using the app and controller.

You say it needs 60fps for tracking, but then why can you use active track at all when shooting in 4k? Do you mean the 60fps is needed just to initiate the more precise tracking of hand gestures? But then why can you switch to another person using their own gestures while shooting in 4k?

If you're launching and flying without the controller, I think it's reasonable to assume that you're taking "snapshots" rather than serious imaging. So HD is a perfectly good default, IMHO.
Did you make any still photos while it was flying controller-free? That'd be interesting, too.

If you're launching and flying without the controller, I think it's reasonable to assume that you're taking "snapshots" rather than serious imaging. So HD is a perfectly good default, IMHO.
Did you make any still photos while it was flying controller-free? That'd be interesting, too.

Although there may be a technical limitation of shooting higher than 1080p when using Smart Capture without a controller, I don't buy the assumption that you're taking "snapshots" argument. I used Smart Capture to have my Air follow me around the part yesterday and I would have loved to have the footage in 4k. I have no problem with it defaulting to 1080p, but it's not just a default - it's a limitation since there is no way to change it. Even if you initiate Smart Capture from the app when connected to the controller, it still switches to 1080p with no option to increase resolution, so it must either be a hardware limitation OR a conscientious decision on DJI's part to limit it. What's worse is that when you are finished shooting in Smart Capture mode, it STAYS at 1080p, even if you were in 4k/2k beforehand. I ran into that problem a couple of times because I almost always shoot in 4k/2k, but did not realize it stays in 1080p when finishing Smart Capture. They definitely could at least change that...

Although there may be a technical limitation of shooting higher than 1080p when using Smart Capture without a controller, I don't buy the assumption that you're taking "snapshots" argument. I used Smart Capture to have my Air follow me around the part yesterday and I would have loved to have the footage in 4k. I have no problem with it defaulting to 1080p, but it's not just a default - it's a limitation since there is no way to change it. Even if you initiate Smart Capture from the app when connected to the controller, it still switches to 1080p with no option to increase resolution, so it must either be a hardware limitation OR a conscientious decision on DJI's part to limit it. What's worse is that when you are finished shooting in Smart Capture mode, it STAYS at 1080p, even if you were in 4k/2k beforehand. I ran into that problem a couple of times because I almost always shoot in 4k/2k, but did not realize it stays in 1080p when finishing Smart Capture. They definitely could at least change that...

Yes I had the same problem where the video resolution back to 1080p as default. The reason I upgrading Mavic Air from Spark is because the 4K features.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joel_du05