DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the Mavic 3 a better choice over an Air 2S? For professionals, for hobbyists?

Is the Mavic 3 a better choice over an Air 2S? For professionals, for hobbyists?

• Yes for professionals

• No for professionals

• Maybe for professionals

• Yes for hobbyists

• No for hobbyists

• Maybe for hobbyists

Results are only viewable after voting.
IMO the advantages of the M3, until you get to the $5k cine package are minimal compared to the Air2s. The Air2s only has a fixed f2.8 aperture, but that can be overcome with ND filters. The zoomed images I've seen from the Air2s have been quite impressive in spite of being digital. Can we stipulate that the flight characteristics of the M3, the Air2s and the M2 are pretty similar?

Yes the M3 has a 4/3 sensor which is an advantage in low light, but modern noise removal techniques mitigate that to an extent. Does the Air2s have the same low light capability as the M2P? If so, I would think that the M3's improvement wouldn't be shockingly better. Perhaps noticeably better. But $1000-$3000 better?

Perhaps a real reason for DJI pricing is DJI baking REAL inflation into the cake now rather than raising prices later? 6.2% inflation (in the US) as per government, but we all know REAL inflation is MUCH higher.

I think Air2S is great for hobbyist without spending all their money. It’s really up to individual preference though. Some will find the improved obstacle avoidance helpful, especially for a newer flyer. I haven’t flown the Air2S so I’m not sure how the obstacle avoidance differs and if it’s worth it to upgrade.
I don't really use obstacle avoidance. Apparently the A2s includes upward facing sensors to avoid obstacles. But in the end what really makes it worth the upgrade is the 1 inch camera sensor. It also has master shots and some other programable features missing in the MA2.

Reactions: arasmus
My issue with the Air2S is the camera. Being a fixed 2.8 aperture with a smaller sensor didn't give me the confidence for my work. I have watched dozens of reviews over the past few days and it's unanimous the new camera in the Mavic 3 is better than any Mavic so far for both stills and video. If I didn't make a living with my images, I'd go with the Air2S for sure.

I've bought one, 'warts and all'. I bought a P3P in 2016, a Pro in 2016, a Mini1 in 2020, a second-hand Air2 in 2021. I'm a pensioner that's still working, and have no mortgage and an understanding wife (there'll be quid pro quo on that...) I don't need any of them, except my Eachine H8 (to keep me sharp..) I have no doubt that January's upgrade will be amazing. DJI will have an army of software engineers on the case. Arrival date is the 16th, and I'm like a child waiting for Christmas..

Air 2 s is a very nice drone. It is fast and nimble. The camera 8x zoom plus long flight times and a relatively low cost.
The big huge downside has been FW just like the M3.

P

Do you know what the problem with this thread is? All the talk about the DJI Air 2s caused me to go out and buy the DJI Air 2s!! The drone addiction is real. The Air 2s is amazing so far. The photos are richer in color and detail than my Air 2. It also seems faster in "N" mode. It might be my imagination but it also feels more nimble than the Air 2. The yaw seems crisper and the acceleration much quicker.

I put it straight up from my home last night to check out the lights. It stands out more than my Air 2. The aft lights blink green and red repeatedly while it is solid green up front. A much better light show than the Air 2.

But the camera is way better and fun to experiment with and compare. I have taken identical hovering photos with the Air 2 and the Air 2s. The 2s shots are so much better.

Do you know what the problem with this thread is? All the talk about the DJI Air 2s caused me to go out and buy the DJI Air 2s!! The drone addiction is real. The Air 2s is amazing so far. The photos are richer in color and detail than my Air 2. It also seems faster in "N" mode. It might be my imagination but it also feels more nimble than the Air 2. The yaw seems crisper and the acceleration much quicker.

I put it straight up from my home last night to check out the lights. It stands out more than my Air 2. The aft lights blink green and red repeatedly while it is solid green up front. A much better light show than the Air 2.

But the camera is way better and fun to experiment with and compare. I have taken identical hovering photos with the Air 2 and the Air 2s. The 2s shots are so much better.
The problem is these companies that think it is ok to release a product that is not finished. People a soooo “greedy” ,for lack of a better term, that they are willing to put up with it. I would do the same as you if I was in the market for a new drone. When are people going to do like you and buy a good, complete product and pass over doing the testing and such that dji should have done before release? I always thought Beta tester meant they get a free rig or a discount in order to put up with the product being in testing and you being the guinea pig, not pay full price and deal with an incomplete product just for the “I have the coolest new gadget” factor.

Wise choice going with the Air2s instead of a testing platform for a camera that is bound to damage the gimbal in the smallest of crashes. That thing is WAY too big and fragile. How about instead of some fancy new features dji builds a gimbal that can handle a slight crash a bit better?

Mike

Reactions: AVLJMA
The problem is these companies that think it is ok to release a product that is not finished. People a soooo “greedy” ,for lack of a better term, that they are willing to put up with it. I would do the same as you if I was in the market for a new drone. When are people going to do like you and buy a good, complete product and pass over doing the testing and such that dji should have done before release? I always thought Beta tester meant they get a free rig or a discount in order to put up with the product being in testing and you being the guinea pig, not pay full price and deal with an incomplete product just for the “I have the coolest new gadget” factor.

Wise choice going with the Air2s instead of a testing platform for a camera that is bound to damage the gimbal in the smallest of crashes. That thing is WAY too big and fragile. How about instead of some fancy new features dji builds a gimbal that can handle a slight crash a bit better?

Mike
Maybe to rely on not crashing would be a better angle than grumbling about potential fragility. I would imagine most crashes are down to user error. It could be made a lot more durable in crashes, but may lose 20 minutes flight time, I know which I'd go for. I trimmed a bush with my P3P 5 years ago, but not pranged since.

Reactions: AVLJMA
Maybe to rely on not crashing would be a better angle than grumbling about potential fragility. I would imagine most crashes are down to user error. It could be made a lot more durable in crashes, but may lose 20 minutes flight time, I know which I'd go for. I trimmed a bush with my P3P 5 years ago, but not pranged since.
I wish everyone was as good of a pilot as you. I think a lot of folks would love to see a more durable gimbal assmbly. Seems like that has been the weak point of most dji folding models from what I see and experience. Are other manufacturers drone gimbals just as fragile?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez