DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the Mavic Pro supposed to get that hot?

Dosp416

Reactions
my new Mavic Pro gets way hot to the touch on the underside; I’m still in the process of simply setting it up and a few minutes in its so warm that I’m worried about it.

Is this normal?

It gets warm to the touch but not so hot you can't touch it. Do you hear the cooling fan come on after it's been on a couple of minutes?

Reactions: Rogat19
The bottom of the Mavic is just one big heat-sink. That's where it dissipates most of its heat. I have found, when it's just sitting on a table, put a fan in front of it to help keep it cool.

It gets warm to the touch but not so hot you can't touch it. Do you hear the cooling fan come on after it's been on a couple of minutes?

I have not heard any fan come on; I’m still trying to set it up so it hasn’t been on really long yet. Figured I’d turn it off but it was on for a few minutes before it got “that” hot. Course I’m new so I don’t want to take the chances, you know

It has a thermal shutdown to protect itself as I found out when I had a fan issue
You will notice when the fan kicks in as its very audible when sat in a house

I have not heard any fan come on; I’m still trying to set it up so it hasn’t been on really long yet. Figured I’d turn it off but it was on for a few minutes before it got “that” hot. Course I’m new so I don’t want to take the chances, you know
Even sitting on the kitchen table without the motors spinning the cooling fan on mine comes on after a couple of minutes. If your fan isn't coming on, that's probably what's causing your overheating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saratoga
Mine does the same, within a few mins the fan is blaring out. As above, it's LOUD, you'll not miss it.

Make sure the heatsink has air under it, don't set the Mavic up on your bed for example.

Reactions: genesimmons
There is a black metal screen between the fan's intake and the camera. Make sure the screen isn't touching the hub of the fan or it can't start. I had this problem and bought a new fan thinking that the fan had failed. After opening the Mavic to replace the fan I discovered the real problem.

my new Mavic Pro gets way hot to the touch on the underside; I’m still in the process of simply setting it up and a few minutes in its so warm that I’m worried about it.

Is this normal?

The underside of my Mavic Pro gets surprisingly hot if it is sitting on the carpet while I'm trying to figure something out on the Remote. As others have mentioned the fan will kick in once it gets to a certain temp.
Of course when the MP is out and about in the air it runs much cooler.

The fan could have sucked some carpet fibers into the front screen and blocking the air flow. Also, the heat sink on the bottom wouldn't be getting enough air flow to keep it cool.

Reactions: Chirp
I just received my new Mavic Pro Platinum tonight. I charged up the batteries, and powered it on, preparing to register it and get it ready to fly for tomorrow. I got a "System Error" on the screen, and picked up the Mavic, and nearly burned my hand on the heatsink, it was so hot! It was sitting on a cardboard box, so it shouldn't have a cooling issue. It is only 70 degrees F in my house. The heat sink was so hot, I was worried that it may have damaged the unit. The only fan I heard come on was in the RC. No fan came on in the aircraft. Could it have a problem? I read Walt Rush's posting about the fan hub being jammed against the black metal screen, and can't tell if that is my problem, or not. It is brand-new, never been flown. And it has this problem out of the box? What a drag...

Reactions: Robert Hingston
I'm really feeling that this drone is not so cool when we fly it in warm and hot country... I have heating problems too.. But its cold now here in Canada.. So it helps cool down the heat sink for now...

When Im just setting it up and configuring it... I just leave it outside -10 c. On its helepad, no wind no snow..I also remove the gimbal cover..make sure no metals under or beside it. It interfer with the calibration.. So concrete may have metals inside.. And put the helepad platform on the leveled surface..

I fly only from 0c or 32f -> above and not windy... DJI advice us not to fly it when in negative temperature.. Enjoy
..[emoji106]

Last edited:
Just in case anyone is interested, I haven't had a heating problem since my initial one indoors. As long as I turn on the Mavic outdoors, it never gets so hot that I can't hold my hand on the heatsink underside. This is a good thing!

Reactions: faceplant
Just in case anyone is interested, I haven't had a heating problem since my initial one indoors. As long as I turn on the Mavic outdoors, it never gets so hot that I can't hold my hand on the heatsink underside. This is a good thing!
After flying and land, with the MP just sitting there, battery still on, after a few minutes, can you hear the MP fan kick in. Also, when sitting inside, with the MP turned on you should hear the fan kick in. if you don't you have a problem.

My craft gets hot on occasion. It’s meant to be flown. I was impressed with the heat sink, cooling fan, and intake and exhaust ports. The battery also gets warm/hot depending on its discharge level. I think someone on this forum received an overheat warning (a first I guess).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S