DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the mini 2 worth an extra £200 for a beginner?

Wind: Its part of almost every flight your going to take , there fore it will be your biggest battle , it will be constant and relentless. It will threaten your Drone, Your Battery and your Props .

Thank fully the Mini 2 came along and allowed people to make some better choices and not have to worry about a perfect day.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain , and land on the Water.

Hi

I’ve never owned a drone, live in the UK and wanted to dip my toe in the water. I’m nervous about how much use I will get from a drone (don’t know until I try) and about crashing/losing it!
I would love the Mini 2 but I can get the fly more combo mini for £200 less than the same combo for the Mini 2. Is it really worth so much more and would I be disappointed with the original mini?
See if you can get one that is used from an "impulse buyer" who wants out. I saved myself £150 buying one locally that was advertised on FB Market. Just remember Caveat Emptor and take your time.

When you run into the shortcomings of the DJI Fly app and want to upgrade to Litchi app and add something like waypoint missions to your Mini 2 you can't. The Mini can, it is supported in Litchi. If you plan on taking your drone on 6 day backpack hikes, the Mini 2's batteries will self discharge before you get to use them, the Mini's won't, it uses Li-ion chemistry compared to the Mini 2's Li-po chemistry.
As for lack of 'obstacle avoidance' on both Mini's, I prefer to look and think where I fly, even if only using the camera the drone is equipped with. Obstacle avoidance is not nearly foolproof and the false sense of security it provides is many a drone's downfall, excuse the pun.
I've had my Mini for 3 months now, logged 22 hours and 96 miles with it and am still very happy with it. The low cost of the Mini allowed me freedom to experiment and learn without fear as a new drone pilot. I kept telling myself; 'If I crash it I'll buy another one,' and 'if I get bored with it I'll store it away until one day.' Needless to say, the drone bug bit hard and fast and the only thing I regretted afterwards was not getting the Fly-more combo right from the start because I ended up buying the extras anyway.
The simplicity and lack of tech of the Mini forced me to learn and understand a lot of the physics, electronics and software involved to get the most out of the Mini. This knowledge will serve me well when and if I upgrade to a more sophisticated drone and when I do, I'll keep the Mini for the 'rough and nasty' missions :)
The promised contribution on my first impressions of the Mavic Mini.

Reactions: maelstrom
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078