DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the mini 2 worth it??

Flyhighsky

Reactions
I've been flying a couple years now,just for fun. I have two Parrot Bebop2 power editions and a Mavic mini..also had a Phantom 3 SE I sold a while ago. I've been thinking about selling my Bebop's and getting a Mini 2. I like the Mavic Mini because it's a lot smaller/lighter than the bebops,flies a bit farther,has a better camera ( Bebop has great video but "still" pics are fisheye photo's) The Bebop has a limited internal memory for vid's (7g's) unless you do the external memory upgrade (basically an upload from the web where you can then plug a SD card into the back with adapter to the usb port) The Bebop's are "old" technology..FAA can't monitor where your flying from,when,where as they can now do with new drones. If I try flying my Mavic Mini from my deck I keep getting warnings because I'm about 3 miles (as the crow fly's) from a local municipal airport ( very small airport no big planes) and at times it won't let me launch,where I can with the bebop. Yes the bop's need to be registered (500g's) and DJI doesn't.

I've been flying a couple years now,just for fun. ... If I try flying my Mavic Mini from my deck I keep getting warnings because I'm about 3 miles (as the crow fly's) from a local municipal airport ( very small airport no big planes) and at times it won't let me launch,where I can with the bebop.
Have you tried using LAANC for clearance? ... or contacted FAA.
My practice area is overlapped by both a municipal (private and charter, has a tower) and a regional airport (commercial jet and prop as well as charter and private). I contacted FAA and got a three year clearance to fly in this 4-5 square mile area. Takes a few days, but easy.

It sounded to me that he wasn't in controlled airspace, but was within a DJI enhanced warning zone and other times also within an authorization zone. DJI often incorporates authorization zones in runway approach paths even for airports in G airspace.

But to his question: if you're going to do any trading, sounds like you'd trade the Mini for a Mini 2. You could also consider the MA2.

Reactions: Flyhighsky
Not sure I understand the issue or problem or hesitation.
I am 1.3 miles from the runway of a local airport, but not in line with it, off to a 45 degree angle.
I called the tower, and asked if they would be comfortable with me flying up to 200 feet, and
they said they would have no issue at all with that. (The planes are supposed to stay above 500,
and my arbitrary choice of 200 feet gives me a 300 foot buffer. Some of the planes cheat a little
over my hill, so I did not want to go to 400 feet here.)
The recent mini 2 firmware , when I start auto-takeoff, will pop up a warning box cautioning that
I am in an authorization zone, and ask me if I have permission (I do), and if I agree to abide by all
rules and safety regs. I check those boxes and it lets me take off. You do not need to use a desktop
PC and do the online request (but you can do that also if you wish).
You can get it right on the controller/phone, the moment you want to fly.

Also, the clarity and range of the video on the mini 2 blows the original mini right off
the flight deck. The power of the mini 2 also blows the orginal mini away.
It's hard not to like it. The ultimate starter drone too.

Neal

Reactions: raymairjr
Authorization zones usually also need you to enter a mobile phone number to text you so as to prove you're a human. App needs internet before any of it can begin.

The desktop issue is if you want to set up an unlock for a future date and location rather on the spot real time.

By the way, the map view can show you what zone(s) you're in. Blue authorization zone will disappear once you unlock them.

Short answer, yes it is definitely worth it as long as you don’t plan on using sport mode too often as there is a lot of Gimbal jumping

I've been flying a couple years now,just for fun. I have two Parrot Bebop2 power editions and a Mavic mini..also had a Phantom 3 SE I sold a while ago. I've been thinking about selling my Bebop's and getting a Mini 2. I like the Mavic Mini because it's a lot smaller/lighter than the bebops,flies a bit farther,has a better camera ( Bebop has great video but "still" pics are fisheye photo's) The Bebop has a limited internal memory for vid's (7g's) unless you do the external memory upgrade (basically an upload from the web where you can then plug a SD card into the back with adapter to the usb port) The Bebop's are "old" technology..FAA can't monitor where your flying from,when,where as they can now do with new drones. If I try flying my Mavic Mini from my deck I keep getting warnings because I'm about 3 miles (as the crow fly's) from a local municipal airport ( very small airport no big planes) and at times it won't let me launch,where I can with the bebop. Yes the bop's need to be registered (500g's) and DJI doesn't.
I owned the Mavic Mini ang now have the MM2. Yes, it’s worth upgrading.

Another short answer about the MM2, good to go, lots of improvements.
Major improvement is with the Ocusync 2.0 transmission system, where as MM1 signal was more prone to interference from high wife areas, it was not equipped with the Ocusync transmission system. Many of MM1 on the market now, still selling at around $300.00, most people are new pilots and do not know the MM2 is much, much better.

If I try flying my Mavic Mini from my deck I keep getting warnings because I'm about 3 miles (as the crow fly's) from a local municipal airport ( very small airport no big planes) and at times it won't let me launch,where I can with the bebop.
Upgrading to the Mini 2 won't resolve that issue, but you'll likely find it's worth it since you like your Mavic Mini. The Mini 2 looks a lot like the Mavic Mini, but it's night and day when you compare the features.

Reactions: SpitFire
Reactions: raymairjr
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143