DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there “ anywhere “ I can fly my drones legally?? Seems everywhere is off limits [emoji37]

Yep, like davidzimagery, I live on a farm surrounded by "boring" corn fields. I enjoy flying over creeks, country roads, ponds, and even a few barns (!) The thing is: every single time I fly, I discover something new. This afternoon's flight was no exception:

Expect surprises and they'll happen.

I waited to see the video this morning - GONE!

thanks for the info

Chirst Aussie Oldtimer .... I ( Mod Removed ) near spat coffee all over my keyboard!

To the O.P. try this

Pay your money and get certified as in Part 107 I think they call it in the U.S. like I did here.

Then get a big bright Yellow high Vis jacket and have it stenciled in BIG letters with "C.A.S.A. Certified Remote Pilot" A.R.N. xxxxxxxxx KEEP CLEAR DURING OPERATIONS" (change it out for F.A.A. for you of course)

and go about your business of flying following your standard operating conditions. If any police or anyone tries to approach then tell them they are breaching regulations by being so close, that they have no jurisdiction and please back away.

Works for me. Of course it happens to be true.

Regards
Dec
yeah... I always wanted to be a paraplegic!

I concur.... I try to keep out of sight, away from people, whenever I fly. If there is an area I want to shoot, I'll find a location away from prying eyes to set up in. Take advantage of the Mavic's range and duration to do some 'stand-off' shooting.

i fly where i please to.
lucky for me that is away from others and no airports around. or “nfz, tfr” around me. except the quarry. dji says x but all the maps say other.
waiting for a reply from that airport mangment,
paved, no tower. three maps, gps, google earth says i am more than 5 miles away. but dji gives a warning.

Tampa area is a bit of a challenge, parks claim its a liability issue, but no problems in Hernando and Pasco.
Although by me in Hernando, controlled airspace went overboard for a regional airport. But closer to or west of US 19, it's all G. Even met some other DJI fliers at some parks by me. One guy was debating flying his P4P at the beach due to somewhat high winds but when he saw how stable my M2 was, he decided to fly.

yeah... I always wanted to be a paraplegic!

You don't deal with bullies by placating them and here in Australia C.A.S.A. are responsible for enforcing the regulations not petty local government or the police. I will admit that here in Australia our police do not have the reputation for over stepping their authority and brutalising / shooting you out of hand that they do in some other parts of the world so I can understand your caution!

I (sadly) have had to master the art of telling Police and Local council tyrants in a non confontational but politely confident manner that "I'm not a recreational pilot and as a C.A.S.A. certified Remote Pilot it is my obligation to be more aware of all the legislation at a greater level than they are" and they "might like to check in with their superior before doing something that may dramatically effect their career path and I'll be happy to stand right here while they do so".

So far so good (said the jumper the jumper as he passed the 47th floor)

As I said above however, I might not be quite so sanguine in other parts of the world.

With all the bad press happening world wide this is something we're going to have to deal with increasingly. The answer is to be sure of your rights, don't do anything that *can* get you nicked and stand your ground firmly but politely. If we start cow towing to negative public sentiment we're all screwed and we might as well get a new pass time now.

Regards
Ari

Last edited:
I travel with my drone every week, usually checking the local rules can help out a lot. I found a cool app while flying in Lisbon that shows where you can fly and how high you can fly. It's called Voa no boa, the tough part is the app is in the local Language. Yes London is like a huge no fly zone but most of Europe is no problem, most major cities say no flying in the city but anywhere outside is fine. Madrid was the only place I found where they fine you for flying in the city.

Attachments

• A49B8878-E64D-489E-BC1F-515A45793360.jpeg
    A49B8878-E64D-489E-BC1F-515A45793360.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 22
When i meet people and speak about drones (mavic 2 zoom) they say bad things about drones and that they should be forbidden. Then I show them my drone and let them fly a little and look into the screen and they all get excited and it ends up that they too would love to have one. yes it is dangerous with a drone if it falls down in a crowded place etc. But who is interested to fly over other people heads? In Sweden we have places we can not fly like airport, prisons, bigger cities, security places, military but otherwise no problem. Oh max altitude 120 meter and distans of 500 meters. I could fly further away but I would rater want to se it as far as possible unless I am know the place.

I myself want to fly in Israel. You need two permissions which you have to get before you go. Max 50 meters altitude. Well I suppose if you go to the Negev near dead sea and Sde Boker (Arava) You could get wonderful pictures. I can not wait until I leave for Israel in the summer. I love to take from new perspectives and it does not need to always to be high.

I ran into that when I first got mine then found a few places including my own town.

OK guys due to reports I have cleaned this thread as best as I could.
Warnings issued and do stay civil in this and do keep in mind before
you post our Community Rules .

Then get a big bright Yellow high Vis jacket and have it stenciled in BIG letters with "C.A.S.A. Certified Remote Pilot" A.R.N. xxxxxxxxx KEEP CLEAR DURING OPERATIONS" (change it out for F.A.A. for you of course)

and go about your business of flying following your standard operating conditions. If any police or anyone tries to approach then tell them they are breaching regulations by being so close, that they have no jurisdiction and please back away.

That might work in Australia but in the US wearing a cute little vest you bought off eBay doesn't make you immune to the law or shield you from talking to police officers.

That might work in Australia but in the US wearing a cute little vest you bought off eBay doesn't make you immune to the law or shield you from talking to police officers.

Really? In this country we do not even have a bill of rights, we have no constitutional right to freedom of speech and the only right enshrined in our constitution is to "freedom of religion". You are right, we don't have immunity of speaking to police... no 5th ammendment. We can't decline a request to search our vehicles, we can't insist on our constitutional rights and yet I seem to get bye just fine. You are seeing but not reading, I'm not claiming "immunity" from the law. I'm insisting on the rights that having certified under those laws give me.

Recreational pilots have rights also, not those I may have but they should not surrender one inch of those rights.

It's not the yellow vest that means anything, it's the qualifications, and knowledge both aeronautical and in aeronautical law it advertises that protects me, it doesn't make me IMMUNE, it stipulates my qualification to do as I am doing and like it or lump it officers both governmental and of the law are (supposedly) as bound by those legal principles as you or I are .... and with all your much vaunted "freedoms" you aren't safe? Methinks the problem lies with your implementation of the principle rather than the principle itself.

Regards
Ari

I'm disappointed that National Park Service has taken such a hard stance on drones. Several states have followed suit with their parks. What is left are National Forests and local parks. I've had my best luck just along highways or adjacent to interesting places. With a little bit of scouting ahead of time you can find interesting subjects away from the crowds.

and with all your much vaunted "freedoms" you aren't safe?

I'm quite "safe" thanks. But wearing a dimestore plastic vest that anyone can buy doesn't mean I get to tell a cop he has no jurisdiction to question me or that he's not allowed to even approach me. Good luck with that in Oz, too.

I'm quite "safe" thanks. But wearing a dimestore plastic vest that anyone can buy doesn't mean I get to tell a cop he has no jurisdiction to question me or that he's not allowed to even approach me. Good luck with that in Oz, too.

Yes I can buy the "dimestore plastic vest" as you want to call it on eBay .. I didn't but I'm sure you could. Mine were ordered from the local pilots shop along with my other high vis clothing for myself and other crew.

The Aviation reference number and certification for the pilot and ReOC accredited registered business name stenciled on it can't be bought however, they can only be earned, at quite some considerable expense and effort. They can be checked by the local Police from the comfort of their patrol car against the Commonwealth register I'm sure but like it or not, the Australian Government have appointed C.A.S.A. as the sole body in charge of enforcing aviation law so I don't have to tell the police that unless I am in breach of some other ordinance not flying related they have no jurisdiction ... they don't and as R.P.A. are becoming more mainstream they are starting to know this. It's a new(ish) field and a learning curve for everyone.

Oh yes, they can question me, they should not approach me while I'm in the air and can speak to the ground crew and they have to be 30m (100ft) clear while I land and shut down but after that I am happy to and do most compliantly answer their questions "In a non confrontational but quietly confident manner". I said that before in a previous post in this thread, you obviously missed that part as I posted several times.

So I don't need luck in Oz as long as I get the facts right and .. as "Chief Pilot" for the company that's part of the job description.

Being a "Well known member" and with the post count you have I'm assuming you're part 107 (and I'm not having a shot if you're not, I've just noticed most of the big enthusiasts there are doing part 107). Surely it can't be that much different in the U.S. with the F.A.A. being the certifying and governing body?

Regards
Ari

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming