DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there “ anywhere “ I can fly my drones legally?? Seems everywhere is off limits [emoji37]

Being a "Well known member" and with the post count you have I'm assuming you're part 107 (and I'm not having a shot if you're not, I've just noticed most of the big enthusiasts there are doing part 107). Surely it can't be that much different in the U.S. with the F.A.A. being the certifying and governing body?

It is very different here, which is why advising forum members in the U.S. to follow what may or may not be normal in Australia is reckless.

Most police here probably don't even know what Part 107 means, and they can't just look up your information with the FAA on the spot. And they're going to have jurisdiction over your personal activity on the ground, especially if you're on public property, regardless of whether a drone is involved.

And most people here don't have a "ground crew" to deal with law enforcement for them while they're flying, at least not on anything except a major professional job.

It is very different here, which is why advising forum members in the U.S. to follow what may or may not be normal in Australia is reckless.

Most police here probably don't even know what Part 107 means, and they can't just look up your information with the FAA on the spot. And they're going to have jurisdiction over your personal activity on the ground, especially if you're on public property, regardless of whether a drone is involved.

And most people here don't have a "ground crew" to deal with law enforcement for them while they're flying, at least not on anything except a major professional job.

Yes this has been amusing, "officer can't you see my vest, what are you doing in my 100', circle, back off!" :)
After the psych eval...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Salty

Most police here probably don't even know what Part 107 means

Yes this has been amusing, "officer can't you see my vest, back off!" :)

Why is it that people are so selective in what they want to quote or read?

In my first post the FIRST thing I suggested was that the O.P. obtain his part 107 and continue operating under his SOCs (standard operating conditions) the same as I do but at no time did I comment on what Standard Operating Conditions ARE in the U.S. or advise people to follow Australian regulations, further in a follow up post I urged people to "be sure of their ground".

Of course, the vocal minority who want to "play the man and not the ball" disregard all of that and just focus on the follow up suggestion "yellow vest" comment because that makes easy meat for the keyboard warrior brigade. Also for the record, I have a ground crew on less than 5% of jobs, only where crowd wrangling is going to be an issue.

In the U.S. as here qualifications exist, if you hold those qualifications (which was the first thing I advised the O.P. obtain) then they impose certain responsibilities and also give you certain privileges which no "Sherriff B.T. Justice" can over ride because federal law trumps state law....... I don't know most of what they are in the U.S. and I don't need to, that's your responsibility if you want to persue your passtime in your country but if you want to "roll over a show your belly" and let your hobby be dismantled piece by piece through inaction, not my problem.

If your local police do not know what a part 107 is then they should and it's YOUR civic responsibility to tell him or her. Non confrontationally and politely.

I advised using "non confrontational and polite methods" when dealing with Authorities, it usually works but not always of course. I've accompanied the nice officer down to the station peaceably and waited patiently while he made an utter fool of himself and then graciously accepted the apology and gone on my way. Word gets around the precinct you know. If you're not prepared to do the same then you deserve to lose your hobby. The right you don't excercise is the right you lose..

That's it for me in this thread.

Regards
Ari

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tbredhed
Took my drone to Egypt Completely off limits luckily they only took my batteries, No flying in London, No flying in Amsterdam, France you can but way away from anything cool, I did fly in South Africa but had to pay a police, ( I didn’t even ask questions I just payed) can barely fly in California nowhere cool , most of Florida is off limits, New York forget about it , Chicago No, I could go on forever. Yes the Caribbean you can fly all day and in Hawaii and Yes I have beautiful videos of so many bodies of water and there great, but also boring now. Is there any Historical sites I can fly legally???? Help !!! I’m about to give up on this hobby. Can’t seem to adapt any new gun Laws but pretty much ban drones everywhere in the matters of weeks ... smh .. are there any RC submarines I can buy !!!

Hmmmm....

Let's see....

Egypt: (If you had checked BEFORE you went you would have known there was some work to do to ease your troubles):
Egypt Drone Laws | UAV Systems International

Amsterdam: Near an airport (this would be the case most places in the world)
Drone regulations Amsterdam explained | Jobs4drones.com

London: Where you can and can't fly a drone in the UK

France: (Many, many places but since you can't fly in through the Eiffel Tower, guess that means it's not "anywhere cool.")
https://www.tomstechtime.com/france

South Africa: (Allowed but with sensible regulations that are quite common on other Countries)
What to know before flying your drone in South Africa

Caribbean: (It may take some looking and maybe even writing to the authority to the place you are going but far from your favorite word, "nowhere.") Caribbean authorities don't know what to do with drones

As far as your mention of any of the places in the United States mentioning "nowhere" or "nowhere cool" and your mention of "most of Florida is off limits" is simply not accurate. Downloading an app such as Kittyhawk or Airspace will help you find places you CAN fly unless you rather just point out all the places you CAN'T.

So, like others that seem to want to threaten to give up on the hobby and have posted in a forum about flying and having fun with drones - feel free. Also feel free to donate your drone to a high school STEM program where it might be used to further the inquiry and education of a young person. Checking ahead of time would have solved each and every one of the above mentioned troubles without blaming the hobby, the drone or the affected Country. Your merely having a drone does not, by any means, compel any Government to let you fly it unfettered or unregulated.

Why is it that people are so selective in what they want to quote or read?

In my first post the FIRST thing I suggested was that the O.P. obtain his part 107 and continue operating under his SOCs (standard operating conditions) the same as I do but at no time did I comment on what Standard Operating Conditions ARE in the U.S. or advise people to follow Australian regulations, further in a follow up post I urged people to "be sure of their ground".

Of course, the vocal minority who want to "play the man and not the ball" disregard all of that and just focus on the follow up suggestion "yellow vest" comment because that makes easy meat for the keyboard warrior brigade.

Talk about being selective in what you quote.

You immediately followed your suggestion about operating under SOCs with, and I quote, "If any police or anyone tries to approach then tell them they are breaching regulations by being so close, that they have no jurisdiction and please back away."

That advice is not only legally inaccurate here, it will most certainly not end well for a drone pilot in the U.S., Part 107 or not.

In the U.S. as here qualifications exist, if you hold those qualifications (which was the first thing I advised the O.P. obtain) then they impose certain responsibilities and also give you certain privileges which no "Sherriff B.T. Justice" can over ride because federal law trumps state law.......
In the U.S., local law enforcement agencies, from city police, county sheriffs and state police, enforce all laws, whether federal, state or otherwise. And an officer has a right to investigate to see whether you are violating the law. For example, you might be trespassing while flying your drone. There may have been a report of a suspicious person. Whatever. They're expected to investigate, and you can't just tell them to go away and leave you alone because you're flying a drone.

I can't understand how one could possibly be caught off guard trying to fly in another country or new area - research the drone laws BEFORE you go, and combine that with people's experiences online which are always easy to find with 10 seconds on Google. I have literally never had an issue or an unexpected encounter in many different countries including my own. I have contacted the equivalent of the FAA in other countries like Slovenia, Scotland and Croatia and they were extremely responsive and appreciative that I was doing my homework. It's so easy. Most of them even have an easy to read, translated PDF on drone laws.

Even in my home town I called the Bylaw services as well as the Police non-emergency line and I was surprised that I was allowed to fly pretty much anywhere within reason (excluding the obvious things like National parks) as long as I was obeying the general height and distance rules pertaining to people/structures/roadways etc. There are no shortage of places to fly - just take the 2 minutes to learn the rules and be respectful when you're out flying.

You can even fly in San Fransisco bay which I found surprising, and get some nice shots of the bridge, wharf, etc.

Guy's the OP posted 1 time . Have you not seen the pattern of that happening here .

I'm disappointed that National Park Service has taken such a hard stance on drones. Several states have followed suit with their parks. What is left are National Forests and local parks. I've had my best luck just along highways or adjacent to interesting places. With a little bit of scouting ahead of time you can find interesting subjects away from the crowds.

I may be wrong but seems to me if you launch it just 2 feet before the entrance to the park you are okay. Fly all you want over the park and then land it back over the line. I hear we are pulling out of UNESCO anyway so those UN restrictions will be gone soon anyway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito