DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there a better alternative to DJI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcsmatt

Reactions
I need to know if there is a better alternative to DJI for pleasure flying? I cannot afford all the drones and different controllers and incompatibility. It costs me more in time and money and sweat and tears than flying real airplanes. I’m not interested in manual home-builds. I just want to fly without having to spend $$$$$$$$ and time on all these different peripherals and updates and nobody knowing anything…. Everything should be compatible. any advice would be helpful to my wallet and mental health. I’m a Macintosh user, but that’s not the issue because I updated everything on a rented PC. So frustrated I just bought a new computer just to make everything work. Specifically I bought the Goggles 2 Integra and It was the most expensive downgrade from the V2 goggles I ever made (see my thread on dji forum). I’ve owned and maintained two ”real” airplanes and I am spending wayyyy more money and time on drones.. There has to be a better solution. I’m ready to abandon drones and take up kite-flying. Suggestions?

I need to know if there is a better alternative to DJI for pleasure flying? I cannot afford all the drones and different controllers and incompatibility. It costs me more in time and money and sweat and tears than flying real airplanes. I’m not interested in manual home-builds. I just want to fly without having to spend $$$$$$$$ and time on all these different peripherals and updates and nobody knowing anything…. Everything should be compatible. any advice would be helpful to my wallet and mental health. I’m a Macintosh user, but that’s not the issue because I updated everything on a rented PC. So frustrated I just bought a new computer just to make everything work. Specifically I bought the Goggles 2 Integra and It was the most expensive downgrade from the V2 goggles I ever made (see my thread on dji forum). I’ve owned and maintained two ”real” airplanes and I am spending wayyyy more money and time on drones.. There has to be a better solution. I’m ready to abandon drones and take up kite-flying. Suggestions?
I have the Autel Evo Lite + in my fleet and love it!

OUCH… another grand for An EvoLite for a grand? I’m thinking of selling all this crap and just buying another real airplane. Thank you though!
You asked, I answered. If a "real airplane" is what you want, just remember there will be things you cannot do that you can with a good drone. :)

Buy used off EBay, but look at sellers’ ratings and that you can return it.

I got a Dji FPV for $225 in perfect condition, a motion control ($80), batteries ($60-80), V2 goggles ($200). I am thinking of getting one for a backup bc I have seen them running cheaper than that.

I got my Avata refurbished from DJI for $505 with batter and charger. It does not look refurbished either as it had the stickers on it.

Reactions: Xitor

I got a Dji FPV for $225 in perfect condition, a motion control ($80), batteries ($60-80), V2 goggles ($200). I am thinking of getting one for a backup bc I have seen them running cheaper than that.

I got my Avata refurbished from DJI for $505 with batter and charger. It does not look refurbished either as it had the stickers on it.
Agreed, as I get closer to my DJI FPV care refresh running out, I will buy a spare FPV for cheap. Hopefully the FPV2 is out by then.

I need to know if there is a better alternative to DJI for pleasure flying?
There isn't.
There's a reason that DJI has more than a 70% share of the market.
DJI is the innovator and the smaller companies just try to copy what the leader does.
I cannot afford all the drones and different controllers and incompatibility.
You don't need to buy all the drones.
Just buy a good one.

yes, you are correct. Bay is the middle ground before craigslist or Marketplace. I still want an Avata, but I still like my FPV. It announces itself on start up... a grated steel-blade scowl. GRRRR. It's a drone I wouldn't want to be in a fight with

DJI is the innovator and the smaller companies just try to copy what the leader does.
So it that where we are now, the Chinese company is it innovative leader and everyone is stealing ideas from the Chinese and not the other way around? 🤣

I don't know how these lawsuits ultimately settled out but it's clear that DJI didn't invent everything and some of what they have may have come from elsewhere or at least it is questionable. One thing for sure, they certainly make everybody believe they are the smartest and like any Chinese company, they will insist they have never ever stole a single idea from anyone. Just give it time for LTE drone hype to die down and several years from now DJI will launch a 6G drone and claim they are the first ones to invent a drone that can fly using cellular signals and....people will believe them and look up to them.

List to what happens when challenged, did Autel copy from DJI?

There isn't.
There's a reason that DJI has more than a 70% share of the market.
Man save some of the DJI Kool-aid for the new guys.
IF the OP just wants a fun drone to fly around- LOTS of companies make them and just as good as DJI.
If you want a fun to fly drone that won't cost you a fortune may I suggest an E-max or Beta-fpv Drone . PyroDrone has a huge selection of pre-built drones and many are compatible with the controller and goggles you already own.
FPV Drones are like having your own private roller coaster except you get to say where it goes. Pure -fun and some of them only weigh 50 grams. There is a small learning curve when it comes to learning to fly them but its all WELL worth it. you will love it!

Last edited:
Think about getting a second year if you can, it's cheaper than the first year, at least it was for my Mini 2...
I always buy the 2-year program. With the new change to Care Refresh, it sounds like there is no more Refresh+ but you buy one year of Refresh and then you can buy (renew) another year at the same price if you don't get two years (which is a few dollars cheaper).

Reactions: LoudThunder
I don't know how these lawsuits ultimately settled out but it's clear that DJI didn't invent everything and some of what they have may have come from elsewhere or at least it is questionable.
DJI won on appeal when the patents Autel claimed were found to be invalid.
Listen to what happens when challenged, did Autel copy from DJI?
Yes ... the first model Autel released was a direct copy of DJI's Phantom 3.
Other subsequent releases from Autel have been heavily inspired by later DJI drones.

Nope, there isn't.

All competitors threw the towel except Autel maybe, but Autel drones are far less reliable and also chinese made.

The Lite + had (or have) sway problems on the gimbal, I also had to purchase two Lite + units as the first one was bricked from factory. Then I returned the second one when just at 60 hours of flying the motors start failing and refused to start. So yep, can't trust that brick randomly falling from the sky and putting me in some trouble.

Parrot has the same old Anafi drone, Skydio isn't releasing drones for hobbyist, photographers/videographers anymore and the others are either low quality chinese ones or startups.

Autel and Hubsan are an option if you want to avoid DJI geofencing, Areoscope and RID, but apart from that DJI drones are simply superior in every single aspect.

DJI is far from perfect, with bugs all around the place, nonsensical releases, poor software, too much babysitting, predatory marketing, etc, but at least build quality is quite decent and are quite reliable. I have around 550 hours of flight and not a single critical failure with my DJI drones. Yep, I had some incidents, software related mostly, but I always managed to return home.

Stated this several times, we need Canon/Nikon releasing some japanese made drones at a decent price, else drone market is going nowhere (just take a look at the "new" Mini 4 for example).

You won’t find perfection by chasing drones and accessories. That is not how this hobby works. Pick a single drone with just enough accessories to fly it for a long enough session - a spare battery or 2, and spare props for the inevitable crash. Go to an open field and practice flying until you are able to control it with confidence.

I have had a couple of drones serially since 2016 from DJI. All worked fine.

Agreed, as I get closer to my DJI FPV care refresh running out, I will buy a spare FPV for cheap. Hopefully the FPV2 is out by then.
I already done this. I picked up a “non working” DJI FPV off eBay for under $190, and in perfect condition, at least body wise. If I need to replace structural parts in the future, I’ve got em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne