DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there a dedicated controller for the Mini?

Taking my phone out of the case and attaching to the controller then losing the ability to use it as a phone.

So you want a controller with a built in screen for the Mini?
What would such a thing cost?
From what I remember reading, a phone, if not in airplane mode etc., still functions as a phone whilst being used as an app screen................BUT..........it seems to beg the question, why would you want to use a phone whilst flying a drone?
Would not a a cheaper option be to buy a screen device to use solely with the drone?

I get where you're coming from tbh especially if you rely on notifications on your phone when flying etc. I've stopped using my iPhone and instead use an older Android phone I had spare. It has a larger screen and battery anyway so I just leave it hooked up to the controller a lot of the time

Reactions: FlyoverDRN
You can fly the MM without a phone or mobile device hooked in to the controller. It'll happily take stills and video too, but you obviously don't get any telemetry or live video feed from the drone, and are basically forced to maintain VLOS.

That's probably not the solution you're after, though. Perhaps get a 2nd hand dedicated phone to use in it, like others have suggested?

I too find it a little bit of a fiddle to unfold the controller arms, antennae and screw in the joysticks, then connect up the phone and clip it in. However, that's the price to pay for a very compact controller.

i dont see set up as any different from my MPP, my sticks are left screwed in all the time ,as i have a hard case that does not require the sticks to be removed i find that the set up process is all part of the flying experience i have a dedicated ipad for flying and i leave my phone in my cars glove box when i fly ,i like to put all my concentration on flying ,and do not want to be sidetracked with dealing with a phone call while i am in the air ,we are all different i guess so being able to talk on your phone is fine if thats what you want to do,but for me its not something i could recommend

Taking my phone out of the case and attaching to the controller then losing the ability to use it as a phone.
You are talking to the converted of us that have the Smart Controller for the Mavic Zoom or 2Pro.

I yielded and went with an ipad mini for the Mavic Mini. My phone was also in a case and was just not as convenient. Although now I do use the ipad when sitting out in the yard to read news. Siri - get me NEWS! (g) Sometimes still connected to the Mini controller. Wish the Ipad had a separate charging port. Same for the controller!

Reactions: old man mavic
There may be a cable around that could connect everything to a power pack battery, I would purchase that.

I get where you're coming from tbh especially if you rely on notifications on your phone when flying etc. I've stopped using my iPhone and instead use an older Android phone I had spare. It has a larger screen and battery anyway so I just leave it hooked up to the controller a lot of the time

I just did that today with my wife’s old iPhone. Her’s has a bigger screen as well and it saves wear and tear on my case.

Reactions: Dov1978
I don't even
I don't even pull my phone out of my pocket anymore when I fly.
I have either a dedicated iPad pro or iPad mini that I use.
At my age if I am going to use something to look at the telemetry readings I want it to where I can actually glance down and read it.
My eyes aren't what they used to be.

Reactions: StubbornSwiss
I’m getting tired of all the steps necessary to get ready to fly using my phone with the regular controller.
If I may offer my quick and cheap solution to this problem which I also experienced and believe resolved.
First you need either a cheap tablet or ipad (I have the basic 5th generation regular ipad which is pretty cheap)
Second you need the following 2 items which I have shared a screenshot which I purchased both from Amazon
A)
Lekufee DJI Tablet Holder Mavic DJI Spark Tablet Holder for 4-12 Inch Tablets CellPhone, Lightweight Aluminum-Alloy Foldable Tablet Stand Holder Extender
B)
Universal Transfer USB Data Cable for DJI Spark Drone Remote Controller
After connecting with the abovementioned 2 items my Mavic Mini works FLAWLESSLY not to mention a MUCH larger screensive and response.
Hope this helps you as much as it helped me

Attachments

• DJI Tablet holder.png
    DJI Tablet holder.png
    254.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Universal Transfer Cable.png
    Universal Transfer Cable.png
    178.1 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Kyle76
Also if you have a bit of a larger budget check out my second solution which I also bought cheap used on Kijiji
A) DJI Goggles (YES they DO work with the Mini if you also buy the Wireless HDMI Adapter and mini charger)
I got the goggles used for $300 Cdn
B) HDMI Wireless adapter MPIO which works EXCELLENT
C) Mini Charger-Cheap on Amazon
I have attached images of all 3 products which I promise you work amazingly well...
PS
If you get the DJI goggles you may also want to consider an Sdcard as then you can store movies or videos which you can watch
Check out youtube for step by step how to set it up as it's pretty easy

Attachments

• DJI goggles.png
    DJI goggles.png
    172.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Wireless HDMI adapter Dongle.png
    Wireless HDMI adapter Dongle.png
    455.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Charger Mini.png
    Charger Mini.png
    348.6 KB · Views: 16
Also if you have a bit of a larger budget check out my second solution which I also bought cheap used on Kijiji
A) DJI Goggles (YES they DO work with the Mini if you also buy the Wireless HDMI Adapter and mini charger)
I have attached images of all 3 products which I promise you work amazingly well...
PS
If you get the DJI goggles you may also want to consider an Sdcard as then you can store movies or videos which you can watch
Hi Mitchfromtoronto.
Can you post the link to the setup video please.
Thanks

PS
I'm pretty sure you can fly FPV with a cheap pair of goggles and your own phone using litchi. I think I saw a video on YouTube of someone doing this. No need to buy all that extra stuff anymore.

Hobbies, when taken seriously, tend to get a bit expensive after a while. Doesn't matter if its RC, bikes, cars, photography and yes, even drones!

My suggestion (if you really want to take this hobby seriously and really enjoy it), is to get a dedicated device to use just when flying. Personally I have settled on the iPad Mini 5. Seems to work very well with my Mavic Mini and Mavic Air 2, running DJI Fly, Litchi and Dronelink software. No issues to worry about!

Again, this is just MY personal experience/opinion, and others may differ.

Stay safe!

Reactions: Rmcolon

Yes, taking off the case bothered me too. Look around your house because we usually have a few old phones. I resolved that using an old Samsung S6 phone exclusively for the MM. If I need Internet to run Dronelink, I just open a WiFi connection with my everyday phone and connect the old phone. Works nice for me.

I don't even

I don't even pull my phone out of my pocket anymore when I fly.
I have either a dedicated iPad pro or iPad mini that I use.
At my age if I am going to use something to look at the telemetry readings I want it to where I can actually glance down and read it.
My eyes aren't what they used to be.

is there a bracket for the big iPad Pro? i usually use my dev phone to fly but i need to upgrade my dev phone because litchi and dronelink aren't happy on an iPhone 6 ?

just pick up a used iPhone with a bad battery.. 6s is what i use and it has been flawless.. battery is only 40$ to replace and it brings the performance back to when it was new .. apple devices start performing slower with battery bad.. i have the iPhone for flying only and it is way cheaper than different controller

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair