DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there a filter best used to see in water??????

Gary Rowe

Reactions
I fly my MPP and PP4 over the Gulf of Mexico a lot. Just wondering if anyone has experimented with different filters to see down in the water. Save me from buying them all.

Polarized filters turned / oriented in the correct direction are great for this.
Could you further explain this please, I mean how do you know which way to turn them and how far to turn them lol?

Lol how canny is that:D

Edit, I’ll delete my post;)

Last edited:
Great vids guys! One last note. When you use any filter you can get more natural vids if there is slight motion blur. To do this set the camera settings to manual and then adjust the frame rate to 50 or 60 and adjust the iso to 100 (lowest possible). Note that any filter will require lower stops... this part is automatic so adjusting to reach these settings above requires having multiple filters. I use ND 4 through ND 60 depending on the brightness of ambient light. The monitor will tell you if you’re off by inserting horizontal stripes in areas of overexposure. May be TMI for now. Watch more vids on this also. Happy flying!

I would think the quickest way to rotate would be flying above the water, camera face down, and rotate the whole drone until you get a clear view. Then adjust the setting to get the require blur.

Reactions: Inspirephil
How about using a CPL for reducing glare from water or anything else that has glass, such as buildings that have a lot of glass features? I’ve always used this filter for whenever I fly over water, snow, etc.

Reactions: Thomas B
Polarized filters are the way to go around water! The normal settings of the Drone will not decreased the glare that you need. I do a lot of over water flying and it's amazing with polarized filters how much you can see below the surface.
On my drones I use polar Pro polarize series and it is awesome that you can adjust them. It is a little awkward to get the right polarisation but with practice it becomes simple

Reactions: Gary Rowe
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13