DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there a good way to buy a used Mavic Pro?

kbanes

Reactions
I'm thinking about going to look at one, that I think is going to bee too expensive.

I was just curious. Is there some kind of diagnostic that I can run on a Mavic to see if it has had any kinds of problems? Anything that I need to look out for?

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Former Member
You might check for a refurbished unit from a supplier with a good return policy. There could be damage that you cannot see on a used Mavic even on close examination. For instance water damage that may not affect the craft until corrosion sets in and the seller is long gone.

If buying from an individual, you could ask that they provide a video like DJI requires when purchasing refresh after 48 hours.

I wouldn't recommend buying second hand from a private seller.

Check the battery by turning on the drone and connecting to the app. You should be able to see how many times it's been charged. Might be able to tell how much use it's had.

I'm thinking about going to look at one, that I think is going to bee too expensive.

Can you share more details? How expensive is too expensive? Whats your budget and what will you be using it for?

Is this your first drone? If so, I would not buy second hand. It's best to buy a brand new drone from a reputable shop or reseller that will take care of you if something goes wrong with the drone, plus you will have a warranty and Refresh available. Refurbs are a good value and usually come with a warranty.

As @Mossiback said, "there could be damage that you cannot see on a used Mavic even on close examination." If you dont know about Mavics, be careful when buying used from a private seller. I have bought, sold and repaired almost 1,400+ drones, and if it has been crashed I can tell in a second. You might not be able to tell until its too late.

Reactions: Stormey
Don't buy a used drone unless you know the person and can trust them. I have friends that did the used route and boy did a few of them really get burned.

Can you share more details? How expensive is too expensive? Whats your budget and what will you be using it for?

I am this guy from Wednesday.

I am in a strange position. The engineering firm that I work for is doing some work for a power plant to perform an engineering evaluation to allow the use of an Elios drone within the power plant. While writing this evaluation, I saw a desire for the plant to want to also perform some flights outside the power plant, but they don't want to get tied up in having their people Part 107 certified. They also don't want to use the Elios drone outside, at $30,000 each.) I am trying to get my engineering firm to make a proposal to do the outside inspections for them. I would need to get certified and get some practice first. Lots of practice.(I can tell you that the type of inspections that they want are not overly complicated.)
My company is on the fence, therefore, I am on the fence.
I really want a drone, but I know in my heart that I don't need to spend a thousand bucks on a hobby. I am semi retired, but but money is not an issue. This would only be a continuation of a part-time job, but one that I think that I would enjoy.
If I KNEW that this was going to work out, I could be talked into a used Inspire. If it didn't, I might think about a Spark. The postponement of the Mavic refresh really hung me up.

I didn't pull the trigger on Prime Day.

A guy locally is selling a Mavic Pro, with 3 extra batteries for $1000. The regular story about having just flown it a couple of times...

I sent him an email and told him that I would like to come look at it, but I wouldn't go above $800. After sending the email, I was immediately sorry that I capped it at $800. (Should have just not mentioned a price but explained that I couldn't go $1000.)

I am still all over the place over what I want (or should get). I could do with new or used Mavic Pro, or Platinum. New or used P4P. New MP2 (or whatever it is). If I decide not to chase the commercial work, a Mavic Air. I can afford all, with spare batteries.

My preference is the MP2, with the hope that there may be something new on the camera front. I would really like it to have a different lens/sensor that is less of a wide angle. I really want to stay as far away as I can from what I am inspecting.

I have a suspicion that I may be in P4P territory when it is all said and done. But I sure like the size of the Mavic, again, when flying into the areas that I might be inspecting.

kbanes

I am this guy from Wednesday.

I am in a strange position. The engineering firm that I work for is doing some work for a power plant to perform an engineering evaluation to allow the use of an Elios drone within the power plant. While writing this evaluation, I saw a desire for the plant to want to also perform some flights outside the power plant, but they don't want to get tied up in having their people Part 107 certified. They also don't want to use the Elios drone outside, at $30,000 each.) I am trying to get my engineering firm to make a proposal to do the outside inspections for them. I would need to get certified and get some practice first. Lots of practice.(I can tell you that the type of inspections that they want are not overly complicated.)
My company is on the fence, therefore, I am on the fence.
I really want a drone, but I know in my heart that I don't need to spend a thousand bucks on a hobby. I am semi retired, but but money is not an issue. This would only be a continuation of a part-time job, but one that I think that I would enjoy.
If I KNEW that this was going to work out, I could be talked into a used Inspire. If it didn't, I might think about a Spark. The postponement of the Mavic refresh really hung me up.

I didn't pull the trigger on Prime Day.

A guy locally is selling a Mavic Pro, with 3 extra batteries for $1000. The regular story about having just flown it a couple of times...

I sent him an email and told him that I would like to come look at it, but I wouldn't go above $800. After sending the email, I was immediately sorry that I capped it at $800. (Should have just not mentioned a price but explained that I couldn't go $1000.)

I am still all over the place over what I want (or should get). I could do with new or used Mavic Pro, or Platinum. New or used P4P. New MP2 (or whatever it is). If I decide not to chase the commercial work, a Mavic Air. I can afford all, with spare batteries.

My preference is the MP2, with the hope that there may be something new on the camera front. I would really like it to have a different lens/sensor that is less of a wide angle. I really want to stay as far away as I can from what I am inspecting.

I have a suspicion that I may be in P4P territory when it is all said and done. But I sure like the size of the Mavic, again, when flying into the areas that I might be inspecting.

kbanes

Sometimes, the only way you will know if the drone is right for you is to figure out what your needs are, buy it, then go out and fly it and see how it feels. If you buy it from a place with a good return policy, and get Refresh or State Farm, you have little risk. I have (had) everything from a $99 Tello to $6000 Inspires, and for me, a Tello or Mavic is fine most days.

I feel for you Skinejosh78. I'm not sure how to offer prices for used drones. If you look on CraigsList, everything is brand new, only flown a couple of times, and they have $1600 invested in it. I would guess that things would be a little more trustworthy around here.

I feel for you Skinejosh78. I'm not sure how to offer prices for used drones. If you look on CraigsList, everything is brand new, only flown a couple of times, and they have $1600 invested in it. I would guess that things would be a little more trustworthy around here.

And there are people like me that are honest and take care of their possessions.

It’s easy to determine the value of an electronic, there really isn’t one after someone else had their fingers on it. And for DJI drones you can prove flight time and logs between the machine and the batteries.

I thought my deal was great especially with almost every OEM accessory brand new never used still in the box with DJI receipts. I guess people thought since I was selling for $500 and taking a huge loss they thought I would go lower LOL but I have sold everything off and decided to keep the MP remote and one battery.

Lesson learned for me!

Reactions: Youser
i've put my MP on sale here in Australia for $1100 and had 6 offers already, 2 for the actual asking price. my kit includes the fly more pack, + polar pro ND filters + prop guards, and most importantly, the plastic film is still on my RC :) my husband thinks i'm so OCD that i never take the plastic film off screens until absolutely necessary. I've taken great care of my drone, apart from the first/and last time i crashed it, fully replaced under DJI refresh. I've never used the prop guards, they seem like a great idea (friend has them) but they discourage you from properly packing away your drone. there are plenty of us who have taken good care of our drones. (esp those of us who use them for business so we really don't want to crash them)

It’s certainly true that when buying a used anything you must proceed somewhat cautiously, but one way to protect yourself is to only buy a unit that still has DJI Refresh coverage on it, like mine here::
DJI Mavic Pro Platinum Fly More Combo With Huawei Wonderphone; Pristine!! 190021279599 | eBay

That way if anything at all goes wrong with it while you’re checking it out, you’re covered.
maybe I should say "always landed on a soft cushion of virgin goose feathers"..... good luck to you, I hope we both sell our "always gently landed" machines. (mine's cheaper than your current bid, btw)

maybe I should say "always landed on a soft cushion of virgin goose feathers"..... good luck to you, I hope we both sell our "always gently landed" machines. (mine's cheaper than your current bid, btw)
Ya, but it's a real pain to get the feathers out once they get sucked into the motors. That's why I always land on sealed pillows filled with pure baby Alpaca fleece. They don't have them down there in OZ so I understand your limitations.;)
Good luck with your auction; Shipping a bird from there to here (US) or vice versa, would probably outweigh any differences in price of a well babied Mavic.

Reactions: geevee
i've put my MP on sale here in Australia for $1100 and had 6 offers already, 2 for the actual asking price. my kit includes the fly more pack, + polar pro ND filters + prop guards, and most importantly, the plastic film is still on my RC :) my husband thinks i'm so OCD that i never take the plastic film off screens until absolutely necessary. I've taken great care of my drone, apart from the first/and last time i crashed it, fully replaced under DJI refresh. I've never used the prop guards, they seem like a great idea (friend has them) but they discourage you from properly packing away your drone. there are plenty of us who have taken good care of our drones. (esp those of us who use them for business so we really don't want to crash them)
How'd you do? How much did you end up selling it for? Mine went for AU$1,400 (converted from US$ for your convenience. :))

brilliant result! I've had a guy ring and offer to buy but hasn't transferred $ yet. hmm. I'm in no rush, no MP2 stock in Australia til October and i'm off to Japan next week and more than happy to take the bird with me. the current new MP won't drop in price given the high price of the MP2, so i've got time.

And there are people like me that are honest and take care of their possessions.

It’s easy to determine the value of an electronic, there really isn’t one after someone else had their fingers on it. And for DJI drones you can prove flight time and logs between the machine and the batteries.

I thought my deal was great especially with almost every OEM accessory brand new never used still in the box with DJI receipts. I guess people thought since I was selling for $500 and taking a huge loss they thought I would go lower LOL but I have sold everything off and decided to keep the MP remote and one battery.

Lesson learned for me!
Just Just curious why would you keep the remote why sell off everything but keep one battery and mavic pro remote its nun of my business but just wondering why. O PS I WOULD OF BOUGHT IT FROM YOU IIF YOI WERE ONLY ASKING 500 I WOULD OC PAYED IT NO LOWBALLING

Just Just curious why would you keep the remote why sell off everything but keep one battery and mavic pro remote its nun of my business but just wondering why. O PS I WOULD OF BOUGHT IT FROM YOU IIF YOI WERE ONLY ASKING 500 I WOULD OC PAYED IT NO LOWBALLING
If you had offed 18 months ago, which is the age of all the previous posts on this thread.

btw... Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada